Impatience's AP Armor Build Log

Alright, its finally time.  I figured I've waited long enough to start a build that its time to motivate myself through starting a build log/diary, getting help and assistance where I can, and generally forcing myself to feel guilty about not working on it because I know my loyal watchers will be waiting desperately for each new post...and so it begins.

About 2 years ago I bought an AP armor kit with the intention of becoming a Stormtrooper.  However, I was in school and working full time so I knew I wouldn't be able to put any time into it as my weekends were almost wall to wall homework.  Last August I graduated with my Bachelors.  I managed to procrastinate until January when a friend invited me to a local garrison build party.  I took the virgin box, loaded it in the car, and went to the build party.  Got a few pointers on where to start and after getting home, with much fear in my heart, I started making my first cuts.

Fast forward to 10 months later and I really haven't achieved much.  I started with the arms and was having a hell of a time getting things to line up, couldn't even get the first arm to close with outside cover strips.  

This side looks pretty good to me, although there is definitely some overlap at the end, but from what I've seen thats not abnormal.

IMG_20151002_182530.jpg

The other side that isn't fully closed yet.

IMG_20151002_182609.jpg

This was where the issues came in, way too much extra, and it doesn't line up right.  There was no way to hold it into position and glue it at the same time.  No matter what method of clamps, tape, glue, hands, or feet.

IMG_20151002_182623.jpg

So I posted here and got some advice, which aside from the suggestions of boiling water baths and feared heat guns, was to try starting with inside cover strips.  So a few weeks/months ago, however long ago it was, I started down that path and things seemed to be more possible, but I haven't gotten too far.  I'm far more hopeful with this approach though, since even if things don't line up right, its much easier to "force" and glue it into place this way with inner strips than outer strips.

IMG_20151002_182645.jpg

So while I was getting frustrated and impatient with the forearms, I decided to switch to the biceps.  Again, haven't gotten very far on the trimming.  First pictures is the untrimmed, second is the other one that I have started cutting and trimming already.  BTW, in case I didn't mention this before, I just finally got the Lexan Scissors with curved blade.  After a few test cuts on excess ABS, they seem WAY easier to make precision cuts with than any other methods I was using.

Untrimmed

IMG_20151002_182712.jpg

The two trimmed pieces being put "together".  Still needs work...uhh, lots of work...

IMG_20151002_182743.jpg

Inner bicep piece from the end, leaving lots of extra in there right now, but need to trim it back.  Doing so with Lexan scissors will likely help do this easier.

IMG_20151002_182804.jpg

So anyway.  That's as far as I've gotten thus far in 2 years.  I hope to speed it up a bit as I have 3 more...yes 3 more...kits on the way arriving anywhere between next week and 3-4 months from now.  So I need to get some confidence, progress, and patience going or I'm just gonna bury myself in disappointment heheh :)  I will be attending the San Diego Makers Faire the next 2 days, so I'm thinking of bringing the legs, pencil, ruler, and Lexan scissors and doing a little trimming while I'm sitting there.  

Any feedback, encouragement, chastising, or other motivational methods welcome and appreciated!

Many times when gluing plastic armor together, one side gets attached and the other seam splays open questioning whether or not glue would even hold it. Hot water baths have not failed me with ABS. Even if there seems to be a lot of pressure, you can manipulate it in small increments. Find a pot big enough for the part you are heating. Get some twine and wrap the part compressing the halves to the point they meet up. NOT OVER LAPPED. Immerse in the nearly boiling water for 30 or so seconds and your part will be repositioned and much easier to glue.<br>

Just make sure the part you are working on fits you properly before gluing everything up. Do a dry run with tape. You can either trim and sand those stray parts that don't line up, or use a hobby iron to re-shape them to match the other half.

• Like 3

After talking to a few of the garrison folks, I'm leaving the forearms for later.  Now my plan is to focus on trimming the rest of the kit so I can bring it to a future armor party and do some test fitting with some folks that have done this before.  So tonight I just focused on trimming and sanding the thigh pieces.  Below is my "trimmed armor" table, which will hopefully quickly gain additional pieces :)  (It was quite nice to feel like I had accomplished something, as it has been a while....)

IMG_20151005_202920.jpg