About to order first kit

<br>

A couple of questions as I am about to take the big plunge. I apologize if these are answered elsewhere, and if someone points me to a pinned post I will be embarrassed. <br><br>

Getting ready to place my order for a kit for my first build. I am planning on getting the AM 2.0 as I am about 5'11" and over 200 so from what I have learned would be a good choice. They have 2 different kits one with helmet and one without. Is there any reason that I should go for the one without and get the helmet from another source?<br><br>

Anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger? I know there is all the other stuff I will have to get and will deal with that soon enough, but want to make sure I don't make a mistake with the kit.

• Like 1

Answer to your basic question is: unless you already have an approvable helmet why wouldn't you order it from them?<br><br>

Many makers offer that option. It allows people to buy the helmet ahead of time and build it while they wait for their armor to get ready, or maybe they just want a helmet for display and later decide to get the entire armor kit.<br><br>

Also, it is a better likelihood at your colors will match if you order them all together. Typically, the plastic used in making a kit from one supplier will all come from the same ABS supplier, so you'll have little to no color variation. If you get a helmet from one vendor, and armor from another, you run the risk of the color having some subtle differences at wont be apparent until you're wearing the armor and helmet and the colors are right next to each other. ;)

• Like 2

Welcome to the FISD Tim! Very wise words as well. I don't have as much experience, but you would be amazed at the differences in just a few different pieces. I would suggest the same supplier for the helmet and armor.

I wanted to jump into the discussion as well.  I am just about to pull the trigger on the Full Kit from AM.  I am about the same size, 6'0" and 215-230 depending on the season.  Anyone have any reason why i shouldn't go this route?  They are in stock, and I would love to get it together by Halloween.  Function is my primary goal.  

Hi there and welcome future troopers!!  Tim speaks the truth.  You'd be amazed how different ABS can look and how awful mismatched whites look together.  You really notice it sometimes when troopers use an outside source to cut their cover strips (the plastic strip that covers the seams in "butt joint and cover strip construction").  AM is good for larger troopers, and another option is RT MOD.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I think you are going to be just fine with the AM armor, Tim!   I have noticed that there are a large number of AM purchases lately, especially by those in your size range.  Hopefully most (including yourself) will start build threads, which will help not only you, but those in the future.  The one piece of advice I would offer is to "have all your ducks in a row" (be prepared) before your armor arrives.  Having everything you will need on hand and doing your research ahead of time will serve you well and make your build go much more smoothly, I promise.  It may seem overwhelming at first, but trust me, you can do it, just as we all did.  Take your time, ask questions, post lots of photos, and you will be out there trooping sooner than you think!  

Edited by justjoseph63