Buckets - decals vs paint?

Millar007

Hand painted = screen accurate, takes longer to do. <br><br>

Decals = less accurate, fast to apply, gets the job done quickly.<br><br>

Hand painted details or decals that look hand painted are required for Centurion level.

I believe it also depends on ANH vs ESB vs ROTJ. For ANH, definitely the hand-painted route is screen accurate. For ESB & ROTJ, it's my understanding that decals were used.

Hand painted for ANH. Always!

Unless you're like me and can't dip a brush in paint without in immediately getting it all over yourself, your work surface, and the piece you're painting. I like decals.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you're like me and can't dip a brush in paint without in immediately getting it all over yourself, your work surface, and the piece you're painting. I like decals.

-Eric

You should wear a smock and use newspaper to keep everything clean... Like my 5 year old. Lol!

-Eric

You should wear a smock and use newspaper to keep everything clean... Like my 5 year old. Lol!

A third alternative are painting templates you can get here, Jefferson..http://trooperbay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=templates.  These are nice because you can go the painted route and still get nice clean lines.. If you do use this method, I can give you a little advice...  after you have painted the background color, let it dry for at least 24 hours.  Apply the decals on top of this, and then put a thin layer of the background color (gray for tears/traps, white for tube stripes).  Let that dry for about 30 minutes, (no longer), then apply the black or blue in 2 thin coats, allowing 10 minutes in between.  As soon as the second coat is fairly dry, remove the templates, otherwise they may lift the background as well.

The reason for the thin coat of background color first is that if there happens to be any gaps around the template openings, the background color will fill them in, (no edge bleed).  They send you some extras, so you can experiment to check your results.  Hope this helps...