ATA helmet build...stumbling block

I've built a few helmets: MTK TK helmet, Tusken, Royal Guard, etc...

I'm to the point where I am almost ready to fit the 2 halves together. I have trimmed and although I know some trimming (around head opening) is still needed, I can't seem to see how it will fit together properly during a test fit.

I'm stressing over this helmet...something isn't right with this rear cap. It's not shape right. I know the ear caps cover it up but it's the bottom near the opening (on both sides) & the way it looks like there will be a gap left out that won't have anything for the black finishing trim to grab onto....

It's just a weird shape to the cap back. The sides are making me bonkers. The way they are it seems even after I put on ear caps it still won't look right.

The rear cap is lined up and centered on the faceplate via clamps so why are the sides giving me such a fit? Could it be a bad vac-form pull?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

603DD8C8-1A85-44E4-B3A7-BF29E8B5CCB9_zps

552E9620-EC0B-45CE-AFB2-42CB197FAC90_zps

77725CCA-BB6B-4EF8-9090-5C9C2D3073B8_zps

33500F3B-348C-4473-9224-2BAEE32E249E_zps

BD67F74B-3BAC-44A7-975F-82BF136ED951_zps

F009B237-93BC-47BE-AF45-A2989C58963D_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by silverBoyd

I've really not taken much away at all as far as trimming. The helmet is held together with clamps and even before I trimmed the rear cap wasn't lining up with faceplate as far as the sides and bottom are concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One side sticks further back than the other. I can't recall which but one side "just" has room for one rivet leaving a gap from front to back. Check my build thread.<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14806-how-to-assembling-ata-abs-helmet-1/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14806-how-to-assembling-ata-abs-helmet-1/</a><br><br>

Just line up the eyes evenly and clamp it in the ear area, and drill the upper bolt hole for the ears on each side.

I'm hitting my ATA helmet this weekend, so I am listening...  Thanks Terry for reminding me of your thorough build thread. :duim:  I know what I am doing on my lunch hour...

Jason, in your pix, it looks like there still might be the extra flashing on thelmet back around the tube areas that are preventing the back from mating with the front. Here is where you have yours now:

And here is where pandatrooper has the lines that need to be cut along the side and around the tube area.

5506800842_5a8d31efb4_z.jpg

I see you did trim some back on yours, but there still is rough edges and no curved opening for the tubes.

Just a thought...

• Like 1

the misalignment gets covered by the ears anyway and then the rubber s-trim.

Just cut accordingly and then put the screws in place. 

it may take a little manipulation, but it all comes together in the end.

thanks for the tips everyone.

I've been fretting over this piece.  This ATA is so different from other TKs I've assembled. As far as the sides are acting.  I spent 2 hours fine tuning and making small trims and here is where I am at.  I don't think I can trim anymore.  If I do, I won't have anything to grab onto when screwing the (2) halves together.

A28AFDD7-229C-4EE6-BBF2-95C29A6B2D1A_zps

6D4BE5D1-A4D0-4A9A-A18F-24012B72FD9E_zps

The "tubes" are lining up much better now on the sides

I know that many here will be up in arms about this.....but, when I was building my bucket, I used a heat gun to carefully, gently, and slowly mold the bucket pieces to line up correctly. 

I had a microfiber cloth in hand.  Then, I would heat up an area for only about 5 seconds in a circular motion.  I would NOT heat up an area with the heat gun in one location and stationary.  When the area was semi-softened, I would use the cloth to smooth over that section to align the side tube bumps better. 

Note, the ears will cover much of the misaligned portions. 

A262CA6C-2D3C-4C28-8783-D1A7413220E5_zps

E3C0EF04-8D14-41C3-A018-7823B051124B_zps

Panda....I took out more "real estate" in those areas and it definitely helped to pull things down to line up better.  I think I can still take just a few mm on the right side and then I think i'll be good to finally assemble and drill a few holes

Edited by silverBoyd

I'm hitting my ATA helmet this weekend, so I am listening...  Thanks Terry for reminding me of your thorough build thread. :duim:  I know what I am doing on my lunch hour...

Jason, in your pix, it looks like there still might be the extra flashing on thelmet back around the tube areas that are preventing the back from mating with the front. Here is where you have yours now:

And here is where pandatrooper has the lines that need to be cut along the side and around the tube area.

5506800842_5a8d31efb4_z.jpg

I see you did trim some back on yours, but there still is rough edges and no curved opening for the tubes.

Just a thought...

Exactly!!!!!

• 1 month later...