Repainting the TFA armor

darthmilk

Easy way is a paint stripper but I would try on some test pieces first. You can sand it using wet and dry sand paper and soapy water, the paper will last longer and the soapy water makes it easier to sand.

Easy way is a paint stripper but I would try on some test pieces first. You can sand it using wet and dry sand paper and soapy water, the paper will last longer and the soapy water makes it easier to sand.

I heard all paint strippers would melt plastic. What grit should I use to sand it down?

I heard all paint strippers would melt plastic. What grit should I use to sand it down?

If you are going to primer again I'd use 240 grit, if not I'd use a 400 grit paper.

Avoid any paint stripper that contains acetone, Brian, which will definitely melt the ABS.  Some great advice from Q about wet sanding..  I always suggest using Sandblaster Pro flexible sanding sheets from 3M, 220 grit.  I swear by this stuff!  It is made from silicone instead of paper, so is crazy flexible, (you can wad it up into a ball and it pops back into shape), and it seems to last forever!  I used only 2 sheets for my entire build, and am still using one of those for various projects.  I got it from Lowe's, but I would imagine most home improvement stores sell it as well.  Great for getting into small crevices and stuff.

• Like 2

Okay guys what paint are you using? Is white gloss paint good enough or do you have to clear coat? Thing is I consider myself an excellent painter but I can't paint clear to save my life. I want to get the best look and surface possible but it does make me nervous.