Cheese cloth lining of buckets

I was reading an ATA build and cheese cloth was added to give a great looking interior and I'm sure s little more strength. I was thinking about using plaster cloth. It's a plaster covered guaze used for model landscaping. I was thinking after its dried just brushing a 50/50 white glue & water over the cloth to seal it then paint it black....

I'm not that familiar with plaster cloth, so I am not sure if it would adhere to the inside of your bucket too well.    It also might make it quite a bit heavier than you'd like, depending on how thick you put it on.  I know that a lot of people use the brush on black Plasti-Dip and alternate that with layers of cheesecloth for the effect you are looking for....  the advantage being that if you ever need to remove it, it would be MUCH easier than the plaster, and is also flexible.  Just my 2 cents worth..

Yeah, you don't want much weight on your noggin. I did the plasti-dip/cheese cloth combo and it add a bit of weight, just enough to give the helmet a feel of real-ness and not just a plastic prop. AFAIK the cheese cloth doesn't do anything for strength, but it gives the inside a cool texture that looks very similar to the inside of kevlar helmets used by our military. 

• Like 2

Isn't that the stuff they make casts out of? That would be super heavy. My arm still hurts when I think about lugging around my hand cast from last winter I couldn't imagine wanting to add that to my head

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Plus I don't think it would adhere to the ABS so you'd be chancing it ratting around when you're trooping. Then there's the heat that plaster makes when it dries, does anyone know if it gets hot enough to deform a helmet? It was hot enough to be uncomfortable on my hand I think. It was a bad night so its hard to remember lol

I think I'm going to have to agree. I may skip this step and just plasti-dip this inside w/o the cheese cloth. Although the prospect of giving the bucket that extra bit of authenticity might be a good thing. I don't want to kill myself trooping but this may be a good neck workout to add some mass to my pencil neck lol

• Like 1

I would recommend a couple of things for using the Plasti-Dip... The first one is to sand down the inside and then thoroughly clean it before applying it, so that it will adhere better.  I did this, and I have a ton of electronics inside all held on with Velcro and have had no problems.  I didn't go with the cheesecloth as I figured I might have some trouble getting Velcro to stick to an uneven surface.  The second is be sure to mask off the eyes and teeth really well.  Over spray will come off with a bit of effort, though.

Lastly, whether you go with the spray or brush on method, go with several thin coats as opposed to one or two heavy ones, and let it dry overnight in between.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

I would recommend a couple of things for using the Plasti-Dip... The first one is to sand down the inside and then thoroughly clean it before applying it, so that it will adhere better. I did this, and I have a ton of electronics inside all held on with Velcro and have had no problems. I didn't go with the cheesecloth as I figured I might have some trouble getting Velcro to stick to an uneven surface. The second is be sure to mask off the eyes and teeth really well. Over spray will come off with a bit of effort, though.

Lastly, go with several thin coats as opposed to one or two heavy ones, and let it dry overnight in between.

Did you use the spray? I plan on using brush on