TFA Trooper Designation

Smiling Fox

Well, in the US Army and Marine Corps, that's what they teach, and it is why they all attend Basic Combat Training before their specific job training so I say definitely YES.

But... what do I know? ;)

They tell a lot what´s not true. And that is something you should know.  :D

You can hand out a gun to every soldier, but that doesn´t make them men of the infantry. Just cannon food.

Can't wholly agree with that statement.

As for my earlier statement, it is not to imply that they take a supply Soldier and put him on the front line. Rather, he is very possibly going to be assigned to a unit that is there. As a result, he needs to have the basic skills of an infantry Soldiwr and be and be able to perform in a basic role should the need arise.

Why would Finn, a sanitation Trooper, be out on the front lines? His unit was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They tell a lot what´s not true. And that is something you should know. :D

You can hand out a gun to every soldier, but that doesn´t make them men of the infantry. Just cannon food.

To add to Tim's point, whether you're the cook in the mess tent, or some corporal out in the field, a nurse, or even a doctor, everyone is a GI. I'm just thinking back to MASH here... They all wear the army greens.

Okay, devil's advocate here, so don't flame or ban me, but if the FO troopers are absorbed into FISD, wouldn't you want to consider renaming the detachment to FSD? The new troopers are most definitely not "Imperial"...

::ducking around the corner::

:D

LOL Instigator! Rabble rouser! 

Heh they are absorbed into FISD. We wrote the CRL :) 

-Eric

• Like 1

Okay, devil's advocate here, so don't flame or ban me, but if the FO troopers are absorbed into FISD, wouldn't you want to consider renaming the detachment to FSD? The new troopers are most definitely not "Imperial"...

::ducking around the corner::

:D

It would probably make sense to change the initials. Maybe First Assembly of Radical Tyrants or something more generic like that to accommodate everyone.

Edited by camprandall

Well that went downhill fast...

Or uphill!

Between the movie just being out... and elections in February. Not much is going to change around here on that scale. But we'll still be the best damn detachment community in the legion the prime source to help people build badass stormtooper costumes. So there's that :) 

-Eric

• Like 2

Or uphill!

Between the movie just being out... and elections in February. Not much is going to change around here on that scale. But we'll still be the best damn detachment community in the legion the prime source to help people build badass stormtooper costumes. So there's that :)

-Eric

That's all I could ever want. :)

Or uphill!

-Eric

As long as poop jokes aren't off the table, I'm game.

You poop on tables?

-Eric

Aaaaaaaand we're back at sanitation. The circle is complete. ;p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

To add to Tim's point, whether you're the cook in the mess tent, or some corporal out in the field, a nurse, or even a doctor, everyone is a GI. I'm just thinking back to MASH here... They all wear the army greens.

That sounds great, on the paper.

But when the shucks hits the fan, i would prefer to be surrounded by other trained infantry, not by cooks, transport drivers, engineers with a gun - which all are trained for their job, but with only basic skills at being a mudjumper.

For further clarification of this point, watch one of the best films ever made, "Patton".  Especially when he takes command of the base near Kasserine. 

Patton:  Where are your leggings?

Cook:  But I'm a cook, General!.

Patton:  Your' a soldier.

Patton:  Why aren't you wearing a helmet, Doctor?

Dr.:  I can't wear my stethoscope with it on...

Patton:  Then cut two holes in it...

Edited by justjoseph63

We had the same stupidness with our 3rd Reich Generals.

Aaaaand that's where I bring this conversation to a close. Take it to PM guys.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So this is probably not the right thread for this, but since you all are talking about it anyway...

Here's a crazy idea: how about overhauling the entire designation system to something that logically makes sense and is garrison based, instead of costume based? Every new member would still receive a chronological, numerically based designation, but they'd have alphabetical designations to identify which detachment and garrison they're with. 

Bear with me here...

For example, John Doe just signed up for the 501st, so he would receive the next available numerical designation of "12345" since he's the 12,345th person to join. Now, because he lives in Brazil, and within the boundaries of the Brazilian Division Garrison, he'd receive the prefix of "BZ." Since he's wanting to be a Snowtrooper, he'll receive the alpha-numeric suffix of "T3" (where T is for Trooper, and 3 is for the Snowtrooper variant). So when all is said and done, John Doe's daily designation would be "BZ-12345 (T3)." For daily trooping use, he could just go by "BZ-12345" or if we really wanted to keep it more in line with the movies, just use the last 4 digits and go by "BZ-2345." Chances of another "BZ-2345" ever existing are astronomically slim. Oh, and as for heritage troopers with only a three number designation, they'll get to keep those.

What about outposts? Well, same rules apply.
Jane Doe from Romania wants to be a Dark Side Force user, so she'll receive the designation "RNO-12346 (D2)," where "RNO" represents the Romanian Outpost, and "D2" represents Dark Side users.

Basically, all Garrisons would get a two character alphabetic designation, whereas Outposts get a three character one. And the T=Trooper and D=Dark Sider thing is just a placeholder. I think it'd make more sense if the costumes were reworked to be associated with A, B, C, D, etc, so that you can have Trooper equal something like "A," since Troopers were the first costume to be inducted, and any trooper variant would be a derivative, such as A1, A2, A3, etc.

Hope that all kinda makes sense. It'd be a pain to iron out all the details, yes, and I'm sure a lot of the older folks will be resistant to change, but it'd be a far more logical system for the designations, and would keep the "TK" envy at bay. It would also help set up for the future in that any new costumes would just be given an alpha-numeric designation, and put into a categorical subset, depending on what they are.

Thoughts? Hope that all kinda makes sense.

So this is probably not the right thread for this, but since you all are talking about it anyway...

Here's a crazy idea: how about overhauling the entire designation system to something that logically makes sense and is garrison based, instead of costume based? Every new member would still receive a chronological, numerically based designation, but they'd have alphabetical designations to identify which detachment and garrison they're with. 

Bear with me here...

For example, John Doe just signed up for the 501st, so he would receive the next available numerical designation of "12345" since he's the 12,345th person to join. Now, because he lives in Brazil, and within the boundaries of the Brazilian Division Garrison, he'd receive the prefix of "BZ." Since he's wanting to be a Snowtrooper, he'll receive the alpha-numeric suffix of "T3" (where T is for Trooper, and 3 is for the Snowtrooper variant). So when all is said and done, John Doe's daily designation would be "BZ-12345 (T3)." For daily trooping use, he could just go by "BZ-12345" or if we really wanted to keep it more in line with the movies, just use the last 4 digits and go by "BZ-2345." Chances of another "BZ-2345" ever existing are astronomically slim. Oh, and as for heritage troopers with only a three number designation, they'll get to keep those.

What about outposts? Well, same rules apply.

Jane Doe from Romania wants to be a Dark Side Force user, so she'll receive the designation "RNO-12346 (D2)," where "RNO" represents the Romanian Outpost, and "D2" represents Dark Side users.

Basically, all Garrisons would get a two character alphabetic designation, whereas Outposts get a three character one. And the T=Trooper and D=Dark Sider thing is just a placeholder. I think it'd make more sense if the costumes were reworked to be associated with A, B, C, D, etc, so that you can have Trooper equal something like "A," since Troopers were the first costume to be inducted, and any trooper variant would be a derivative, such as A1, A2, A3, etc.

Hope that all kinda makes sense. It'd be a pain to iron out all the details, yes, and I'm sure a lot of the older folks will be resistant to change, but it'd be a far more logical system for the designations, and would keep the "TK" envy at bay. It would also help set up for the future in that any new costumes would just be given an alpha-numeric designation, and put into a categorical subset, depending on what they are.

Thoughts? Hope that all kinda makes sense.

A nice thought however from a deployment officers point of view, I'll have to pass