TFA Trooper Designation

Smiling Fox

Pretty sure I heard TK a couple of times, but my hearing isn't that good ;)

Hey 5 different TK ID's in my collection, I wouldn't mind a FN for something different ;)

Perhaps that's a cool way for the Legion to approach it as well! If you are a former TK, you remain a TK. If you are new to the Legion as a Stormtrooper (like me) you are an FN!!! I like that idea!

BTW, my mistake on my post, it's Kylo that mentions clones, not Hux

The only issue with that is we are still known as "Vader's Fist" which would assume that everyone would be of the former TK generation when Vader was still alive. Unless "Vader's Fist" continued on posthumously without a rename, which is certainly another possibility.

I also thought I heard the TK-338 thing, but I can't be certain. Need to see it again and listen really close. Likely answer is as someone said before, TKs from the empire keeping their designation and new ones (like Finn who were basically trained their from birth) got the FN designation. Also they were talking to the 338 trooper as if they were a higher rank, so might be another thing to consider.

​Honestly even if true, I think a new designation would be better. I think it should be FN

The only issue with that is we are still known as "Vader's Fist" which would assume that everyone would be of the former TK generation when Vader was still alive. Unless "Vader's Fist" continued on posthumously without a rename, which is certainly another possibility.

Also true. Considering Vader is gone and the Stormtroopers are being continued under new order (and not one that follow's Vader), do they stay in the FISD or get a new detachment? I'm ok with new detachment honestly, as the Clones have their own detachment. And it would help separate the information with all the variations that exist and may exist in the future.

Also true. Considering Vader is gone and the Stormtroopers are being continued under new order (and not one that follow's Vader), do they stay in the FISD or get a new detachment? I'm ok with new detachment honestly, as the Clones have their own detachment. And it would help separate the information with all the variations that exist and may exist in the future.

Somehow I doubt we are going to restructure everything... We have something good going here and it works... Doesn't need to be fixed and re arranged, and then end up with more bugs than we have, if there are any.

Yeah I don't know how it all went down when the Clone existed, as I wasn't around for that, so no clue how this will go either. Just makes sense from a structure standpoint. And we are really early in the process, so it wouldn't be a big deal to do it. They would still be 501st, just on a different forum and different detachment name instead of FISD/whitearmor.

Edited by Insidi0us1

I would actually like to keep the TK destination. I have been tryn to hard to become a TK. And now with the FO armor about to be aapproved. That TK before my legion number would be awesome.<br><br>

But I do agree on the old empire having TK and the new trained from birth generation as FN.

In regards to costume designations, I think the powers that be will keep OT TKs as TK and FO TKs as FN for costume designations... So if you own both an OT and a FO trooper you could pick and choose from FN and TK when you wore those specified costumes...

Edited by TK 2759

Interestingly enough, TK wasn't the only designation for OT stormtroopers either. The new canon novel, Battlefront: Twilight Company, has a stormtrooper character serving in the 97th Stormtrooper Legion on Sullust with the designation SP-475 and it later goes on to mention other stormtroopers with the SP designation within her unit. Not entirely helpful with the FN vs. TK discussion, but worth pointing out that there is the possibility that each Legion (or smaller sub-unit of trooper) were given unique letter designations. That being said, "FN" could mean a particular batch of troopers beneath Hux's command - so many possibilities!

Interestingly enough, TK wasn't the only designation for OT stormtroopers either. The new canon novel, Battlefront: Twilight Company, has a stormtrooper character serving in the 97th Stormtrooper Legion on Sullust with the designation SP-475 and it later goes on to mention other stormtroopers with the SP designation within her unit. Not entirely helpful with the FN vs. TK discussion, but worth pointing out that there is the possibility that each Legion (or smaller sub-unit of trooper) were given unique letter designations. That being said, "FN" could mean a particular batch of troopers beneath Hux's command - so many possibilities!

I suspect "SP" has to do with them being stationed on Sullust. On Rebels, the TIE Pilots stationed on Lothal had the designation "LS". I'm not sure if this has been confirmed or not, but I know people have been talking about it.

• Like 1

I'm guessing they'll keep TK for now. What if they do FN, and then in EP8 they are SP, LS, etc. for stormtroopers. Then FN won't mean much.

• Like 1

I suspect "SP" has to do with them being stationed on Sullust. On Rebels, the TIE Pilots stationed on Lothal had the designation "LS". I'm not sure if this has been confirmed or not, but I know people have been talking about it.

It's definitely another clue, but Rebels brings about more issues, too. There have been a handful of designations from the Rebels series, three of which served on Lothal (BN-749, TK-626, MB-223), one serving on Tarkin's Star Destroyer Sovereign (JTN-303 [interesting to note the three letter scheme]), and one on Kallus's Star Destroyer Lawbringer (LS-005). Ezra also uses a made-up designation of LS-123 which could potentially link the LS prefix to Lothal as he had yet to leave the system at that time.

After a little more digging, I found this site which includes the following information. I don't see a source, but it could be the key to the "FN" designation we seek.

Protocol

In the field or when otherwise on duty, Stormtroopers are identified according to coded identification numbers; A two-letter designation indicates legion assignment, while each number preceeding identifies their regiment, batallion, company, platoon and squad.

• E.g. TK-132137 is the seventh member of the third squad, first platoon, second company, third batallion, first regiment of his (501st) legion.

Commissioned officers terminate their designation at their command level.

• E.g. TK-1321 is the Lieutneant in command of the first platoon of the second company, of the third batallion, of the first regiment.

To aid identification in the field, officers may elect to wear a coloured shoulder cover. Despite this dispensation, many choose not to do so citing its helpfulness to enemy snipers.

When addressing a superior of any branch, the correct term is always 'Sir' regardless of gender. A subordinate is identified either by their ID number when in the field or by rank and family name elsewhere.

Stormtroopers in battle armour do not salute, but do stand to attention circumstances permitting.

Interestingly, this information is not in the Imperial Handbook. "The Stormtrooper Corps" (Section IV of the book - do check out page 115 for a one-page spread on the 501st Legion!) section outlines "Formations and Deployment" (Squad->Platoon->Company->Battalion->Regiment->Legion) which does line up with the information from the site posted above, however the conventions of Stormtrooper designations are not mentioned at all. Unfortunately without a source, I can't verify the validity of the information above even if it does appear accurate.

The Imperial Handbook includes excerpts to a document entitled "The Imperial Stormtrooper Corps Field Manual" which would seemingly have all the answers, but that doesn't seem to actually exist in its entirety.

Still fun to try and find the truth! :)

Hi folks. For as long as I am DL (until March) I will fight whom ever (who ever?) I need to fight for all of our costumes to remain as TK.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

haters gonna hate! Let the TFA vs OT wars begin!

LOL you goof!

This has nothing to do with TFA vs OT. I purchased the anovos kit but I was too big for it. I sold it. I love the new stormtrooper. I have the figures all over my apartment.

But I still maintain that one designation for all stormtroopers is the right thing for the legion.

We are all stormtroopers. This semantical, nit picky, and time wasting discussion does not change that.

-Eric

But I still maintain that one designation for all stormtroopers is the right thing for the legion.

We are all stormtroopers.

To be honest - i´m not sure about that.

Stormies and Sandies have different designations - and they are (in my eyes and opinion) closer than the old and the new toopers.

I doubt there is any empire-era stormtrooper still within the condition to serve as a grunt.

...as higher ranking personnel maybe but not in the field.

There seem to be different designations and it is probably no troop type designation even if some people at one point thought that would be a brilliant idea.

In a logical fiction it would be something like the unit or their home system they were collected.

As they were drawn into service from several systems it might be that they had traditional regiments like the british units (i.e. in WWI).

So either made up from one planet or one system.

FN might have been the abreviation of the Falleen system for example and TK from the Troken System if you go by the maps.

In reality it is probably just a coincidental decision like the myth with TK-421 being the abreviation of a crew member and some digits of its social card number.

The same could apply to FN plus the already mentioned hommage to the THX-1138 inspiration.

The legion abreviation system - in my eyes -  is a grown mess with no logic and ill tradition except for the TK hommage in the first place (and if it would have stayed like that).

I think while the new troops probably can stay within their repsective detachments it would be wise to distinguish between empire and first order within the legion.

• Like 2

To be honest - i´m not sure about that.

Stormies and Sandies have different designations - and they are (in my eyes and opinion) closer than the old and the new toopers.

That was more about the evolution and the path detachments took at the time than a planned logical separation between TK and TD based on costume differences. See Daetrln for a history lesson. FYI I think Mepd came first before FISD.

I guess the thing to do if the FO's want FN in front of their number they may want to nag the LMO to create a new detachment for the new stormy. He may say that there are enough variations to support that. (I don't agree)

But if you do decide to be more self contained please do elect Clint Randall the first DL.

If it stays on FISD it remains TK for as long as I am DL (unless the LMO tells me to do otherwise)

What happens when they're called something else in EP8? Or they're called TK a lot more often?

Word.

-Eric

• Like 3

I agree, Philipp - as its presented the designation system is pretty messy. Though still fun to try and make it work in some sort of organized system somehow...I guess. :P

Because TK-338 exists in the film, there doesn't seem to be a reason to replace TK with FN for FOTK's. If a new Detachment rises in the wake of the film, then perhaps it's worth the change. Also worth noting that General Hux still refers to them as "Stormtroopers" in a discussion with Kylo Ren which may further the argument for including them here.

Spoiler!!!!<br><br><br>

there's three troopers that were called FN in front of their call number. <br><br>

so I guess we're FN-Troopers now. :P

Could have sworn I heard a TK designation. I'm about to watch for second time. I'll confirm. Watching previews now.