Anyone tried all USB helmet power?

To power helmet fans in the TK helmet I came up with the idea to keep it all USB.

Use one of these batteries attached with Velcro and USB connect to this USB hub which has on off switches for each further USB connection.  Then use these fans strategically in the helmet to provide airflow.  The all USB components should make repair and upkeep super easy.  Plus swapping batteries should be easier than swapping 9V batteries in a case.  The battery and the hub should fit nicely in the bottom cheek area of the helmet.

The only negative I really see is the 3x3x1 fans.  That might be a bit larger than ideal and also thicker than most helmet padding.

What are your thoughts?  Has anyone tried anything like this?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys.  My prototype build using the fans listed went great.  However, only the largest helmets would support a 3x3x1" fan.  So the micro squirrel fans that everyone uses will be my route to take.  I just have to buy the heat gun and some heat shrink tubing to seal it all up.

Also it might be important to cover the exposed USB ports with these so that sweat doesn't short out the switch.

Unless you have another need for the heat gun (really helpful when building armor), you can get by with a hairdryer or even a lighter/candle.  Just don't get too close or hold it still for too long with the open flame.  I used to use a cigarette lighter (when I was a smoker) while doing instrument and controls wiring.  Works in a pinch when you don't have an outlet nearby for a heat gun.

• 4 weeks later...