ANOVOS plastic

TK4205

I started trimming out another ANOVOS TFA kit last night and I couldn't help but notice the change in plastic. This kit has a lot thinner plastic for lots of the parts. I'm talking too thin for trooping. It also looks as though they have swapped out ABS for HIPS. I didn't inspect all of the parts, but the ones that I did inspect were all polystyrene. 

The first TFA that I built, from the first wave was all thick ABS. The new kit weighs about half of that. I never heard that ANOVOS was changing plastic, so if they mentioned it already, I missed it.

• Like 1

This really annoys me as I purchased a kit based on the ABS of the first ones.

if they have switched to crappy hips thats too thin what the hell.

I mean not only are most of the helmets cracked and have issues, now we have sub par armor?

For a ridiculous price?

That is not good news at all!

Can someone high up in the food chain contact ANOVOS and get some clarification?

I ordered my kit and it is supposed to ship at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not good news at all!

Can someone high up in the food chain contact ANOVOS and get some clarification?

I ordered my kit and it is supposed to ship at the end of the month.

Would they also inquire about the TFA helmets that they are selling as a separate item for $200? Hopefully not thinner plastic. Thanks

Looking into this. I know thinner plastic gives better detail, and it wouldn't make sense to make it so thin that it's not troop-able. Have not seen the "Standard Line" injection-molded helmets yet in person, but hope to get my hands on one later this month. 

• Like 3

I can vouch for the thinner plastic.  My kit has it.  I share Wyatt's concerns about durability for trooping.  

On more than one occasion, I've had a guy "slap" the chest plate, or kind of "punch a bicep" just being a "guy" not necessarily being malicious and there's never been an issue with my TK.  I do have concerns about the plastic in my TFA kit sustaining those types of interactions without crushing/buckling or destroying paint that will ultimately be applied.

I don't have any personal experience with HIPS armor, so I wouldn't be able to ID it if I did have it, but the plastic is almost a golden yellow, compared to the ABS, and it is only some parts that appear to be the different plastic.  Yes, the details are absolutely beautiful, but I'm already mentally planning on Plasti-dipping or Fiberglassing the interior of a number of parts, to ensure durability.

I've been assured by some TFA armor owners that all of the ANOVOS kits are indeed all ABS, but some of it as of late, is definitely on the "almost too" thin side.  Thanks, Dean.

I ordered my kit on September 1st and here is a "The Marketing Kit Details" section excerpt:

Armor pieces (from neck to ankle) made from white ABS plastic, replicated from assets created specifically for ANOVOS by STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS' armor manufacturer.

So, if the material changed, I expect that ANOVOS would have mentioned it.

Edited by JODOKAST

The chest and ab are thick and high in detail. All of the smaller parts are thin, the TD is a lot thinner.

I didn't see all of the parts yet, but it looks like all of the high mileage parts are thicker. 

The chest and ab are thick and high in detail. All of the smaller parts are thin, the TD is a lot thinner.

I didn't see all of the parts yet, but it looks like all of the high mileage parts are thicker. 

Having the fiddly to trim TD thinner doesn't sound like a bad thing :)

-Eric

I did notice the variance in plastic width not only when comparing some parts to others but also within the same part - an uneven pull perhaps? The TD (sans back plate) is probably the thinnest part overall. The calfs was probably the part that has the most uneven thickness. Overall I still think it will withstand trooping though.

For reference purposes - I received my kit around mid/late June.

Edited by Vertex

I'm already mentally planning on Plasti-dipping or Fiberglassing the interior of a number of parts, to ensure durability.

I've never tried either of these techniques. I checked the tutorials but didn't find anything. Would you mind giving a brief description of how to these techniques?

Keep in mind that I've never done them either. :D

There are a lot of tutorials out there for plasti-dipping the insides of helmets. That's what I figure I'll follow.

Essentially, you take either the plasti-dip or the fiberglass (I know you can get fiberglass kits at Hobby Lobby) and you "paint" it onto the inside of the armor and allow it the necessary time to cure. Then, you sand it to get the proper thickness/smoothness that you want - kind of like larger scale bondo, I suppose. You're just creating a thicker layer of material with either one of them.

When it comes to this stuff, I'm kind of like Indiana Jones... I just make it up as I go along. :D So far, it has worked out alright for me. ;)

• Like 2

Hello all, my buddy and I have barely started trimming but I saw this and wanted to get some input on a product as I too am inspecting my armor and see some areas that could use some support for regular trooping.

Fiber fix is the brand

If it doesn't harm the plastic, it appears to create a very strong bond. Application: to reinforce areas such as that back piece☺ and/or just to assemble.

Cutting into strips seems feasible.

http://www.fiberfix.com/product/rigid-patch-2x8/

Or am I completely off? Thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello all, my buddy and I have barely started trimming but I saw this and wanted to get some input on a product as I too am inspecting my armor and see some areas that could use some support for regular trooping.

Fiber fix is the brand

If it doesn't harm the plastic, it appears to create a very strong bond. Application: to reinforce areas such as that back piece☺ and/or just to assemble.

Cutting into strips seems feasible.http://www.fiberfix.com/product/rigid-patch-2x8/

Or am I completely off? Thanks again

The 2 concerns i have about that stuff would be possiblymaking it too rigid and taking away armour flexibility and The cost, depending on how much you wish to reinforcethat could be expensive... Edited by AWOL

Keep in mind that I've never done them either. :D

There are a lot of tutorials out there for plasti-dipping the insides of helmets. That's what I figure I'll follow.

Essentially, you take either the plasti-dip or the fiberglass (I know you can get fiberglass kits at Hobby Lobby) and you "paint" it onto the inside of the armor and allow it the necessary time to cure. Then, you sand it to get the proper thickness/smoothness that you want - kind of like larger scale bondo, I suppose. You're just creating a thicker layer of material with either one of them.

When it comes to this stuff, I'm kind of like Indiana Jones... I just make it up as I go along. :D So far, it has worked out alright for me. ;)

Thanks for posting this, I am in the beginning stages of armor shopping and was wondering if adding fiberglass to the inside would work. I want armor that not only looks accurate but feels like actual armor. Any tips and tricks for getting this done?

Okay, just heard back and I'm told that according to the Material Safety Data Sheet used in production, the material has not changed from ABS. They did say that some parts are now using a 0.003 thinner plastic, presumably for the improved detail. Again, I am not an expert so I'm only going by what I'm told. If someone has the material analyzed and can send me documentation, I'll pass that back along to ANOVOS in case their supplier is trying to pull a fast one. Thanks for your patience while I checked with them!

• Like 1

0.003 has no bearing at all in "troopability" or stability. Once the piece is assembled it is as sturdy as ever. but... to each their own.

Edited by TK6682

0.003? Its nothing if losing it from 0.090.<br>

Im awaitin my armour and i have to say wot should b an excitin journey is a nervous 1 now.<br>

Ill av paid best part of $2500 for mine which includes shippin and import duty into the uk.<br>

So for that kinda money id expect a dam good kit, and so should others.<br>

Ill just sit back n wait patiently for now but obviously nervous.

0.003 has no bearing at all in "troopability" or stability. Once the piece is assembled it is as sturdy as ever. but... to each their own.

Do you agree with the MSDS in that they have not changed from ABS to HIPS?