TFA Functional Belt Boxes build tutorial

ukswrath

In this tutorial I'll be making the right two vertical belt boxes functional at the same time maintaining visual and mounting requirements

NOTE: This is obviously optional, not mandatory.

NOTE: Also, I suggest performing this procedure only after the boxes are ready to mount on the belt (fully assembled except for attaching front and rear sections) prior to painting.  

Objective:

To create a inner bracket system securing the front box cover to the rear back plates allowing the boxes to become functional. 

Steps:

1. Measure the distance between the front box inner wall to the back plate inner wall. Subtract the front and rear section plastic thickness.

2. Subtract the thickness of the Velcro 

3. Create brackets. 3b. Bend brackets (Velcro mount)

4. Cut and adhere Velcro to brackets and backplate

5. Test fit

6. Glue brackets to inner side of front box

7. Final check

Material:

2"x5" Cover strip material (or similar)

2"x2" White Industrial Strength Velcro (or similar)

CA glue & Zap-A-Gap

Tools:

PPE (Safety gloves & glasses)

Exacto knife

Steel Ruler

Head gun

Wood (or similar)

These are the boxes that will be reconfigured 

Anovos_SWVII_Stormtrooper_IMG_4646%20out

1. Start by measuring the overall depth of the small and large, right, vertical boxes (with or without the back plate, it doesn't matter). 

NOTE: Depending how you trim your boxes your measurements may vary from mine. The depth of my boxes are a couple mm short of the once molded return edge.

1a. Subtract the plastic thickness of the front boxes and rear back plates NOTE: The plastic thickness is about 1mm, maybe 1.5mm

Small box measured 18mm (the camera is a bit off in the image). Subtracting the plastic thickness I ended up with a 16mm distance between the front box inner and back plate inner walls.

Small%20box%201.jpg

Large Box measured. 31mm. If you assembled the top portion of the box you'll need to take into account the plastic thickness in that area, which could be 2-3mm. Subtract the 1mm for the back plate and you have approximately 28mm distance between the front box inner and back plate walls.   

Large%20box%201.jpg

2. Measure Velcro thickness - Using Velcro brand, 2" wide, White, Industrial Strength the thickness was found to be 4mm.

IMG_3087.jpg

Velcro%20width.jpg

2a. After subtracting the Velcro thickness (4mm) the brackets will need to be the following lengths:

Small box bracket - 12-13mm

Large box bracket - 23-24mm

3. Cutting the Brackets - NOTE: Take the overall length of the bracket (above) and add 7-9mm. We are going to heat and bent this section to be used for the Velcro mount.

Using cover strip material or something similar in strength, measure and cut the brackets accordingly. 

Width - 50mm or 2"

IMG_3099.jpg

Length - 

Small box bracket - 13mm

Large box bracket - 24mm

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3100b.jpg

3a. Cut into sections.

IMG_3101-crop.jpg

3b. Bend brackets. In this section It is best to have a vise or bench clamp you will need both hands free. 

Using a straight edge scribe the plastic once with a exacto knife at the bend line. Though not absolutely need it will assist in the bending.

IMG_3102.jpg

Place plastic between two pieces of wood (preferably with 90 degree corners) exposing the 7mm section. Leave around 1mm above the woods edge.

IMG_3129.jpg

Evenly heat the exposed section for about 10-20 seconds, or until pliable.

Note: Have a third block of wood or something similar ready to do the bending. 

Bend%202-crop.jpg

Using the 3rd block of wood fold over. Hold for about 10-20 seconds.

You should be left with this.

Bend%204.jpgBend%206.jpgBend%207.jpg

Measure to ensure the overall length is correct.

Small box

Bend%208.jpg

4. Measure, cut and adhere Velcro to back plate and bend on bracket.

Cut Velcro to 10mm in length.

IMG_3089.jpgIMG_3090.jpg

4a. Adhere hook side of Velcro to back plate. 

When installing the Velcro on small box it will be placed at the top and bottom sections edges near the return edge. 

Small%20Box%202.jpg

When installing on the large box place the Velcro about 2-3mm from the return edge on the rear back plate to account for the step in the front box.

Large%20box%202.jpg

Large%20box%203.jpg

It should look similar to this when finished.

Velcro%20box.jpg

4b. Adhere loop side to Velcro to Bracket 

Small%20box%205.jpg

5. Test fit before gluing

Test fit the assemblies prior to gluing especially since you don't have any extra boxes in case you mess something up, right?

Attach brackets to back plate via the Velcro.

Small box 

Small%20box%206.jpg

Small%20box%2010.jpg

Assemble

Small%20box%207.jpgSmall%20box%208.jpg

Large box 

NOTE: Remember to take in account for the front box step.

Large%20box%205.jpgLarge%20box%207.jpgLarge%20box%208.jpg

Success! Moving forward.

6. Gluing

Remove back cover. Apply CA glue to bracket base.

NOTE: Ensure the glue is only on the bracket mounting edge. Anywhere else you may inadvertently glue the back plate to the box.

Small%20box%2011.jpgLarge%20box%2010.jpg

Carefully assemble

Small%20box%2012.jpg

Spray Zap-A-Gap around edges to accelerate the cure times in case glue may be spreading to areas it shouldn't.

Small box

Small%20box%2013.jpg

Large box

Large%20box%2011.jpg

After dry remove back plate.

Small%20box%2014.jpg

Small%20box%2015.jpg

Small%20box%2016.jpg

Large%20box%2012.jpg

At this point I suggest applying more glue to the mount area.

Large%20box%2013.jpg

Finished!

Finished%201.jpgFinished%202.jpgFinished%203.jpgFinished%204.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 3

Nice work could also use hinges and magnets

My first thought was magnets then I recently wiped my discover card because it got too close a magnet, hinges is a good idea also. Actually all you have to do is pull the top portion of the box open and the lower velcro stays intact 75% of the time anyways, I guess that's a decent hinge. Thanks Q.

BTW I need to post my mini gun on your thread. Excellent idea.  :duim:

• Like 1

Even after all the flack I've given you the last couple days, I am humbled. Thanks Brian

I give credit where credit is due. To make a tutorial THAT detailed takes time and passion. You, Sir, have my respect.

You can't teach passion. Something I've learned over the years. Those of us who truly care about troopers helping troopers, will find a way, no matter how delayed (me), to bring information, knowledge, or nun-chuck skills so everyone else can benefit. Love this detachment!

• Like 1

I give credit where credit is due. To make a tutorial THAT detailed takes time and passion. You, Sir, have my respect.

You can't teach passion. Something I've learned over the years. Those of us who truly care about troopers helping troopers, will find a way, no matter how delayed (me), to bring information, knowledge, or nun-chuck skills so everyone else can benefit. Love this detachment!

Well thank you again.

THT  :jc_doublethumbup: