LadyInWhite Phasma Build

UPDATE 12/23/15 - TUTORIAL IN PROGRESS HERE.  https://goo.gl/QZYhBE

--------------------------------------

From 13 September 2015:

Hi, all. I've been slooooowly chipping away at my armor and it's time to get building. It's been a long while since March and I hardly remember what I'm doing. So many pieces!!!

My plan is to build a general white TK for now which will be modded for Phasma. I'm still looking for a helmet to mod so if anyone has a cracked one or something proportionate and workable (not the RFP early ones) let me know :) I have many details for her mods but I need the basic build first.

Tips welcome!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post-15432-144218339377_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Any photos like that are beyond helpful, you have no idea! I did not get to see the suit in person at D23 so if anyone has any photos close up or weird angles, yay!

I am told those are C3PO fingers, maybe close enough... I can do them without plastic, in any case.

• Like 1

Well if Germain's pic is accurate in any way this is going to be interesting to say the least. There are either items not included (which you may be able to buy later) or will need to be modified as illustrated here.

11998810.jpg 

If there were a checkered waving emoji I would be waving it.    :jc_doublethumbup: 

I think I've already glued everything wrong!!! :P Just kidding. I feel rusty.

I glued biceps, thighs, and shins. I have a long way to go. I spent an extra 2 hours battling my internal craftsmanship foreman on the biceps which I had apparently not finished detailed trimming...

All those mods in that photo... awesome, I didn't even notice on the hand plates! She has a LOT of parts to contend with making new.

The Stony Props looks pretty good... any news on how to reach them?

Very awesome! I'm also building a Phasma, but I'm way behind you, hah. I started with the helmet though, https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/232946074/fan-made-helmet-kit?ref=shop_home_active_5so far I've found it a smidge small, and the chin was wrong (convex instead of concave) but i'm working on it heh. It might not be what you're looking for, makes sense to wait a bit longer for more accurate version if you've got the time.

I've got budget to worry about so I'm doing it slowly in parts, but I also want to build something to help out the community to, so I'm planning on starting work on her finger armour soon. I'd love to use some of your hand measurements to figure out the right size to make them.

• 1 month later...

OK Sorry this is the slowest dang build ever.

HELMET ARRIVED!!!! Most exciting thing since March! It's a Thorsson, nice size and good quality, seems to be pretty accurate as far as I can tell, and came with bubble lenses which I do not look forward to seeing through (but probably better than my TFA helmet's lenses!). 

---------------------

I have a lot of work to do. I wish I still had my flexible work-from-home-on-your-own-hours job!!! hhaaha Anyway I can't seem to do it after school so I need weekends. Excuses excuses.

I have analyzed photos from the mannequin at D23 and made a list of all the parts to create from scratch. Most of it is pretty do-able. I have a source for 3PO fingers to attach to the gloves. Her gloves are not TK gloves but something more like thin leather driving gloves. Should be easy to attach stuff to. She has extra hand plate parts, extra double shins held together with mylar/sliver tape, foot plates, all sorts of fun stuff. The hardest thing to get right will probably be the cod, which is pretty much a hockey jill that I thought would be easy to find and modify but they all seem to be weird shapes now, but I will keep looking. Like online. Duh, I forget about online sometimes.

Her blaster is just a chromed D-11 or whatever it's called, the TK blaster. It looks "bigger" but honestly I don't see any actual proportional difference based on her hands. She is a big but skinny woman and the blaster may look bigger from foreshortening or who knows what -- I don't think it will matter in the initial build but if it is different I will source it afterward.

I laid my hard rubber gaskets out and measured and will be making lycra versions. If it comes out well, I will make you all Lycra versions!

So that's the latest, more soon!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 3

Fair warning on this.  If you plan to chrome the suit, painting your suit now would be counter productive in the long run.  The amount of clean up and  re painting will be more time consuming then going straight though.  Worked on a few 3p0 suits for people and the metal process is a pain. 

• Like 1

Fair warning on this.  If you plan to chrome the suit, painting your suit now would be counter productive in the long run.  The amount of clean up and  re painting will be more time consuming then going straight though.  Worked on a few 3p0 suits for people and the metal process is a pain. 

I think I am good to go straight to Phasma and not go white. So no painting before chroming. Some parts are not chrome, they are more of a brushed metal, mostly the additional parts. I'll be working on that this weekend.

I GET A WHOLE WEEKEND TO WORK ON HER!!! 

Special thanks to Ray Choi who is going to salvage my bondo disaster, and to all my Squirrelfriends who have been putting up with my obsessive chats, growing pains, and helping with stupid questions.

• Like 1

I'm acquiring things to make the things.

I'm really stumped at this freaking cape. Is it tarp? Is it clear-coated or plasticized canvas or denim... or something much more complicated and rare? It is shiny... but it is thick and dense. It's lopsided. It has pockets on the outside and jean stitching. This is no Vader cape. This is hell. 

Anyone have a clue? Insider insight?

12183973_10153810791913313_2745323701952

My first guess would be something like denim. Synthetic fiber can be extremly shiny. So my guess would be something denim like with synthetic, shiny, white weft and black cotton or even wool warp.

On the picture to me the surface looks frayed. If that impression is correct, I doubt that it is coated or painted, since that would prevent fraying.

I've started a picture reference library for Ep.7 ~ TFA costumes for our UKG members,

hopefully some of these may help with some of the details :)

Captain%20Phasma%20CA%20Plaque.01_zpsyqp

Captain%20Phasma%20Helmet.01_zpskvrk2jks

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.11_zpshw1iop1h.jpg

TFA%20Capt.Phasma.09_zpslhffto9s.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.08_zpsmom3pt1v.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.09_zpsn1g4msz2.jpg

TFA%20Capt.Phasma.04_zpshnf8266y.jpg

Cods.02_zpsg9h3pj92.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.40A_zpsoa12j3fe.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.36A_zpsgnpxz2n7.jpg

CP%20TFA%20T3.03_zpsrncy7u8z.jpg

RMcQ.Compare.02_zpsyxkvxfef.jpg

CP%20TFA%20T3.01_zpszarf1bn7.jpg

:)

• Like 5

HOLY SMACKS, BILLY! THANK YOU!!!!  Just that sign alone helps! I did find out it is canvas -- drop cloth, actually... so I bought that!

I spent most of today and yesterday buying things to make into other things and then some time making the things. And some of it worked out and some of it not so much.

( A ) Where do I get a flame trooper cod? Who is making those?! Is Anovos the only maker of Star Wars costumes for TFA? 

I made my own today, converted from my cod. It looks a little narrow but I was "measuring" from the various 60 or so photos I have from D23. And so there is no going back - this girl will fly! The temp cod will suffice until I get a flame trooper cod.

( B ) I also made the wrist greeblie thingies, shaped from wood, to be sealed. Upon review, they are too long and have some additional shaping to make them more "right" ... until such time as I can get them "perfect" :) They weren't hard, just time consuming.

( C ) I got a bunch of bondo-ing done, but my bondo skills suck and it just means I have 200 hours of sanding b.s. ahead of me. Ugh.

( D ) There was something else but I can't remember what. OH! Helmet!!! I trimmed the helmet all nice and sharp, and cut out the eyes, and sanded stuff and it's better than my shock trooper lid and better than my TK eyes... I must be getting better at that.

12063699_10153811783858313_6977510773432

Oh and I am not sure but I am starting to think the connectors on the lower shins are the same treated canvas sprayed silver/metallic. They're kind of like mylar but not, and they are not duct tape as I originally thought from the Vanity Fair photo in front of the castle.

• Like 1

Interesting to note that she seems to have a double chest plate:

And thanks for the pictures Billy! I was wondering where the UKG was on the TFA stuff ;). I can't wait to see pictures of your armor kit.

I've started a picture reference library for Ep.7 ~ TFA costumes for our UKG members,

hopefully some of these may help with some of the details :)

Captain%20Phasma%20CA%20Plaque.01_zpsyqp

Captain%20Phasma%20Helmet.01_zpskvrk2jks

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.11_zpshw1iop1h.jpg

TFA%20Capt.Phasma.09_zpslhffto9s.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.08_zpsmom3pt1v.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.09_zpsn1g4msz2.jpg

TFA%20Capt.Phasma.04_zpshnf8266y.jpg

Cods.02_zpsg9h3pj92.jpg

UKG%20TFA%20Ref.40A_zpsoa12j3fe.jpg

CP%20TFA%20T3.03_zpsrncy7u8z.jpg

RMcQ.Compare.02_zpsyxkvxfef.jpg

CP%20TFA%20T3.01_zpszarf1bn7.jpg

:)

Way to go Billy :):salute:

• Like 3

Interesting to note that she seems to have a double chest plate:

And thanks for the pictures Billy! I was wondering where the UKG was on the TFA stuff ;). I can't wait to see pictures of your armor kit.

What the!!!  Maybe it's just built differently since they didn't want to build 2 of them.