Electrical guru needed

OK, let me preface this post by stating that I have no effing idea what I am doing when it comes to electrical stuff. But I decided to do something ambitious, anyway, and now I am predictably stuck. I could use some help from one of you electrical wizards out there.

I am trying to install a small 3V aquarium pump in an old Hasbro blaster, in hopes that it will make a nifty squirt gun. My thinking was that I could just remove the light at the tip of the barrel and run those wires to the pump instead, which would pull water from a small reservoir in the back of the gun and squirt it out a tube in the muzzle whenever the trigger was pulled.

After battling to get the gun open and wiring it up, the motor does not run. (everything else still works) I have two identical motors, and tried both of them, so I do not believe the problem lies with the motor. Could it be that there is inadequate voltage getting to the pump? If so, is there some way to increase it? Any guidance would be helpful. 

Photo of my science experiment below... 

blaster_test.jpg

I am obviously testing the components before fitting them into the gun. Perhaps my question was too vague: does anyone know why the motor should not work, assuming there is adequate voltage? (I will confirm voltage with a multimeter, as soon as I get my hands on one). If voltage proves to be inadequate, does anyone know how I can increase it without frying something? It seems like the 3v battery pack (which appears to be wired in series) should push a 3V motor, unless the current is being restricted along the way....right? 

I don't suppose someone has a wiring diagram for one of these things? 

OK, I bought a multimeter and tested the voltage reaching the motor. It appears to have adequate voltage (2V, which isn't great, but should get it to do something) but it does not appear to be receiving anywhere near the required current. I don't know how much is enough, but assuming I'm measuring it right, it is only getting 8 milliamps, at best. Based on what I've heard, it is happiest with one to one and a half amps. So how do I get more amps?

First off, hello.<br>

Now, your common AA puts out I believe approximately 1.2-1.5v at 4mah.<br>

So even in series your short on amps.<br>

Put that together with less volts then recommended, and the fact that the motor is seeing a "load", your just not giving it enough juice.<br>

You could always wire in 2 more AAs in series to increase amps, but your still short.<br>

With proper amperage it "should" turn the motor even at 2volts, but will be considerably weak.<br><br>

Now the bad news....<br>

With proper volts and amps I highly doubt you'll get the water output needed or desired.<br>

Even with a pressure producing nozzle, I just can't see it working.<br>

If you really want to push on with the project, you might want to look for a "high flow" pump.<br><br>

Do try hooking up 2 more AA in series and see what kind of an output you can get.<br>

Also you can try a single 18650 battery.<br>

They put out 3.7v and come in a variety of amp ratings.<br>

Keep in mind, 1000ma=1a.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Robert