HWT Pack parts (help)

Hellfire272

Hey guys, Im doing research on the pieces needed for my pack. 

I got the box kit from QuarterMaster and I know what I am going to use for the other pieces. My issue is, 

What do I use to attach it all to the oil pan? Do i use bolts? rivets? screws? and what size?

I assume I need to rivet the straps to the pan but other than that, I have no idea how to attach the pieces. 

This is what I did, Andrew...  I used 1 1/2 inch long coarse thread machine screws and some Liquid Nails adhesive to hold the boxes on.  I cut out the center portion of the oil pan on the back (the side that faces in), which gave me easy access to get the screws in.  After that, I purchased a sheet of black craft foam from Michael's, cut that to fit around the opening, leaving about 1 inch extra all the way around, and super-glued it over the opening.  (See photo).  I like it because it will not scratch the O II plate on my armor, and allows a bit of room for it to sit flush against my back.

For the straps, I used the 1 inch machine type bolts to hold them on, and put washers/nuts on the inside.  I also used these small plastic screw covers to cover the heads, (purely aesthetic).  You can find them in the specialty area of Lowe's, but may have to ask where they are.  In the 2nd photo, It shows one of them open, (they snap closed over the screw head).  In the first photos, they are all closed.

You could also use the nut/bolt/washer method to hold the boxes on as well, but I have done many troops with mine, and have had no problems.

Side note:  If you are considering one of Tony's (ukswrath) HWT TK radio chatter speaker systems to integrate into it, it is probably better to do it first, but it can be done at a later date like I did.  You are welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions.  Hope this helps!

20150905_115208_resized_zpsqk5f4vxm.thumb.jpg.4c7006469f574b39eab5a9000b581273.jpg20150905_115140_resized_zpsi7m0hdel.thumb.jpg.3cfbacccbddcc035bc4b3271f6134234.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

I retrospect, I actually wish I had not used the Liquid nails, Greg.  When I went to remove the "radio" box to mount the speaker inside, it was difficult, so say the least.  Got er' done, though!