HOW TO: Modify your armor to walk 1,000 miles

Hello All-

Kevin Doyle of the 501 Mile Walk stayed with me on his walk down the coast and then again on his walk back up the coast.  Both times he stayed over, I asked him the same question: "How can you walk so many miles each day in your armor?"  Kevin was averaging anywhere from 20 - 40 miles a day.  He once went two days and three nights without taking his armor off, (although he says this does not smell pretty.)  He checked the fit of my armor, and helped me make some little mods here and there, (although he said mine fit better than 99 percent of the armor he's seen.)

He said the key is to take off very small amounts at a time, as these minor modifications can make a big difference in overall fit, (and it is hard to put the plastic back once you have cut it off.)

I asked Kevin if he would explain his mods on video.

Kevin's armor will soon be on display at Rancho Obi Wan.  After (more than) a thousand miles, it needed to be retired and was being held together with duct tape in places.  It will make for a very cool display item and part of our 501st history.

- Diana

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Not at all sure how I missed this post, but I'm happy that i found it. Great piece of history there for sure, and it is awesome to get insights from a Trooper who has taken such a journey! Thank you, Diana (and Kevin)!