Stecksstore Snaps

----------

Has anyone tried these snaps?  They seem comparable to Tandy but at a much cheaper price than what I found Tandy going for on Ebay.

I know Tandy is the recommended brand but any money I can save is a plus.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Haven't heard of these, Kirk, but they are exactly the right size.   I would also like to find out if they are of Tandy style quality, because that price in phenomenal!

So I took the plunge and decided to order these.  I checked out their website, and they are a full-blown leather store just like Tandy.  It would be hard to believe that a leather company would sell sub-par snaps.

You can check it out here:-----------

I bought a bag of 100 snaps and a snap-setting tool for approximately $28, including priority shipping.  I've never worked with snaps before, so I've taken your guys word about Tandy being a higher quality than Dritz.  Although I have nothing to fall back on, I'll let you know how these turn out.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Got my order today.  I ordered them last Thursday night and they shipped first thing Friday morning.  Would have been here Monday except for the holiday.  

Here is a picture of what I got for $28.

-------------

I've never worked with snaps before, but they look good to me. Maybe you snap experts will be able to tell from the picture if these are good quality or not.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Well if you actually have 100 there you have a few extra to test out. Put some on some elastic and just reef on it and see it you can break it. You'll know bad snaps when you're using them.<br><br>

I've never used them on armor yet but I used to make fishing vests with my mom when I was a kid. I liked the hammering involved so the snaps were my job.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so here is my verdict on whether this is a good buy or not ---- it depends.

Here is this picture.

--------

The snap on the right (black) is a stecksstore.  The silver one on the left is a Dritz snap you can find at Joanns or Walmart.  You'll notice the stecksstore snap post is much longer.  When you place the snap in small material, such as nylon webbing, you get this.

----------

The post does not bend down far enough to allow the female part of the snap to connect because the post is sitting flush with the lip.  This does not happen with the Dritz snap because of the shorter post.

I think the stecksstore snaps are a great deal - if you have a thick material you are placing them in so the post sits correctly inside the snap base.  I ended up having to buy Dritz snaps because it would not sit right in the small, thin webbing and because I don't have the tools to shorten the post.  If you can shorten the post, these will work.

Hopefully this explanation helps.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

If you haven't attached the Dritz snaps yet, please do't use them.... trust me on this.  I made the mistake of using them on my first go round, and they come undone unbelievably easily.  I ended up having to replace every single one, which was a paint in the butt-plate to say the least.  Better to stick with Tandy.

Hey, just saw this thread looking for a snaps source. Do you think that by adding another layer of nylon or maybe a washer, these could work? I'm having a bit of a hard time finding good and affordable snaps in Canada(Montreal area)...

My snaps will be the next of the To-Do list.  I'm thinking along the same line as =Sv3=...

I plan on adding a nylon strap tab between the snap head and the elastic so removing the snaps will not stretch the elastic.  I have a fear that pulling the elastic all the time will stretch it away from around the snap head.

Has anyone else done something similar?

Good idea about adding the nylon strap, Jeff, but you can also fold over the elastic at the end to double it's strength, (especially the white shoulder bridge elastic).  This is what I did, and it has held up really well.  

Hey, just saw this thread looking for a snaps source. Do you think that by adding another layer of nylon or maybe a washer, these could work? I'm having a bit of a hard time finding good and affordable snaps in Canada(Montreal area)...

So I decided to try this today. I took the nylon and folded it over itself, putting two layers together. I put the female snap in and tried it out --- worked like a charm. Fit perfectly!

So I think these would be a great deal and worth getting as long as you account for and deal with the longer posts.

I'm going to be using these now to finish my strapping and replace some pieces I messed up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I decided to try this today. I took the nylon and folded it over itself, putting two layers together. I put the female snap in and tried it out --- worked like a charm. Fit perfectly!

So I think these would be a great deal and worth getting as long as you account for and deal with the longer posts.

I'm going to be using these now to finish my strapping and replace some pieces I messed up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool!! Do they look sturdy to you?