Pencap510's TFA Build Thread

Pencap510

Next time we hit Joanns I'll get the specific names and I'll update you guys. As for orders, I'm trying to convince my wife to do a small run of 10 - but she insists on mastering this first. Updates to come- very excited :)

I may be interested in a set if this comes to fruition. 

• Like 1

I may be interested in a set if this comes to fruition.

I'm with Tony on this one. Interested. I'll try my local joannes and have an idea but her skills far exceed my own. Thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

So for those who were interests in which fabrics were using, here are the two. This first is the top or outside layer, the shiny one:

SjA85st.jpg

The second is the bottom layer (inside)

DdtuftK.jpg

I think I've got her convinced to do a small run when she finishes these first two sets. Truth is - each elbow is took roughly an hour and 45 minutes not including trial and error, so I've got know idea what she's ask for them- for now---We're on to knees next :)

On a side note, this is crazy... There's just at 10 YARDS of yarn in EACH ELBOW. that's nuts!,

Edited by Pencap510

So - as I wrapped up strapping, last thing to do before I could fully assemble the belt was to paint. This is my first crack at painting armor, and after several 400 grit sand in sessions, felt I was as ready as I'd ever be. So this is my first layer of paint. There are plenty of little touch up areas- but all in all I feel like it went pretty well. Oh yeah/ and if your starting the TFA armor- a great quote comes to mind from a dear friend of ours lol

MCfzlqA.jpg

Here is some of my first layer-

UpqZ78c.jpg

Y3EFyno.jpg

h6b2fKZ.jpg

acNlKGv.jpg

YtkolaS.jpg

LnT1C6h.jpg

NCZMYQv.jpg

mLTdEFR.jpg

vqmhBVe.jpg

XCK7Jx0.jpg

ht2FHU4.jpg

i3EyPpZ.jpg

QMPTBkH.jpg

Now gonna give it 24 hours or so - light sand the few drips- and re paint :)

Absolutely- the results were better for my first coat than I could have expected, that said I still have a lot of touch up to do. So here are my weapons of choice.

JcbQSSQ.jpg

I choice to use Krylon Fusion for many reasons. 1- recommendation. It came strongly recommended by many of my very tenured and experienced legion mates. 2. Experience. My experience (building my sons Baymax Halloween costume) with rustoleum was terrible. From the density of the paint, down to the "stream" in which it seemed to spray, I simply didn't like it. The Krylon Fusion mists really well- and has a pivoting nozzle that can make the most vertical or horizontal. I like that. You'll also find the can holder gun thingie. A MUST HAVE

So basically - I sanded like a mad man with 240, smoothing everything out. Once I had it where I wanted it I did an overall sand with 400 grit paper.

I used a light damp micro fiber towel to clean all remaining dust off before beginning. Now being in Florida I picked a cool day (cool here is 77 degrees with very little humidity lol) with no breeze. I saw every one else with very detailed paint set ups- with plastic sheets, and I simply didn't have that luxury or time. So duct taped some newspaper to a small table and did. 3-5 pieces at a time. It dries to the touch within like 15 minutes, so I'd move them to another table and repeat.

Next step- light 400 sand , getting out any blemishes- repeat the paint. For my 3rd and final coat - I'll do a light wet sand before painting. If all goes well- I'll finish up with the clear can you see above.

And for the record. The entire kits first round of light paint was about 3 cans.

Hope this helps!!

• Like 1

So did my second coat of paint today, and the only two pieces that are driving me nuts is the chest plate (where I did the insert) and that damn TD. . Everything else is coming along nicely. I'm gonna give this a few days to set it, then do a light wet sane before doing my third and final coat. Then I'll wrap up with clear coat.

MrjovTk.jpg

Fn7k1ow.jpg

DxSJkyN.jpg

And here is the pesky chest piece. I've not yet figured out how to tackle this

But when your right up on it you can see the lines. From a foot away, in a troop you'd never notice, but it's driving me ding batty -

0WhL07r.jpg

Edited by Pencap510

Sometimes the thinner in the paint can soak into previous coats of paint and also primer and it can sink, I would think the only way to get rid of the lines would be wait until it dries fully, sand and paint again.

If they are too deep you can use spot putty, easier to sand and you can wet sand, shouldn't damage the paint

• Like 1

Yea spot putty is definitely the key here. I'm starting to see faint lines here and there in my build also due to obviously missing some fine detailing during my pre paint prep. Full cure time with my type of paint can take up to 60 days, which unfortunately may also reveal more discrepancies.
Awesome work.

So question- I'm going to do the wet sand (then some putty fill) before doing my last coat of paint. I'm doing wet sand because- well everyone says to do it before final coat - but can someone she some light as to the purpose? What does the wet sand do that the regular light sand does not ?

Thanks

Wet sanding stops the sandpaper from clogging, doesn't leave as much dust and it also removes small flecks and imperfections in the primer, you get a better sand wet than dry in my opinion

• Like 2

So I snapped these right before my last coat of paint - and clearly before the clear. This is full get up, minus shoulder gaskets (almost done being sewn), spats, gloves and assembled belt. Oh ya- elbow and knee gaskets aren't attached either so they started to slip a little -

g3vfyWg.jpg

VDPoroa.jpg

Pretty decent mobility - still not great though. Suit feels SOLID on-

• Like 3