Hand Made First Order TK

How did the new mold end up coming out?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Had an issue with my first attempt, so I will be re-pouring silicone tomorrow. Should have a sense of how it turned out this weekend! Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

mitcheg - 

Couple questions.  Are these lids still for sale?  Regarding some of the enhancements you've recently listed (such as the updated vents, etc) - have those been made to your primary casting mold?  Is there a sale thread somewhere that I'm missing?  Interested in potentially ordering one of these buckets.  

Thanks in advance.  

Success! My new matrix mold worked out really well. Minor blemishes and flashing that are easily resolved with a little glazing putty! First pull came out good. It always has some "junk" left from the master in the mold and I apparently had a little bubble near the kill stripe, but I can fix that!

615388C9-A50F-40D8-A0C8-71F28626BE60_zps

92CFDE67-07F5-4CED-96DE-F236A053EF16_zps

F714F3CC-28A9-4A64-9EF6-49BC0B431B38_zps

D84DD296-D666-41A1-8FBC-A051CD62C996_zps

Now time to get crackin'!

• Like 4

I was having trouble with the nose as well, with my previous mold, but after doing it this way I"m pretty happy with it. IT used a ton of silicone, but I"m not so hot on fiberglassing due to the fumes, so a big block of silicone suited my purposes, and keeps the cast part very consistent.

The way you molded your helmet. this looks like you did a cavity mold? Cover the master in clay to make the fiberglass mothermold. Then once that cures take it off and then fill the empty space with the silicone?

I thought about this, and it's much faster but I'd be worried about all of the overhangs trapping bubbles. Under the brow, and under the neck. How did you combat this?

More enhancements in the works.

I made a minor tweak to the beak to pull it in just under the visor. It's very subtle, but feel it's more screen accurate. I also am trying a different mold approach as I've struggled with getting good beaks.
3AB06814-CA10-4778-ADED-414B1F1865BC_zps

It was a cavity mold. I drilled small holes in the fiberglass at various places to allow the air to escape and then would plug them with a screw as I poured! It worked well!

As far as it being quicker, not sure I think is was quicker, but it did ensure a constant thickness of material, producing a better cast.i had a major issue with my first attempt at this cavity mold! I failed to properly secure my master so when I poured the silicone, it floated! Nothing quite as frustrating as throwing out $200 worth of silicone!

• Like 1

It was a cavity mold. I drilled small holes in the fiberglass at various places to allow the air to escape and then would plug them with a screw as I poured! It worked well!

As far as it being quicker, not sure I think is was quicker, but it did ensure a constant thickness of material, producing a better cast.i had a major issue with my first attempt at this cavity mold! I failed to properly secure my master so when I poured the silicone, it floated! Nothing quite as frustrating as throwing out $200 worth of silicone!

Been there, done that :D My first paint on mold I had to destroy after 4 layers because I realized that I had failed to add on the frown mesh to the master before molding.

Second mold I had to destroy because the glue I used to hold down the mesh was E6000. Even fully cured, E6000 and silicone don't play well together so it was a mess.

The third one worked... but now I'm thinking about a 4th one and how to improve the casting/pouring now that I will be starting to rotocast them.

I've got much respect for your work and keeping at it, going back to improve things as needed.

Very minimal! I'm very pleased with how it came out. Biggest improvement is no more divets on the back of the helmet.

Did you put the cut on the underside of the chin?

I thought about this as well, to basically roll the silicone off of the casting. The undercuts are just too much for this, so maybe a cut on the front and back just to uncover the return edges?

Did you put the cut on the underside of the chin?

I thought about this as well, to basically roll the silicone off of the casting. The undercuts are just too much for this, so maybe a cut on the front and back just to uncover the return edges?

No, the only split in my mold is along the back. I've had no issues with the undercut on the chin. Edited by mitcheg1

• 4 weeks later...

I swear, your helmet looks just like the ones the Disney Launch Bay Stormtroopers use! If not, more accurate ;)

Out of curiosity, what is the price on the helmets?

Edited by Par_

I was wondering, are you doing another run in the near future? And what the price point would be?

This is just curiosity (which obviously killed the cat xD)

Edited by Par_

I have a v2 and am slowly finishing it. I am painting slowly but the helmet is very smooth. I am hoping to have mine done this weekend. *maybe*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FAR OUT!!!!

I am totally blown away with the whole build!! Most impressive!!

(I'm curious about price shipping etc of this wonderful helmet.)

Oh and congrats on approval.

Edited by 9934

• 3 months later...

Your kit looks incredible!  I'm currently taking up the challenge of 3D printing an entire First Order Stormtrooper kit, but I'm having some issues scaling the helmet correctly and I can't seem to find the standard helmet dimensions *anywhere*.  Would you be able/willing to perhaps send me the dimensions of yours?  Using the plane that the visor creates would be extremely helpful for me in sizing this correctly.

Captain Phasma just notified me that I have been promoted!

I am now Officer FN-33724!

5F084E07-FAE2-4BC3-927E-5C2120B8C6F9_zps

I see you got my last paulron. You need my updated pauldron. I'll send you one if you promise to update your pictures;)

• Like 1