Hand Made First Order TK

The red arrows indicate what a few if us believe to be decals, judging by what appears to be a air bubble indicated by the green arrow.

TFA%20bucket.jpg

Greg we're not judging your exceptional skills or your fabulously crafted bucket, if the questions are new to you then welcome to the FISD :D . We're just curious armor builders and wearers and want to see your product advance in accuracy. A lot of us here love to personalize our armor for various reasons. Ex. My question regarding thickness is because I will be grinding on the interior to prepare it for a hard hat insert and I need to know how much thickness I'm working with.     

Keep up the good work  :salute:

Edited by ukswrath

Honestly the way it sits on the head.  When I put mine on, it sat square to my head vs the anovos one that has kinda a down ward tilt look to it exposing the rear of the head more than expected.  The size of the helmet feels better too.  I also like the way this helmet wont need to be sent back several times for replacement issue.  ;)

The places you pointed to are the places I would love to see a decal added.

Theres not much to mod to me in the long run honestly.  I hate the ratchet helmet system with a  passion so I wont use that. I've watched Greg build this from the start.  When you overlap his helmet with pics its a really good match.  Can you nit pick a slight curve here and there im sure, but from what I can see its  pretty solid.  Now I know its a roto cast helmet and its not a multi part polyurithaine assembly, but for trooping this helmet is lighter weight, and will serve its purpose far better than the fiberglass super helmet.  Also for people like me who believe rustolium paint is the devil, its really nice to have a helmet that will match the paint I am gonna use. 

Again I know people will pick things apart here. But for what it is, I think this is the way to go

• Like 1

Honestly the way it sits on the head.  When I put mine on, it sat square to my head vs the anovos one that has kinda a down ward tilt look to it exposing the rear of the head more than expected.  The size of the helmet feels better too.  I also like the way this helmet wont need to be sent back several times for replacement issue.  ;)

Theres not much to mod to me in the long run honestly.  I hate the ratchet helmet system with a  passion so I wont use that. I've watched Greg build this from the start.  When you overlap his helmet with pics its a really good match.  Can you nit pick a slight curve here and there im sure, but from what I can see its  pretty solid.  Now I know its a roto cast helmet and its not a multi part polyurithaine assembly, but for trooping this helmet is lighter weight, and will serve its purpose far better than the fiberglass super helmet.  Also for people like me who believe rustolium paint is the devil, its really nice to have a helmet that will match the paint I am gonna use. 

Again I know people will pick things apart here. But for what it is, I think this is the way to go

Thanks for the feedback Jason. 

Greg we're not judging your exceptional skills or your fabulously crafted bucket, if the questions are new to you then welcome to the FISD :D . We're just curious armor builders and wearers and want to see your product advance in accuracy. A lot of us here love to personalize our armor for various reasons. Ex. My question regarding thickness is because I will be grinding on the interior to prepare it for a hard hat insert and I need to know how much thickness I'm working with.

Keep up the good work :salute:

Didn't take offense and look forward to constructive/positive feedback. Thickness will vary but I'd assume 1/4" approx based on what I recall when I cut the visor out. I try to get the base of the bucket thicker, but have seen wide variation there. Jason actually reinforced his. I added a little bondo in some strategic places.
  • Like 1

Also for people like me who believe rustolium paint is the devil, its really nice to have a helmet that will match the paint I am gonna use.

I wish I had known that! I used Rustoleum enamel to paint mine and concur! It is the devil! What do you use?

Now I need to start figuring out what to add to my own helmet for padding, fans, voice, etc. note: this will never be part of the kit from me!

Edited by mitcheg1

I use krylon fusion white gloss it goes on smoother than the rustoleum. easier to sand. takes seven days to fully cure though. Its dry in an hour, but it takes time to set.

May I inquire, how's the gloss factor?

Also have you polished any parts out with Krylon?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I also like the way this helmet wont need to be sent back several times for replacement issue.  ;)

This. So much this ...

Seconded. Would love the option of purchasing custom-fitted decals for those spots on the helmet where it seems clear that decals are screen-accurate.

This. So much this ...

Seconded. Would love the option of purchasing custom-fitted decals for those spots on the helmet where it seems clear that decals are screen-accurate.

Third

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Need some advice from this illustrious community. Dave (Zuko) received one of my buckets today and found a small crack on what appears to be the chin area.

25BF0C2F-CD99-41D6-9C81-EC4C84FE34C0_zps

Looking for an option to repair/reinforce that area. I suggested he use a small diameter drill bit at the tip of the crack and cut a v-groove along the crack then fill with bondo. Once that had cured, he could reinforce inside with resin, possibly fiberglass as well.

What are your thoughts? Thanks

• Like 1

The helmet is beautiful, the details are amazing.

I cannot say better things about this one.

Small edit will be needed but I'm curious for any insight for a remedy to this. I had originally planned on reinforcing this anyways as I notice most carry their bucket by the lip when not on and didn't want any cracks.

This is an easy fix I'm sure, just need to make sure it doesn't travel is all.

Truly Greg has done a great job at shipping, packing and keeping in contact and even helping make sure that FedEx came through. Even w this, posting and asking for insight from the forums.

I still highly recommend!! His work is awesome!

Edited by zuko
  • Like 1

I know that I had a few cracks in my ANH helm and repaired that on the interior by tacking a little ca glue to hold the joint.  I then took canvas cloth and soaked in e-6000 and then pressed on the inside against the crack.  This worked so surprisingly well on my ANH bucket and fixed up the small cracks I had and helped to reinforce the inside as the bucket was quite weak from a thinner plastic.  I imagine something similar to what I did would help reinforce, I think some people use cheesecloth and fiberglass resin though double check.

I agree with Greg on drilling at the end of the crack to the edge.  That should give a nice curve to avoid the crack from spreading more and some sort of filler to clean it up.

My opinions on these though, so take that for what it is worth haha.

I need an a neck seal and balaclava for my FOTK! I got the arm and leg gaskets from Imperial Gaskets and have boots on order as well! Any recommendations?

Also, I'm re-strategizing on my approach to my armor after seeing a real kit up close. I think I'm going to rely on my sculpting abilities rather than a horrendously inaccurate pep file! Hopefully it will produce a better and faster result.

• Like 1

I noticed that about the stripes. Happened to pause right on that and was like that is interesting.<br><br>

For a neck seal I recommend Darman. He has a listing under ongoing sales that I believe is pinned. Good quality stuff with a few options to pick from and good pricing. That is where I've bought all of mine.<br><br>

For a balaclava I have the UA HeatGear tactical hood. The mask covering is a seperate piece sewn on so it gives good range of adjustment and is super comfy.

I got mine today,

looks great, ill be gladly replacing my ANOVOS one with this.

I have some clean up work to do, but nothing new to folks who have done resin lids before.

Still working on the armor at the moment so this might be a post premier upgrade, but I can already see it more closely matches the movie and the suits at celeberation.  

• Like 1

Hey Greg amazing work! I vac form myself and personally I prefer styrene/hips over abs just because I find it does form better that said abs is more robust...I get nice detailed pulls with 2-3mm styrene without having to negative form for fine detailed masks...abs above 2mm can get a bit tricky without pre warming but that is only my experience.

Looking for advice for the community at large. I plan to vacform my armor. What material should I use (HIPS vs abs, 2mm, ???). Also, does anyone have a suggested source of supply that they've had success with?

1.5mm ABS. The 2mm ABS is a paint to cut and you'll get better details on 1.5mm, otherwise 2mm is decent if 1.5 isn't available. Don't go with styrene unless... no don't use styrene.