Calling all TM owners...

Ok so I know I'm getting TM armor but theres still the problem of which one, acrylic capped or not?<br><br>

So id like to know from guys (or gals) that own it which they have please in the hope it will sway me one way or another...<br><br>

And if you could indulge me with reasons why you chose the way you did that would be helpful too...

I have owned 2 TM 2mm acrylic capped, very nice. And 2 1.5mm abs 1 that needed paint and 1 the new gloss. All very nice. Depends on what you want. Accurate, ultra accurate, practicle or other. They are all very well made.

Just got my 1.5 a couple months ago...almost done building it.  It looks great and after researching the same thing I found that people generally leaned towards the 1.5 because it gives sharper detail and also more flexibility=less likely to crack while trooping.

The other main difference is the color. The 1.5 is sharper in detail but it has an off white color to it. Troopermaster himself feels this is closer to the color of the original costumes. The 2.0 is brilliant white and shiny. 

• Like 1

I just got my 2mm A/C armor and am in the early stages of my build. As Steve mentioned, it is impressively white and shiny. I'm shooting for a more idealized stormtrooper and I just couldn't pass up how beautiful the armor is. I'll troop in it but it will likely spend most of its time on a mannequin in my man cave; a trophy of sorts. I'm getting 1.5 mm armor to make a sand trooper after this build.

1 that needed paint

Never seen anyone else say they needed to paint a TM, that would suck coz my painting skills are slightly lacking :'(

I'm shooting for a more idealized stormtrooper and I just couldn't pass up how beautiful the armor is.

I originally thought all armor would be idealised but I'm learning differently...

also more flexibility=less likely to crack while trooping.

This is a good point thanks...

The 1.5 is sharper in detail but it has an off white color to it.

Yeah I've seen a few people day the not so white is ,more 'screen accurate'...

Thanks for the reply fellas it has been helpful and it is swaying me more towards the standard ABS, at least for a 1st set :)

Never seen anyone else say they needed to paint a TM, that would suck coz my painting skills are slightly lacking :'(

That was a good few years ago when the only 1.5mm ABS I could get was dull and bluish. All that has changed now and I can offer a beautiful white gloss ABS in 1.5mm that is virtually identical to the original ANH plastic :)

• Like 7

That was a good few years ago when the only 1.5mm ABS I could get was dull and bluish. All that has changed now and I can offer a beautiful white gloss ABS in 1.5mm that is virtually identical to the original ANH plastic :)

October, will be October, CSA (incoherent mumbling) it will be October Mr godarmor :D

In the process of building my 2mm Troopermaster personally I think that you would have to be seriously throwing yourself about to bend this enough to crack or split it also I think that the detail is plenty sharp enough and when it is being trooped in it definitely stands out. That is a 2 mm Troopermaster in my avatar.

I have the 1.5 mm, the off color might make you sad a bit, but when you are the best looking trooper of the bunch, the sadness goes away, :laugh1:

But the colour is not off. It's the other plastics that are too white in comparison to the original ANH armour. Check out this photo of an original ANH bell in 1.5mm gloss ABS (right) compared to an ANH SDS bell in 2mm acrylic capped ABS (left) and you will see what I mean. The difference in daylight is not so dramatic.

mfKyJHe.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 3

Just received my 2mm acrylic TM kit this week. I was slightly worried at first about durability with trooping too, but now that I work on it and feel the thickness and sturdiness of the plastic I am sure that this will definitely hold up well during trooping. I'm not scared of cracks at all.

And the super shiny whiteness makes it awesome to look at too  ;)

Edited by VulpX

I have a set of 1.5mm TM armour and I've put it through a lot of abuse and it's served me quite well. I've managed to sit down, bend down to pick stuff off the ground and even managed a 1 and a half hour car ride with 4 other people in the car while in the armour and it still hasn't cracked (although I'd probably suggest taking better care of your armour than I have mine :P).

Personally I prefer the 1.5mm for that original feel and colour but I've seen the 2mm and it also looks awesome and is really sturdy. Either one you choose you can't really go wrong :)

Ok this thread was helping at 1st n now I'm just as confused as I was at the beginning oh well I've got 2mo the to decide anyway so I'll save flipping a coin till then...<br>

The one thing I am certain about is Stunt, that much I've been able to settle my addled brain on, as long as I don't change my mind 50 times in the next 2 months...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got two sets of 2mm in August, one for my husband and one for myself, it is white and shiny. Definitely no need to paint it, unless you are doing a sandy. I almost feel bad we are going to get ours dirty for sandies. I'm loving our TM armor, to me it is far more superior that the other types I have seen.

Edited by Scarlet Trooper
  • Like 3

Jess, check out this link:      The various types of armor and where to find them    

Look for the entry marked TM. Contact information is in the entry - just give them a shout :)

Edited by Sentry71