Using brackets on 2mm ABS

I was just in the process of putting together my new 2mm ABS armour using the screen accurate bracket system. I've put armour together before, but always gone down the snap route.<br><br>

So then I read, that brackets on 2mm armour is not a good idea as it will crack, where the holes are drilled. In fact, it's the thinner more flexible 1-1.5mm stuff that's best as it flexes more (thought exactly the opposite would be the case).<br><br>

Have other members successfully used brackets on 2mm ABS, and if so, how has it held up when trooping?

Ferg, I believe your assessment is accurate. I asked that same question to Troopermaster as I too am assembling 2 mm ABS armor with acrylic capping. He admits it will crack if flexed too far given it is more rigid.  I actually ordered the bracket system from Mr. No Stripes but am having second thoughts using it given this information. We've must have read similar sources as the general consensus is to use the snap route if you have the harder, more rigid 2 mm armor. The bracket system seems to be exclusive for the thinner, more flexible stuff. I also thought as you, thinking the thicker armor would be more durable but it seems flexibility trumps tensile strength.

1.5 cracks for me on PVC but only in a couple of areas on the kidney plate and that is after 2 years of trooping.

Depending on your physical build and the make of the armour some kidney plates are wide. I am smaller than the intended wearer of the kidney plate and so when I tighten the belt the kidney plate flexes more.

Your RS PVC plastic has about the same flexural strength as my 2mm acrylic capped ABS so it's very rigid in comparison to my 1.5mm gloss ABS. Some people have used the bracket system in their 2mm A/C ABS and not had any problems, but you do it at your own risk. Any cracks can easily be repaired by reinforcing the hole with strips of ABS glued inside the return edge. The cracks usually go from the screw hole to the outside of the armour so the damage really is minimal, but it's there nonetheless.

I think it would make it worse. The acrylic capping is like a glass coating so any drilling on the edges will crack when the plastic is flexed.

From my standpoint, I don't see the attraction of adding the brackets to this plastic. It's too nice and clean to try and make it look authentic. Personally I would stick to snaps and elastic straps inside and keep the squeaky clean look of an idealised Stormtrooper. Leave the brackets for a hard core ANH replica in 1.5mm gloss ABS.

I think it would make it worse. The acrylic capping is like a glass coating so any drilling on the edges will crack when the plastic is flexed.From my standpoint, I don't see the attraction of adding the brackets to this plastic. It's too nice and clean to try and make it look authentic. Personally I would stick to snaps and elastic straps inside and keep the squeaky clean look of an idealised Stormtrooper. Leave the brackets for a hard core ANH replica in 1.5mm gloss ABS.

This is really interesting stuff, just goes to show there's a lot of variables when it comes to choosing what to go for with armour.

You learn something new every day.

"Personally I would stick to snaps and elastic straps inside and keep the squeaky clean look of an idealised Stormtrooper. Leave the brackets for a hard core ANH replica in 1.5mm gloss ABS."

​Then snaps and elastics it is. This armor is too beautiful to risk cracking. I'll save my brackets for the 1.5 mm kit.

• 3 weeks later...

.080" is 2mm so I would not recommend it. Also, it's not just the thickness but the material needs to be considered too. 1.5mm PVC cracks just as badly as 2mm acrylic capped ABS because it is just as rigid. 1.5mm gloss ABS is the best plastic for the original strapping.

And that Troopmaster is why you shouldn't trust random charts you find on line I guess. I found one that said .80 gauge was 1mm. I'm happy I commented now. Thank you.

I'm a little sad, really wanted ANH strapping but that's life :)

Edited by Knockerbot

I don't think ATA is acrylic capped ABS but it will still be very rigid. The plastic needs to be flexible and lightweight for the original strapping. You can use it on thicker plastics but you will not feel the full benefit of it and the risk of cracking your armour is greatly increased.

• 3 months later...

Glad I found this thread.  2mm ATA and was planning on going with the brackets.  However, after reading this, it seems like brackets are not the way I need to go.  Much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...