Uhcoog's Doopy Build

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

Hey Yall,

It's time I start a build thread!

I'm 110% new to using tools (outside basic drilling and IKEA furniture building) and making stuff ... so this is a huge learning experience for me.

I'm terrified! I think the Doopy kit can smell my fear. 

I've been following other people's build threads and am intrigued. I've taken bits and pieces from each thread and kind of have an idea of what I want to do. 

I'm wait listed on T-Jay's finishing kit and Gazmosis' replacement clip is on the way.  

I look forward to this experience and hope to gain a lot of feedback from yall. 

Let the picture posting and documentation begin!

---

Day 1

Medium Brown Box Day!

11845100_10153920608559879_3437408793450

Edited by UHCoog12

I'm so new to this... 

I have the rest of my pictures on flickr... and it doesn't seem very intuitive on how to share images. I guess it wants the URL to end in .jpg and since flikr is using some web based image viewer sharing isn't so straight forward.

So excuse me for now...I'll have to just post URLs directly to the picture. 

Day 1 continued: 

Giving my kit a bath

Doing inventory: Notice some of my pieces are still "stuck" on the same sheet. 

Edited by UHCoog12

Day 2

I'm slowly getting more supplies in. 

So on this day, I attempted to use a borrowed dremmel for the first time ever. 

Like I said earlier, the kit can smell fear. 

My first steps were to sort of clean up the excess resin -- particularly on the pieces that were "stuck" on the same resin sheet. 

I broke off what I could by just snapping the thin sheets off. 

I then slowly dremmeled my way down to the edges. Let me know if I'm on the right track and how to correct for one of the sides still looking like it came off the sheet. 

I tried to contour around the pieces but I think I may have taken off more than I should have. I may need tips later on how to fill that back in with bondo (or something similar?)

, restored by gmrhodes13

Notice the flat-ish edge at the top

FkvJTxo.jpg

I flipped it around here.. you can better see the edge I'm talking about.

It's almost as if there's a whole layer I need to shave off? 

I also think I made the tip of the trigger kind of lopsided?

For the trigger guard, I shaved the excess down ...but I think I took too much out of it. 

Notice one side is thicker, and the other is thin

I'm in the same predicament for the flash guard and ejection port guard. I got more comfortable shaving down those pieces but I still don't know what to do about the flat-ness of it. 

I think I need to use a set of files on them...more control?

I've stopped for now to wait for feedback (and a mask as to not breathe in resin dust).

Feedback appreciated!

Thanks yall!

PS... that was annoying to post and I'm sure it was annoying to read. I want to be able to post my build thread like everyone else's.

Does anyone know if this can be done from flickr or should I switch to something else like photobucket?

Hi Wayne and welcome to the world of blaster building.

First of all don't panic if you have a few problems you can use a product called green stuff which is a two part modelling putty to carry out repairs. It is easy to work with.

The best method I have come across for removing the parts from the resin is to place a sheet of fine sandpaper on a flat surface and then rub the parts on this gently. This gives you lots of control as long as you don't press on too hard and will give you s really smooth finish.

Lastly feel free to ask any questions that you have as there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and we have all been at this somewhat frightening initial stage. You will soon find that what you fear now is nothing to be afraid of and will probably get to the stage where you are really enjoying the process of building your own blaster.

PS... that was annoying to post and I'm sure it was annoying to read. I want to be able to post my build thread like everyone else's.

Does anyone know if this can be done from flickr or should I switch to something else like photobucket?

You're probably not going to continue to update the thread if you're annoyed posting it, which is no good for anyone.... I have no idea about flickr, but photo bucket does work a treat  :duim:

• Like 1

I use Photobucket.com (not the app).

You'll get better at identifying extra plastic (flashing) as your projects branch out. I made the mistake of assuming some details were erroneously present when they were actually integral to the functional design of the original cast part. If you have any doubt, check a reference photo before making changes (but small mistakes are easily fixed, as others say).

Good luck and keep it up

Edited by charlesnarles

You're probably not going to continue to update the thread if you're annoyed posting it, which is no good for anyone.... I have no idea about flickr, but photo bucket does work a treat :duim:

Thanks for your photo bucket suggestion. I'll move my images over there. What I meant by annoyed was referring to the way I was currently posting pictures / linking pictures. I'm sure it didn't make for an easy read either having to open pictures in a new tab every time. Once I get settled with a better photo posting method it'll make posting my updates a breeze!

Edited by UHCoog12

You should be able to embed Flickr photos as well - on your Flickr photo, there's a share button (looks like an arrow pointing to the right) that has multiple options - one of those is BBCode which you should be able to paste into the reply box. Or you could use the HTML embed option and get the .jpg link in that code, and paste it into the Image link on the forum.

You should be able to embed Flickr photos as well - on your Flickr photo, there's a share button (looks like an arrow pointing to the right) that has multiple options - one of those is BBCode which you should be able to paste into the reply box. Or you could use the HTML embed option and get the .jpg link in that code, and paste it into the Image link on the forum.

Awesome! Thanks, I'll go back and edit my posts and do it that way for future updates.

Today I tried my hand at creating the rest of the holes on the underside of the barrel. I know it's going to be covered -- but all the good builds I see have done it. It's also helping me build more confidence in using a dremmel. I'm enjoying the learning experience so far. Hopefully the longer I do this the less nerve wracking this becomes. 

cAOkJ7Y.jpg

I started by using an engraving tip to start some pilot holes... then I used progressively larger sanding bits to widen the hole. 

What I should have done was just taken a drill - which I ended up finally doing a while later and it made things so much easier. 

o4OzeFl.jpg

Now I ended up with this. 

I stopped here for the day. 

How do you recommend that I clean these holes up? It seems like when I try to use a dremmel, the inner plastic part wants to kick the dremmel out. Is this the product of having bad tips? Should I try clean up by hand/ sanding? 

• Like 1

I used a 3/8" drill bit to drill out those holes. They were slightly smaller than the predrilled holes, so I then used a grinding stone with a round tip in my rotary tool to widen the holes just a tiny bit. You might want to try decreasing the speed on your dremmel as that helped me learn to control it better. I still tend to make a mess of things when I go too fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another day, another boost of confidence. 

I don't get as much done as other people's daily posts but ... slow and steady seems to be working for me for the amount of time I set aside. 

Got a message from Tino letting me know my finishing kit is ready to be sent. Can't wait! 

Thanks, Hupspring. I used the 3/8" bit and did some touch up afterwards. I think I'm happy with the results. 

PS. I'm going to start following your thread :)

kTnTxEb.jpg

Next up... I started on the folding stock, careful not to make the common mistake of hollowing out the entire thing. 

I traced where the stock would be by drawing a line and shading the part not to dremmel. Unfortunately, while starting the pilot holes the dremmel jumped and hit the edge. I hope to be able to fix that with some green stuff (Also a learning experience). 

O0jeU90.jpg

I didn't realize how thick this area was. I took a step back and took Dark CMF's approach by drilling many small pilot holes. 

Lesson learned: Don't get over confident after you drill the first hole and have it come out the right spot on the other side. I got too comfortable after the first couple came out on the right side. I should have gone half way from both sides. I'll have a lot of Green Stuffing to do to fix this area. 

pzHwBwX.jpg

In the end, I'm pretty happy for my skill level. I know I'll have to go in and patch some areas up and use some hand files to smooth things out. 

My only question about this area is ... does the "inner stock" look correct? I also think I nicked this area a little from dremmel kickback. I'd also want to go "round" out the area to blend it in better. 

Tip for fellow noobs like me, keep dust pans around if you don't have a shop vac or anything around. I also use the brush to clear away the resin when I dremmel so I can actually see what I'm doing. Also, don't forget your safety gear! Goggles and a particulate face mask have been my best friend these last couple days. 

FRnZzNT.jpg

Thanks for the feedback yall!

• Like 1

Yeah lol today I would have killed for a little handheld vacuum! And the goggles in my avatar go on my face when I dremel or solder 8)<br><br><br>

I opened my stock too much but just got a flat piece of scrap abs and made my own faux flat spring which is what you're actually seeing in the top corner there. I'd post a pic or link but I'm having trouble with coding apparently! Yours will be fine with some green stuff, I bet. Don't worry about that scale of error until you get to some of the smaller finer bits :)

Edited by charlesnarles

• 3 weeks later...

Posting some progress after putting the build off for a week. 

Note: 'm expecting Tino's finishing kit tomorrow or Thursday so I hope to post more frequently. 

...also sorry for the harsh lighting. I have a new bench light that is really blinding... 

---

I've drilled out the holes in the stock. Once I get the finishing kit, I'll hollow out the gaps to fit the rod there. 

tZfW8kL.jpg

Ground / sanded off the nubs at the hinge of the stock in prep for replacing with actual screws from kit. 

vkQLgmy.jpg

Trimmed down the front sight. Did I grind out too much? Which side looks correct? The one on the right was ground down more. 

I intend on grinding the indentation detail and drill the hole through the sight post for more detail. 

Finally I hollowed out the end cap clip. I need to do a bit more sanding when I can get a hold of smaller files.

Thanks! Hope for more pics to come. 

• Like 1

looking good so far. Getting used to your dremmel is something that comes with time. I saw that you went a bit enthusiastic on the lock opening on the folding stock. You might want to invest in some "green stuff" as it is being called. Modelers putty is what it is really called. This has corrected thousands of mistakes, mold bubbles, and even created details not present on the doopy kit

• Like 2

Thanks, Steve! 

Yeah I got a bit over confident when drilling holes from one end to the other. Lesson learned: Go half way in from both sides. 

Fortunately, I got some green stuff from T-Jay's kit that arrived today. Surely I'll need more, but for now I have some to use on areas like you mentioned.

I didn't get time to work on the kit today, hopefully will be able to tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Hey there Wayne! Looking like good progress. We can all see your comfort level changing in your posts. That's exactly how it happens. I was no different.<br><br>

Just a thought about the front sight detailing, and I wish I could remember for sure who did it, but if you grind it down a little more than you'd think was "good" and add a layer of green stuff, you can then roll something with a cross-hatched pattern on it into the green stuff and it will dry with the pattern in it. I "etched/carved" the pattern into mine, and it did alright, but the green stuff method looks substantially better.<br><br>

Keep up the great work, as Steve said, getting the feel for the Dremel is a big part of this process. ;)

• Like 1

Wayne - Good work on your blaster so far.

Fortunately, I got some green stuff from T-Jay's kit that arrived today. Surely I'll need more, but for now I have some to use on areas like you mentioned.

Wayne you'll be surprised how little green stuff you actually need so I would suggest you cut off only a small strip, (you can always cut off more if needed), and see how you get on.

I have carried out lots of modifications and repairs on my build and still haven't used that much (I also always seem to have some left no matter how little I cut).

Edited by Thrawn's guard
  • Like 1

Just a thought about the front sight detailing, and I wish I could remember for sure who did it, but if you grind it down a little more than you'd think was "good" and add a layer of green stuff, you can then roll something with a cross-hatched pattern on it into the green stuff and it will dry with the pattern in it. I "etched/carved" the pattern into mine, and it did alright, but the green stuff method looks substantially better.<br><br>

I have tried my hand at this modification and it works out really well though it certainly wasn't me who came up with this method first.

I seem to think I used Bulldog44's great build thread as a basis for what I did (See link below)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28778-bulldog44-dd-e-11build/page-9

Edited by Thrawn's guard
  • Like 1

I really appreciate all the kind words. It's really encouraging! I'll take all your suggestions to heart.

So I'm continuing modification with Tino's kit.

First, I hollowed out the stalk - how's it look? 

I think there's a bit of a gap where the Y portion starts. I also went drill happy and went through a bit too much...I'll fix that up with green stuff.

3rhRZ1X.jpg

XR99GHw.jpg