POLL ... 5v or 12v blower cooling fan for Helmet? HELP!

Hey guys im stuck on deciding (or knowing ) what volt cooling fan to get for my helmet,

Im attaching a mini rocker switch and a 9v battery but im concerned of getting a 12v fan andhaving too week of an air flow or having a 5v and overworking the fan .

Im planing to place 2 fans in the front of the helmet. I hope i gave enough information for youto get an idea of my concern and i hope its not a dumb question but i couldn't find this topic regarding volts. Thank you and anything is appreciated

PLEASE SHARE PICTURES!!!!!

Edited by Sd-Stormtrooper

I am running 2 12 volt fans both with their own 9 volt battery. If you over power fan with too much voltage you will burn out the bearings and the fan will be garbage quickly.

I have one fan blowing in and out blowing out of the bucket

In my experience the fans will eliminate visor fogging and that's pretty much all they are good for.

Edited by devilmaan

the 9v battery on a 5v fan will give you about 20 minutes of usage and a hot battery when you're done.  I run (and build) a 2x 5v fan kit that I run off 4 AA batteries in a switch box.  I have found that the ones I ended up using (after LOTS of trial and error) move a lot more air than the 12v varieties on a 9v for a decent period of time.  I get 3.5-4+ hours with really good airflow on mine.  The 9v batteries don't have enough mAh to run the longer troops I've been on....

I think you need 4 AA's to get the 5 volts you need. Each AA put out 1 to 1,5 volts and they add up. I've tried wiring my 5v fan yesterday using a 4 AA holder and a rocker switch and it worked like a charm!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Edited by =Sv3=

On 7/29/2015 at 3:48 AM, TK69581 said:

Nothing against Echo but my fans turned just as good and a lot cheaper. Of course it helps I know my way around electronics lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I tried plugging my fans and it was so easy! I'm just glad I did that instead of buying a pre-built kit, it's very rewarding to hook everything up, press the switch and see it working!

It took me about 15 minutes of research, cost me 10$ and only a few minutes to get it working. I bought everything from Chinese retailers on eBay so the shipping took a while but it was worth it! For such tiny fans, they put out a lot of air!!!

Here's what I used :

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I am new to the forum and was wondering if any one (member) or outside source made complete helmet fan systems that can be installed in the helmet?  Thank you for your time and any responses.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/29160-FS:-The-Original-Evilboy-Dual-Fan-Helmet-kits

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/24372-FS:-Helmet-Fan-System---Echo's

You've got two options there, I don't know which one's better though but I think they are both well liked around here.

Edited by =Sv3=

you can rig up a couple 12v blower fans, easily found on ebay and set up a 12v battery (rechargable units, also found on ebay (aka blue packs)) or use a 9v to run them.  a rechargable 12v lith ion batter lasts about 4 hours with the fan running all the time.  a 9v will last about 1 hour...maybe.  6-8 aa or aaa batteries will last about 2 hours.  it depends on how long you want them to run, how much space you want to use up in the helmet, ease of changing batteries if needed, or if you just want a one time charge and run all day set up.  i have 2 fans and 2 separate 12v lith ion packs in my tx helmet.  i use one for many hours and when it starts going out, i switch on the other one.  doing that, i have about 8 hours of fan....and less noise going, :-)

I'll echo the 2 x 5V fan setup. I've got 4 AA batteries powering each fan. So far, I've gotten about 9 hours of battery life. Only drawback is additional weight of 8 AAs, but it don't bother me. I used velcro to attach batteries holders to harness similar to Echo's. Plenty of room for it in my AP bucket. 

• 1 month later...

This is how I have my fan kits now..  I initially had a 5v fan with an on off rocker switch attached to a 4xaa battery holder but now im using (2) 5v fans with a on off rocker switch with a 9v  battery, I always have problems uploading pictures here so if you want to see pictures here are the links.    -------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 months later...

So I'm about to start fitting out a new helmet so I thought I'd bring this topic back up.<br><br>

The blower style fans everyone seems to be using weren't around when I fitted out my first helmet, so I'm planning on doing things differently this time and giving them a go.<br><br>

I've been thinking about the best battery / fan combination for my setup as I'll already have 8 AA's in the lid for my romfx it doesn't leave much room.<br><br>

What I've concluded for me is to still use 2 X 9v batts like I used in my first lid as they fit well with the 8 AA's as well in terms of space. I don't consider lithium batts as an option because if they go off in your face it's not funny, something all troopers should consider when choosing batteries. I'd much rather the inconvenience of space issues than losing my face.<br><br>

So I'm thinking my setup will be 2 X 5v blower fans wired in series to present a 10v load and then wire up the 9v batteries in parallel so they both push out 9v but have twice the capacity of one. This means 9v going to a 10v fan setup with double the capacity of a single PP3 (9v battery).<br><br>

It's all theoretical till I use it to get an idea of throughput and longevity but hopefully this info is of use to other troopers looking for a fan setup, if not already known as I appreciate it's pretty basic electronics theory.

• 3 months later...

Hey i just stubble across this topic looking for something else but a little feed back on this. If you have a solder iron or gun and want to do it yourself use 5v fans and take a old or cheap usb cable and slice it up and solder it to the fans. Red to red, black to black, green and white you can trim off. Then get yourself a USB power bank. A 2600mAh power bank that you can get almost anywhere for about 5 bucks will run 2 fans for about 6 hours. And the best part is no more wasting money on 9v or AA batteries because they are rechargeable and you can use it to charge your phone when you are not trooping. 

If you dont want to make it yourself I sell some here 

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13