Rogue One TK's

It never was.

The OT had also bad and shabby made props, mixed props that it would be a shame for any c-movie.

That was ok for a minimum budget an 1976.

But Not with the Mouses' money behind this movie in 2015....

Eventually we might get surprised. I won't get too pessimistic about the new old TK's. Perhaps they're really just the shabby stunt ones!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Edited by BenFriday77

With all the flaws of the orignal suits (duct tape, shis opening, paint flaking off on the shoes and hand guards), there's no way they'd use these in 2015.

Of course not, but they could at least keep the look of the armor the same. If RS or TM can do it....

• Like 1

I'm glad that they didn't replicated the crap that they used a long time ago.

Better new mistakes than the old ones ever and ever again.

You are aware that "replicating the crap that they used a long time ago" is the reason why most of us are here? That is one of the most precise descriptions of building TK armour I've ever read. :smiley-sw013:

• Like 3

You are aware that "replicating the crap that they used a long time ago" is the reason why most of us are here? That is one of the most precise descriptions of building TK armour I've ever read. :smiley-sw013:

I am aware, indeed.

I´m a prop builder and collector - so i need to copy those crappy builds, with only minor sanitizing of the most disgusting flaws.

But i would love it if they would have taken a more "real" approach while building things, instead of just slapping bad parts together. And i always hope they don´t make the same mistakes again, now with much more money than in the old days.

I´m no costumer, but if i were ....... to be honest,  i would prefer to be seen in a good and believeable looking costume, not in something movie accurate that looks like i have no skills for a proper and symetrical build. "Whow, such a sloppy and wonky build, he probably has 2 left hands, or was in a real hurry" is nothing i would like to hear. That´s the first i always have in mind when seeing those imperfections.

Edited by Lichtbringer
  • Like 1

I am aware, indeed.

I´m a prop builder and collector - so i need to copy those crappy builds, with only minor sanitizing of the most disgusting flaws.

But i would love it if they would have taken a more "real" approach while building things, instead of just slapping bad parts together. And i always hope they don´t make the same mistakes again, now with much more money than in the old days.

I´m no costumer, but if i were ....... to be honest,  i would prefer to be seen in a good and believeable looking costume, not in something movie accurate that looks like i have no skills for a proper and symetrical build. "Whow, such a sloppy and wonky build, he probably has 2 left hands, or was in a real hurry" is nothing i would like to hear. That´s the first i always have in mind when seeing those imperfections.

But you see, the people who try and make symmetrical builds such  as the FX armor always get the comments at them "You don't look like the other troops" and "why is your costume not the same as the others?" The public can tell the difference. what they saw onscreen is what people want to see, a stormtrooper is loved by everyone because it is wonky. Ive never gotten a comment that I look wonky or uneven or not symmetrical. The comments i have gotten are "he looks like he just walked off the screen!" amd "You look just like the movie armor!" If you were a costumer you would realize the difference from "idealizing" and replicating it. MAny have tried to idealize and it never would look right. Take a look at the symmetrical efx helmet it looks horrible compared to origianls casted helmet. Everyone can tell whats the better helmet. Symmetrical is not better in the starwars universe. NO helmet was symmetrical in the OT trilogy.

Well, i always think that, but i would never tell it to the costumer the same way. To them i give positive comments, and keep the other thoughts to myself and my friends - no need to make them feel bad.

It´s different than talking in private with fellow builders.

"The people" know nothing, they only see one suit is different to the others. And off course one symmetrical between dozens of wonky looks strange - it´s the same as a showroom hotrod on a rat-car event.

Of course the fault already started with the bad builds of the SW prop teams, now we are used to their crappy builds. Would they have done their job right, we would be used to correct things and would look to such wonky pieces very different.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this. I dont think the original prop makers did their job wrong or did a "crappy job". When you have actors sitting around in these things on set all day, stuff is going to break--and the need for quick fixes like using gaffer tape and such is just an inevitable thing. The costumes had a job to do, they needed to look good on camera---they were not built to last. If they were, we would have a lot more RS's running around with original armor.  I think the real magic in costuming TK's is replicating how they looked on screen--not trying to build some epic perfect version of it. If this were the case, we wouldnt have all these rules and guidelines in place to ensure everyone doesnt customize the hell out of their armor.

I think all of our collective disappointment in the first glimpse of these costumes (if they are in fact, not stunt costumes) stems from the fact that the shape and general dimensions of them seem to be far off.  I love the hand sculpted look of the stormtrooper, and these suits look like straight edged machine made replicas.

I think we could all agree it would be nice to see them without open shins, gaffer tape hanging off or any other blemishes that were there in ANH. This would have been a change I could get behind. But the fact is that the armor pieces themselves are just not the same.  And whats worse for me, is that there is no conscious design changes in the costume, which makes the failure to replicate the originals even more grand--at least any alterations in the design would have made any inaccuracies a little more justified....either the costume needs to be altered even more from the original, or made more accurately--right now were kind of in the middle.  But alas, the movie takes place directly before ANH so I'm just praying they are stunt builds.

Yeah true. Plus set photos (especially from drones 100 feet high) never look too flattering. I really dislike ROTJ armor too, but at the end of the day I still love the movie.  Good lighting and effects comp hopefully makes up for any shortcomings in the new movie.

Now realizing that rogue one ends moments before ANH, I am very dissapointed with the costume department. That is a huge continuity error by them, It would possibly ruin the in universe feel this movie has, seeing troops that don't look the same side by side to an ANH trooper. I'm really hoping they got the helmets right. That has to be the same for me.

Let's be honest for a minute here...Joe Public will not see any differece between these troopers and those from ANH. After trooping over two years as a ROTJ TK I can tell you nobody has ever asked me why I look different to my garrison mates. A Stormtrooper is a Stormtrooper in the eyes of anyone but us super anal nerds.

• Like 10

Let's be honest for a minute here...Joe Public will not see any differece between these troopers and those from ANH. After trooping over two years as a ROTJ TK I can tell you nobody has ever asked me why I look different to my garrison mates. A Stormtrooper is a Stormtrooper in the eyes of anyone but us super anal nerds.

This is true, plus, from a Canon standpoint, who says that every stormtrooper in the galaxy wears exactly the same armor? Small differences should be expected when you are equipping millions of troops. I suspect that RO TK's will eventually be treated exactly the same as ANH, ESB, and ROTJ : all different takes on the same basic trooper design. Whatever the RO troopers end up looking like, that will be what the CRL for that type should be based on. They do not have to be identical to ANH.

• Like 1

Late, but I read/heard that the ANH suits used on screen were quick mock-up place-holder suits they pumped out just to practice vacuforming while the much more McQuarrie suits' designs were being finalized, but Lucas loved what he saw so much that he cancelled the replacements. So that explains a lot of the design's counterintuitivity; nobody was even supposed to really see them and they were made extremely quickly and haphazardly from drawing board to on-film.

Nice to know it's ANH style. A stormtrooper is a stormtrooper. There is technically no difference from a non-propmaker, non-costumer and canon point of view. I'm sure they took the different Helmet styles into consideration. I'm already thankful for that (although I can't say so for the upcoming Battlefront as it's ROTJ TK revealed so far) I also suspect that the changes to the RO TK is more practical both stunt/acting-wise and in-universe-wise as it's easier to run and behave like an actual soldier in those.

That being said I'm just thankful that there is/are:

1. A Star Wars movie being made

2. An OT timeline used

3. Stormtroopers! Stormtroopers! Stormtroopers!

4. Real physical TK armour

• Like 2