Removing and reapiring ABS that was glued with CA glue?

Does anyone have any tips for removing a cover strip on ABS that was glued won with CA glue. I have found that removal is tricky and can even tear the armor and premenantly damaging it. And even if you do get the piece off, the CA glue destroys the look of the ABS underneath. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

• 6 years later...
9 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

Are you sure that won't melt the armor?

I wasn't even aware that this type of product existed, Daniel, but I have ordered some and will post up here on Thursday with some results.

14 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

Are you sure that won't melt the armor?

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/bob-smith-industries-un-cure-ca-debonder-1oz-bsi161

Since cured CA is essentially acrylic plastic, anything that will dissolve CA will also soften most plastics.

A couple of old tricks I have heard off, soak in warm salty water or if you have a freezer big enough place in freezer for some time, apparently it makes the glue brittle and you can flex pieces apart. 

3 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Ugh.. I think I just wasted 10 bucks.

On my first build I set my snaps in nylon strips and attached those to my armor with CA glue after sanding and cleaning the areas beforehand.  It may have been the Florida heat, but within a few weeks the glue became so brittle many of the the nylon strips started to pop off.  On my very first troop my shoulder bell connection came apart because of this.  I ended up removing ALL of the connections, completely re-made the straps and used E-6000 to attach them.  No problems since then.

CA glue is a fast method, but not always the best.

Interesting Joseph. My nylon snap plates are all attached via CA glue and I have only had to re-glue one of them, the rest some 8 years later are still good as new.