Icomm voice recognition triggering under control

Not sure if this topic has been shared before but I just want to share it with you.

I have been trooping with the Icomm for about 1 year and I love it. People always say: "wow the voice effect sounds so cool!" However, it is very touchy and it goes at the minimum sound when in voice recognition. The PTT wears off with use and there is no other choice that voice recognition. I experienced that when I breathe or When I walk the icomm triggers itself causing and endless static burst and clicks. 

I was dwelling in my frustration when I realized that the mic was picking up sound FROM THE BACK. I insulated the back of the microphone by putting electrical tape over it (I used heavy duty Gorilla tape) I used about 3 layers so the mic does not pick up sound and turn a little bit downwards the front of the mic. in order to be as close to your mouth. Then, put back the mi foam. Now there is no triggering when breathing or walking. 

This is how it looks from the back of the mic (without the foam on)

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 4

I'll have to do the same because I was having the same issue. I thought maybe the battery of the Aker voicebooster speaker had something to do with it. I'm just afraid that if I put too much tape around it, that it won't be able to pick up MY voice

I'll have to do the same because I was having the same issue. I thought maybe the battery of the Aker voicebooster speaker had something to do with it. I'm just afraid that if I put too much tape around it, that it won't be able to pick up MY voice

You only have to tape THE BACK SIDE. Leave the front open

Sent from my HTC0P4E1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like that did the trick! I put roughly 2 pieces of duct tape on the back side of the microphone. I attended a parade in which was only a mile, but in armor for 2 or 3 hours. And no problem! No more cutting me off or on/off erratically.

Awesome. Feel free to share.

Sent from my HTC0P4E1 using Tapatalk

Well, not this time. I tried using the iComm yesterday for a Buddy Walk. During the time while waiting and mingling, the iComm was fine. After walking for 5 minutes, the static burst became constant every 2 seconds. Turned it off. Today, I armored up for a mini convention today, as soon as I turned it on, same thing! I even turned off my fans in my helmet. The speaker was fully charged. So I don't know what is wrong with it. Can I send it in to have it looked at?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It could be the iComm battery. Mine is about 22 months old minimum and before replacing the battery in the iComm, it would constantly click even with the slightest input from the mic.

How old is yours?

Well, not this time. I tried using the iComm yesterday for a Buddy Walk. During the time while waiting and mingling, the iComm was fine. After walking for 5 minutes, the static burst became constant every 2 seconds. Turned it off. Today, I armored up for a mini convention today, as soon as I turned it on, same thing! I even turned off my fans in my helmet. The speaker was fully charged. So I don't know what is wrong with it. Can I send it in to have it looked at?

It could be the iComm battery. Mine is about 22 months old minimum and before replacing the battery in the iComm, it would constantly click even with the slightest input from the mic.

How old is yours?

Which battery did you use??

Mine doesn't turn on...

How old is yours?

As of right now, I'd say it's about 11 months old. And it does the constant feedback clicks. But I'm going to try wrapping the microphone itself with tape, and then putting the cover on it; saw that done on a another trooper
  • Like 1

For those who has had or having issues with their iComm. On the FISD I followed the suggestion of this trooper who was having the exact same issue I had. Constant static burst. Or 'turrets'as another trooper eloquently put it, LOL! I removed the microphone cover and cut small strips of duct tape to cover the microphone. Not the front mind you, just the back and the sides. Placed the cover back on, installed the iComm back in the helmet, powered on the Aker speaker. I started the volume low at first and worked fine. Turned on the helmet fans and raised the volume. Speaking into the microphone with static burst worked as it should. We'll see on the next troop. But as of right now, it works as it should!

• Like 1

I have to agree with the earlier mentioned post about the battery. I had the same issue a month or so ago, I emailed in asking about the situation and that was the 1st suggestion, to replace the battery. Ordered it and bingo, works awesome again! Best of luck.

this[  is  just an update. I tried covering the rear side of the mic with regular scotch tape and works better than electrical tape bec it seals the mic cavity. Do u guys know where can I find  the foam cover for the mic?

I used my IComm on my first two troops using VOX.  From the suggestions on hear I tried taping the back side.  When I tested it at home I found it still triggered from time to time, but not often.  I cut foam (extra from my helmet) and put it on the back side, then covered it with the foam mic cover.

The first troop was outside in a pavilion with a DJ playing music.  Very hard to hear, but mic never triggered other then when I talked.  Second troop was at the zoo.  Lots of people talking all around me, but again never triggered other then when I talked.

Edited by Lucky
  • Like 1

Which battery did you use??

Mine doesn't turn on...

The constant clicking is a sign that the battery needs replacing. http://store.voicebooster.com/replacement-icomm-battery/

http://www.voicebooster.com/uploads/iComm-Battery-Replacement2.pdf

Open the Blast Door!

Okay it looks like the iComm just simply does not want to cooperate with me anymore. I'm sorely disappointed that it's giving me this same issue. The tape around the microphone except for the front still doesn't work. It's got to be the input from the microphone. It's not the output to the speaker. I'm going to have to mail this thing back and have it looked at or replaced.

Okay it looks like the iComm just simply does not want to cooperate with me anymore. I'm sorely disappointed that it's giving me this same issue. The tape around the microphone except for the front still doesn't work. It's got to be the input from the microphone. It's not the output to the speaker. I'm going to have to mail this thing back and have it looked at or replaced.

Shoot Jim an email and I'm sure he will do everything he can to sort your issues out. He's done so for me on several occasions and even once late at night right the day before a troop.

tkproductsllc@gmail.com

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm definitely going to contact Jim. I'm going to purchase a replacement battery first before I'll send in my iComm unit. I'm more disappointed that I've only had it for exactly 12 months and having this issue. I'm hoping it's just a simple battery issue, because that's only $5