TK Commander Build - It's become a OCD thing

Elumusic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes. I did the same thing. Just not in the front. You may or may now get centurion status with it. But if you are using AM armor there is no other way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I may be purchasing a completed commander build. We are roughly the same body type, it may work for me! But won't find out till Thursday for a test fit.  I am not 100% on their paint work. realistically, if I wanted to re-do the paint work, would you or anyone else know how to re-do paint jobs? Would I have to remove the current paint 1st before applying a fresh coat?

Thanks.

GREAT work on your build by the way. :) Commanders are few and far between. Everyone thinks that they look weird, but I love the look!

Edited by Vexus

Is have to see the paint job. Removing paint is not a good idea. I would recommend painting over the existing paint. Chemicals are no good for the plastic... And sanding would work but also possibly mess up the plastic as well. I have re masked and repainted a couple and they turned out great. The only part you should consider sanding would be the masked edges to smooth out any ridges.

• Like 2

Here is a Facebook Album of the actual armor.

It is a brighter shade of blue, which kind reminds me of painters tape.

Would it be possible to redo this?

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1497715010478071.1073741827.1497711397145099&type=3

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

You said you are roughly the same body type as the guy on Facebook?? If you meant my size you have some refitting to do. Lots of work. So here's my take. The armor is ok. Not the best. You could paint over the old color easily. It would look great. You could make it all look really good. The edging on the armor is wrong. Talk to the guy at CFO. Mark Edwards. He's on Facebook. He sells the correct edging for the armor. The button strip on the ab needs to be a 5 button strip. You will need to modify it. The belt is not supposed to have a center rivet cover. Also needs mods or a new belt. The helmet is not the best. It's oversized. And that helmet manufacturer/maker is frowned upon in the 501st. But overall it's still 501st approveable with basic mods. I can't see the detonator or the boots. So I can't comment. It's good starter armor. I did mine from scratch. So weigh your time and pick your battles. Remask it and paint over it. Make it look more worn. But you need to fix it a little.

Edited by Elumusic
  • Like 1

Me and him are the same body type.

And wow. A lot of great info there! Thank you Elumusic. I will take everything you said there into consideration before making this type of purchase. But you made it sound like a lot of work needs to be done.

He is selling it for $700 if you are curious and is all made by FX.

Edited by Vexus

I just received my AP kit for my shiny TK. I Think I should focus on one project at a time and if I wanna make a commander, I wanna do it right.

In the future, I may just purchase another kit and make my own commander.

Thanks a lot again. You helped me with my final decision on this.. Which will be to wait and make it from a kit. :) sure.. This armor could of gotten me to the 501st faster, but I'd rather do it right the 1st time.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mainly how the suspenders attach to the chest plate and back plate. I can see that it's 2 straps but is it 1 strap with both snaps and then the long suspender riveted to it or is it the suspenders snapped on and then a short strap with 1 snap riveted to the suspender strap?

Edited by DayFire

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mainly how the suspenders attach to the chest plate and back plate. I can see that it's 2 straps but is it 1 strap with both snaps and then the long suspender riveted to it or is it the suspenders snapped on and then a short strap with 1 snap riveted to the suspender strap?

I riveted a short three inch elastic strap to the suspenders near the chest piece and put a snap onto the end. It snaps to the inside of the chest and the elastic allows it to move a little.