Flying with armor or shipping it?

I plan on flying to PAX Prime as well as Dragon Con from California. I was wondering how other people travel to out of state events with their armor? Are you able to ship it to the hotel or something like that ahead of time?

I know that people have done it both ways, Brian.  Many major hotels will accept packages for incoming guests, but either way, be SURE to pack it well using as much foam and/or bubble wrap as you possibly can.  Airline baggage handlers and the various shippers (I'm not going to mention any names, that would be indiscreet... USPS, UPS FEDEX) are not known for handling parcels with a soft touch.  And be sure to INSURE it!!

I know that people have done it both ways, Brian.  Many major hotels will accept packages for incoming guests, but either way, be SURE to pack it well using as much foam and/or bubble wrap as you possibly can.  Airline baggage handlers and the various shippers (I'm not going to mention any names, that would be indiscreet... USPS, UPS FEDEX) are not known for handling parcels with a soft touch.  And be sure to INSURE it!!

Ya know, as a former baggage handler, I have something to say about that....

He's absolutely right. Some guys I seriously thought they saw "Fragile" on something, and they thought it meant "Throw harder." If you do wind up checking it, call the airline's customer service line to find out what their policy is on insurance. Most have an assumed dollar amount per person per bag that they'll cover. Some will also exempt liability on some items. I know my airline you can buy extra insurance on top of what's already assumed, but I would call just to be on the safe side and make sure you understand the policy. Makes it easier on the other end if something actually DOES happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Shipping is an interesting topic for me at the moment as I'm planning to attend SW Celebration in London next year and I plan to mail my suit. Who has experience shipping international to a hotel? How long before hand do you ship and how long will the hotel's hold on to it for you? I imagine this isn't info you can just look up on a hotel website, I'm assuming I'd need to call the hotel ahead of time. If anyone has any storys, I'd love to hear them.