Can I make my own armor?

With the new Star Wars force awakens coming out i decided to go wearing stormtrooper armor but I don't want to spend 500$ for something I'm going where at one movie

Ā 

So you don't see yourself wearing TK armor at any other events? No troops or parties, anything in your area?

Bottom line, it will cost a LOT more to make your own armor from scratch than to buy a kit. This is an expensive hobby.

But there are a lot of other options that may work out better. You could throw together a pretty good jawa or sandperson costume for less investment. It may not meet the 501st standards, but it would be a masked character and people love it. I have a non-approvable jawa.

Might even befriend a local 501st member and see if you could borrow a set for the premiere.Ā 

Edited by netslave

IT's kind of unclear what exactly you are asking here. Don;t get me wrong, we are here to help. If the title of your post leads to the idea that you are planning to make your own armor, you WILL spend a heck of a lot more than $500 before you even have a helmet let alone the rest of the suit.Ā 

Trust me, if you spend the money and properly assemble a suit from one of our armor dealers here, you will meet up with your local garrison, go to an event, have one little boy or girl look up at you and smile and suddenly the money you spent will have little to no meaning.Ā 

• Like 6

Unfortunately, Liam, it will cost a LOT more than $500.00 to put together a "proper" set of TK armor.Ā  The armor alone will set you back from $500.00 to $1200.00 +, depending on the maker.Ā  Then, you will have to purchase all the accessories, i.e. boots, neck seal, E-11 blaster, undersuit, canvas belt, holster, etc., not to mention the supplies needed to put it together.Ā  I would say the least you could get away with is around the $900.00 mark, and even that is low...

I don't mean to discourage you by any means, but once you have it done, you could think about joining the 501st as a stormtrooper, and use it many, many times at the various charity appearances we do.Ā  Plus, you will get to meet a lot of great people in our community!

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 2

No one is trying to discourage you from making your own armor. The folks on this board are all about helping out new stormtroopers.

Ā 

I watched the video posted, and that's definitely a way to make cheap armor. You can go that route, but it depends on how you want to look. If the armor this guy made, which is creative, is up to your standards, then by all means go with his method. If you want armor where you look like an actual stormtrooper, then you might want to look around a bit more.

Chilis how is your armor and how much did it cost I'm 11 and I don't have much of a budget

Ā 

Ahhh, knowing your age makes things more clear, Liam. Your limited budget makes more sense.Ā 

Ā 

I have troopermaster armor. It is a fantastic set, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Ā 

However, being 11 I'm guessing you're also a bit smaller than the rest of us. There is a gentleman who sells armor for younger stormtroopers; his name is Walt. He makes it in a way that it will still fit as the young one grows.Ā 

Ā 

You can find his for sale thread on the forum.

Ā 

Also, here's a link to a for sale thread from someone who has a set and is looking to sell it.

Ā 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32387-wtf-tk-kids-armor-for-sale/

Ā 

I hope this helps out. Feel free to ask more questions.Ā 

Ā 

:smiley-sw013:

Try doing a search for making armor using foamies or craft foam. For what you are looking to do, you may be able to make 'armor' using craft foam and glue. It will take some time, and will look better with some attention to detail. There are some guys who have done that for their sons/daughters instead of investing lots of money in something you will grow out of in a year. You can also check out the Replica Prop forum (RPF). But people here will be happy to help advise you in the process.

Ā 

Something like this:

-------------

Ā 

Just an idea and you are mostly limited by time and imagination. I've build plenty of things with foamies. You can seal it and make it more solid by covering it in a glue/water mix and then painting it when it dries.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

If you're just going to wear it once and want something that looks like a Stormtrooper, you can make one out of foam. Check out Astyanax's thread where he made one for his kids. The helmet in the video you linked actually looks kind of cool (the paper mache one).

If you're just going to wear it once and want something that looks like a Stormtrooper, you can make one out of foam. Check out Astyanax's thread where he made one for his kids. The helmet in the video you linked actually looks kind of cool (the paper mache one).

Thank You so much for the help I think this will be really useful

I think a lot of people misunderstood you at first. This forum mainly focuses on movie-quality costumes for adults, and they are quite expensive. They are also way, waaay overkill for any kid.

Ā 

Yes, we have to guys here on the forum who makes and sells kits for kids, but they are made using the same materials and quality of adult size costumes and cost almost as much. So unless you can get your parents to pay for you, you're going to have to stick to the cheaper options of cutting up foam pieces and glue them together to make a suit.