Doopydoos- Safe for trooping?

Sgt_Boodles

As I wait for my Anovos kit to come in, I've begun doing research on how do go about making my E-11, and right now I'm deciding between doing a Hasbro/Disney conversion and a straight resin Doopydoss kit.

I'm worried about the 'troopability' of a full resin kit...knowing that resin would break easily if dropped, I've seen many people post that they opt for other methods, however no one is saying NOT to do it and there continue to be doopy build threads. I suppose what I'm getting at is the consensus seems a little wishy-washy to me, with nobody saying outright "don't do it" but no one saying "go ahead, it's perfect."

I'm [mostly] confident in my own ability to handle a resin replica, but I worry about the tiny spazy hands of an excited kid who may want to hold it...thoughts from you guys?

I think you will find that there are hundreds, if not thousands, that troop with full resin E-11s, (myself included).  You just have to be selective about who you let hold it.  I try my best to be obliging, but on occasion I have had to say nicely "I'm sorry, but it's against Imperial regulations" if I think it may hit the ground at some point.  You can also go for a Hyperfirm, like the ones slavefive makes,which will just bounce!

Also, if you are shooting for Centurion level, the Hasbro conversions are not allowed.

I have a full resin doopys for my Gunner. It's a perfectly fine trooping weapon. Most of my blasters are resin- but I do make a point of not handing them out willy-nilly to kids to hold. It's a great way to get it dropped and/or stolen!

My wife had a resin Scout Holdout blaster that she's dropped a few times getting it in and out of her holster and parts have broken off. I have two doopy e11 kits waiting for me to build, but I'm not sold that they will end up being my forever trooping weapons do to the fact that I've heard their resin may be more brittle than others. I can't verify that though, but you can but it together pretty solidly. Just be careful. 

I DO highly recommend a hyperfirm though. I have a hyperfirm DLT-19 and it's indestructible. I love giving it to little kids to hold for a picture and not have to worry about it. Even their B-grades are awesome. 

So my recommendation, get the doopy, and make it centurion level but keep it safe, then buy a Hyperfirm B Grade E-11 for trooping. Or Just buy a centurion level Hyperfirm and be done. 

I've been trooping with my DD for the past couple of months and it's held up well. Only a couple of kids, and one adult, asked to hold it, and I apologized and said it was against Imperial regulations for a stormtrooper to hand over their weapon.

Maybe later I'll get a b-grade hyper firm for trooping, and I will let the little ones hold it. But for now this seems to be working just fine.

• Like 1

There are no 501st laws that say you HAVE TO let someone hold your weapon. IF you want, you can "help" a little fan hold it by holding the front portion while they hold the pistol grip or vice versa. 

I have a DD resin blaster. No issues here. First "accident" broke off my front sights, but its really not a big deal. Easy fix. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I personally don't let fans hold my blaster. 

My DD blaster is real so nobody gets to hold it. Lord Vader would be displeased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm leaning more towards the Doopy kit now, as for the price it seems pretty great and it'll give me some good experience with prop building.

Some have mentioned Hyperfirm- are these comparable in price? Are they usually in-stock from whoever sells them, or are they done in runs?

Thanks again, really supportive community here :)

You can get a B grade Hyperfirm for $150, which is what I plan on doing eventually. The B grade is cheaper than the A grade (which are $300) since there are some minor issues from my understanding like air bubbles. My Doopydoo's will just be a display piece.

If you are leaning towards Dooydoos, Nick, I would seriously advise that you order it now, (if they are in stock).  The reasons are that shipping can take over a month, and it seems that lately they are out of stock a lot.  On their website, (if it is out of stock), you can have them email you when it is available.  When you get the email, do not delay.  They can (and mostly do) sell out quickly... often in a matter of minutes.