My Plasma Rifle build =0

First off, let me shamelessly plug my Incinerator Build thread

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32116-my-build-thread-0/

Its awesome, so check that out if you haven't already and leave a comment.

sVRPbjQ.jpg

I originally wasn't going to do a flamethrower as I thought it would be too much work. But I played with the idea and slowly started assembling parts.

I love the T-21s that the sandtroopers have so I wanted somewhat of a crossbreed between the two. I figured as the source material is a video game we have a little bit of play room. So this will not be a build looking to replicate the game down to the T.

I loved making mine. There is latitude in its design but remember the FISD guidelines:

"The flamethrower may be scratch built and based off of the images used in the video game (The Force Unleashed). It should have a rifle body with a plasma bottle on the right side, plus a scope."

Having seen yours started has reminded me that I wanted to replace my solid butt with the more open design you have. Tweaking, mods, repairs, tweaking, mods, repairs....it never stops.

qMtsKeJ.jpg

I think this was the hardest part. Routing these groves in took a little bit of thinking. There is one grove that I accidentally cut too much away and designated that as the bottom.

ZGhuq5o.jpg

This is me just trying to get an idea of what I have and what I want to do.

4jb5r4Q.jpg

hCBU6fe.jpg

I glued some foam together in ruffle the shape I want for the end and sanded it smooth.

H4vTVX0.jpg

After painting and and sanding and painting and sanding and painting it (over and over again) I got something like this.

81BaKWn.jpg

I cut and glued the funnel on to make a cone. Almost everything I glue for this I'm using Barge.

Thanks man, I've had to rush the final touches because I've got to have everything ready for a con I'm trooping this weekend >D. I still have quite a bit of build photos to post tho.

Ah yes. Starting to look very nice. Sometimes its not until the details start to go on, like the piping, then suddenly it goes bam! Its a Star Wars weapon.

I don't know how your are painting this but I will tell you what i did.

I used a spray can for painting BBQs! I thought it was apt given the Incinerator status. It takes a while to dry, smells like hell (use only in a well ventilated space) but gives a nice matt finish that seems to be pretty tough and hardwearing (so far at least).

After, little flecks of silver paint were added  here and there to give it that worn look.

I saw another trooper that did this on there plasma rifle and thought it looked cool and wanted to do something similar.

8M2vdZq.jpg

I had some plastic and split rivets left over from my costume to use

TyI7AWB.jpg

It was easy to cut trim drill and glue it all into place

CJwS4hi.jpg

Look pretty sweet to me

3zcFJ7e.jpg

Nice idea. I want to make another plasma rifle now. I might get into making weapons for fun - even if I don't have the armour to troop them with. I want to have a plain Stormie (I have a spare helmet already), then a Biker Scout, then a Sandtrooper and a Trooper from Episode VII in there somewhere!

I debated doing an Episode VII trooper. I can't wait to see how they're used in the film. I also thought about doing an airborne clone. But to be honest my second choice is the 41st elite corps phase 2 clones. There just something about the way they look with the grey marking that really appeal to me. Maybe for my next suit, who knows. Actually my original plan was to put the same grey marketing on a storm trooper and not be 501st, but after spending the cash and looking at the different options I went with incinerator.

Nice idea. I want to make another plasma rifle now. I might get into making weapons for fun - even if I don't have the armour to troop them with. I want to have a plain Stormie (I have a spare helmet already), then a Biker Scout, then a Sandtrooper and a Trooper from Episode VII in there somewhere!

rCWnnDy.jpg

I glued a spare piece to the outside to make it look more random and spacey.

Sorry about the blurry photo.

QLQCXxC.jpg

I decided to use the hair spray can for my plasma tank or whatever that thing is.

NwSlpYb.jpg

This little blue ring is probably the heaviest thing on the rifle. But I needed something to make it look less like a spray paint can.

BdIrBHl.jpg

I knew if I intended to ship this to London for Star Wars Celebration next year I'd have to make it in two parts to break down.

SGqN3xm.jpg

I cut a groove so the to pieces would easily side together and only come apart when you press a button that was already on the rifle for disassembly.

bEspSZ5.jpg

As I think I mentioned before, I had to rush some of the final details to get this ready for a con I trooped, so I didn't have time to take more pics. Sorry guys!

ckSnlSe.jpg

The rifle held up great for the entire event. I had a little bit of the black paint come off on my white armor but it wasn't at all noticeable. I'll probably paint the plasma tank metallic blue or a dark blue to match the screen shots more.

I haven't really decided if I want to weather it or not, maybe some day. Have you uploaded close ups of your rifle yet? I love to see it in full detail. Also did you ever end up adding more weathering to you legs?

That look very cool. Will you be weathering/ageing the rifle? I painted a couple of small ares red to highlight some detail - worked well.

Here is the rifle:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130766414@N04/16882860882/in/dateposted-public/

The end nozzle got knocked off trooping and i decided to leave it off - looks better.

I only added more ash weathering to the boots as they were too clean. I added too much then rubbed them down - they look much better now! 

I have just been doing repairs after Saturdays big long troop. I have also adjusted my holster so the blaster can actually sit in there and be clipped in securely. I have had a couple of kids trying to take it out!

My Armourer was on the troop and suggested changing the elastic holding the upper legs to the body from 1" to 2" elastic. Also to use the same elastic to join the lower arms to the upper arms as I have a problem with the lower arms rotating. This should help pull the lower arms up as well as pulling the upper arms down. In addition, I have problems with my neck/shoulders so have adapted a sports support to spread some of the load on my shoulders. 

I got brave and hacked off 1" from the top of my cod piece as it was looking too long. That brought the whole thing up and raised the upper legs for a better look.

it never ends.....

rxtMMTj.jpg

I did end up painting the plasma tank. I also put a screw in the scope. Before, glue was the only thing holding it on. Now I can sleep easy knowing it's not going to fall off on my next troop.

al7V9bV.jpg

This is very cool!

When routing the groves, it looks like you attached the thin piece of wood to the tube and routed through that? Does doing it that way make a cleaner cut with your router or was it just for stability?

And thanks for posting so many pics :) Great ideas you have.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it was for stability. Because it's round it would tend to want to turn if you try it free hand just running it along the fence. I don't remember what it's called, but I used a piece of 1/4 inch material that's stronger than cardboard but weaker than plywood so it was stable but still easy to cut through.

Thanks

This is very cool!

When routing the groves, it looks like you attached the thin piece of wood to the tube and routed through that? Does doing it that way make a cleaner cut with your router or was it just for stability?

And thanks for posting so many pics :) Great ideas you have.

• 7 months later...

What make/model of airsoft rifle did you use as a base? I think once I get past this step, the rest of my build will be cake.

On 7/29/2015 at 7:59 PM, yoshix said:

First off, let me shamelessly plug my Incinerator Build thread
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32116-my-build-thread-0/
Its awesome, so check that out if you haven't already and leave a comment.

I originally wasn't going to do a flamethrower as I thought it would be too much work. But I played with the idea and slowly started assembling parts.

I love the T-21s that the sandtroopers have so I wanted somewhat of a crossbreed between the two. I figured as the source material is a video game we have a little bit of play room. So this will not be a build looking to replicate the game down to the T.