Simon's ANH Stunt Build [TM]

TK-32700

Today I reached a milestone. I have used up another roll of blue tape. Luckily, it was just enough to start on the final leg (if you excuse the pun) of the tight assembly. They are currently resting comfortably with magnets and clamps in my blue glue room. 

8gRoDuw5U5nzibWaPiLJDwtatBzm-j8lRDED8f3T

I plan on letting the glue cure for 24-48 hours.

Other things done: 

- Test fitted the lens sheet and black mesh in the helmet.

- Test fitted the foam padding in the helmet.

- Installed the Hovi tips.

- Done some important testing of (read: playing, goofing around with) the iComm.

- Acquired: Chigago screws for the belt, white elastics for the shoulder straps, paint brushes.

Unfortunately the summer vacation is over, and I was back at work today. I will try not to become stagnant. This guy will help me:

JcIEt61jdKHGimEuf9DbQuaTckhPSwLiGgT1dAIb

Edited by SimonBoba
Moved images to new host

Progress pictures, thighs:

g9YLKdi7RyUYDP6iMxn92x_9lRDF-GVnfE_uIILY

JTl2bPlzmLFbih_Iq8K_9GE3nVwqVItPKm1Mf6DRCtlUUcX4sytOAbfo56r4ci-f6yWd7UQscMNql7P6

fEWM-QIG_2R6yhMQGVNHITh_XF8wnGTNKNnOJZWd

Man, those double cap rivets were a [bad word] to set! The hammer was to large for the return edge in the plastic, and I did not have any other helpful tools. I ended up with unscrewing an old metal cupboard knob, held it in my fist and used it to bang the rivets in. It looked silly, but it worked.

The garter system is from Pencap510. I haven't done any extended testing, but I did try them up and down six flights of stairs in my apartment building. The garters held everything in place, and nothing important was squeezed.

Edited by SimonBoba
Moved images to new host

Thanks! Yes, those notches came pre-made. TM is a beautiful armour, and I only hope I can do it justice.

I'm going to paint the cap heads together with the side rivets. Speaking of, I don't think my Cupboard Knob Cap Rivet Basherâ„¢ will be much help with the split rivets. Will a hammer and screwdriver suffice, or should I start looking for a rivet tool?

So for the split rivets, I covered the rivets with blue tape (to hold them in place against the armor), put them on a towel, put the towel on a chunk of 2x4, and put that on the floor.  That protected the rivets from being scratched, protected the floor, and made my wife happy.  (:

Then I took a phillips screwdriver, put that between the split rivet legs, and wailed on it with a hammer until the legs were split well enough that I could hit each leg individually, and got them as flat as possible. I had my wife help me hold the armor upright so I was hitting straight down... same thing with the cod rivet and snaps.  She kept the rivets and things against the floor, and minimized flexing of the armor.

I used a phillips screwdriver because it would ensure more even splitting, since both legs were being forced apart, rather than forcing just one down or the other, as would be more likely with a flat head screwdriver.

Once it's all done, I highly suggest covering up the rivet legs with Sugru or something else like that to keep them from scratching you or snagging on your undersuit.

• Like 1

Beautiful work Simon. Thighs armor have always been ones of my favorite parts of the whole armor and yours look wonderful! 

So for the split rivets, I covered the rivets with blue tape (to hold them in place against the armor), put them on a towel, put the towel on a chunk of 2x4, and put that on the floor.  That protected the rivets from being scratched, protected the floor, and made my wife happy.  (:

Then I took a phillips screwdriver, put that between the split rivet legs, and wailed on it with a hammer until the legs were split well enough that I could hit each leg individually, and got them as flat as possible. I had my wife help me hold the armor upright so I was hitting straight down... same thing with the cod rivet and snaps.  She kept the rivets and things against the floor, and minimized flexing of the armor.

I used a phillips screwdriver because it would ensure more even splitting, since both legs were being forced apart, rather than forcing just one down or the other, as would be more likely with a flat head screwdriver.

Once it's all done, I highly suggest covering up the rivet legs with Sugru or something else like that to keep them from scratching you or snagging on your undersuit.

Nice technique but you used the wrong rivets. Simon did use the correct rivets for the thighs though which are CAP rivets, and they don't get secured the same way than split rivets do.

Nope, Simon asked about the split rivets (presumably for the ab-kidney connection and the cod) above:

Speaking of, I don't think my Cupboard Knob Cap Rivet Basherâ„¢ will be much help with the split rivets. Will a hammer and screwdriver suffice, or should I start looking for a rivet tool?

So that's the technique I told him about.  I used cap rivets for my thigh ammo pack like I was supposed to!

• Like 1

Nope, Simon asked about the split rivets (presumably for the ab-kidney connection and the cod) above:

So that's the technique I told him about.  I used cap rivets for my thigh ammo pack like I was supposed to!

My bad sorry. You see so many times people making that mistake that i assumed you were.

Returning to work after the summer vacation, I feel like my build has come to a grinding halt.  :wacko: I have been working the early shift this week. Me being an evening chronotype, I do not function at all on days where I have to wake up before 6 in the morning. I haven't had any energy or mental capacity to do any work on the armour this week. I have the night shift next week, so I hope to have much work on the armour done during the day.

I did manage to get some work done last weekend, most notably on the forearms. They were among the first parts that I worked on, so I was never happy with them. It felt like my arms had too much room. So I kept the parts in the freezer for 15 minutes, and it worked like a charm. The E6000 came off in no time. After I pulled them apart, I trimmed off 20 mm, and re-glued the cover strips. Much better fit! And I still have room to spare. 

I have some wiggle room in the biceps as well, but not nearly as much as the forearms. If I redo the biceps, I think it will suffice to take off 4-8 mm. Or I could just use foam padding.

Finally, I have ordered a new pair of pants. Fingers crossed for no visible seams, like the last time. Fortunately, both these and the previous ones I bought were cheap. Unfortunately, I now get really weird suggestions on eBay. :blink:

Edited by SimonBoba
Moved images to new host
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking, Tony!

I haven't made much progess the last couple of weeks. I still have to figure out the balancing act between work and play. It seemed so easy during the vacation...

I might do some work later this evening, though. If all goes well, I hope to have the internal strapping figured out soon.

I slept for only two hours last night due to a music festival in my neighborhood, so I did not get to be as productive as I hoped for this weekend. But I did a test run using tape as strapping. It was exciting to feel how the armour would sit on the body!

Here I have marked where all the snaps, screws and brackets should go: 

RGCCaMDYvAX9I7zk8NLD_AMoeDd-WSIceUGCW-C9

Edited by SimonBoba
Moved images to new host

• 1 month later...

Oh, right, the armor! Should really try to get it done soon. I've already got my tickets for EpVII. (First in line in my hometown, wohoo!) Well, I'd better get started again.

So, procrastination, work and life in general has gotten in the way the last couple of months, but I have dusted off my workspace and started on the armor again. I finally dared to punch a hole in to install the snaps and rivets. My first victim was the butt plate.

aB-J30g9aFoEcH0MH91LqwgmlZUqxMKiZAo1H_SL

The first snap was easier than I thought, but it did not make the next snap any less scary. I hope... No, I WILL do some work over the weekend.

Edited by SimonBoba
Moved images to new host
  • Like 1

Great to see you picked up the build again! I looked a lot at this thread when I started my own build on a TM. Can't wait to see your finished armour, all the pieces till now look really good!