Concerns with forearms and big hands

Vertex

So I've taped up the forearms (parts 7/8 A-B-C) to see how they would fit and I can see why these get put under a lot of stress when being put on. I have quite large hands and to be honest I don't think once these are glue together I'll be able to put them on so I'm looking at possible alternatives.

I currently have two Ideas..

The first would be to have a wider backing strip on one or both butt joints of parts A and B. This would make for a larger space for the hand to go through at the wrist end. Of course the would increase the overall circumference of the forearm.

The second would be to work in some sort of velcro closure somewhat similar to what you see with shins. Placed along part C. Glued on the outer side of the forearm and velcro on the inner side.

Would like to hear what others may think of my ideas and if anyone else ran into the issues with big hands and how they got around it.

jOEq6SV.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

On a few reference photos it looks like the cover plate is not glued on at all in the front.

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-

For example here (Celebration Exhibit), look at the left arm of the left trooper, or here (SDCC Reel), look at the one who is drinking.

At least for now I will try to just hold the plate in place with some elastic. Your idea with the velcro also sounds good.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I do see what you mean, particularly in the SWCA pic. I do wonder if that's by design or just something that got stressed a little too much while say dressing the mannequin.

If I had glued my cover plates completely, I would not have been able to fit my hand through as well. With only gluing about 3/4 the way down, I am able to sneak my hands through without any real stress on the forearm.

Looking closely through the watermark reveals a similar situation on the left arm of the TK on the right, which leads me to believe that it is less likely stress while dressing the mannequin and more likely a design/assembly element.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I had velcroed the entire length instead of gluing and leaving a 3/4, 2/3 or 1/2 length unglued. However, in hindsight I think it was unwise to have used industrial velcro, because the force needed to open the velcro was disconcerting. There are some techniques to avoid using a "pull apart" method to separate velcro, such as a dull blade sliiped in between the velcro. I can slip my hand easily through the opening, so it ended up not being an issue for me. I just like having options wherever possible. If I remember correctly, there were a few folks that used the elastic closure method. It would have been my choice #2 to try out if I had time. :)

Best, -Krista :atat:

Hi Serge,

I'm going by memory, please forgive any inadvertent error. I'll try to expound, though the best input would be from troopers that performed the method. As memory serves, a portion of the length of the forearm (that has the "velcro tab" as you've shown above) was glued. Instead of using velcro to maintain closure, elastic was placed inside the forearm so that the end of the forearm would close due to the pull of the elastic. I suppose in theory the same principle would apply all the way up the forearm toward elbow. I think though, many folks found the forearms to be roomy at that end. I can't remember whether the elastic was sandwiched in-between ABS layers by glue then glued to the inside of the forearm, riveted to one piece of ABS and then glued to forearm, etc.

I took a look through our forearm resource pinned in this forum, and sadly we don't have pics of the elastic closure method. If perhaps any trooper found success in this measure they could post a few build pics to help out those thinking of going this route. 

Best wishes for your build! -Krista  :atat:

Krista,

Would it be similar to the way that the shins closed in the OT TKs, only without the hooks? Just elastic bands glued on the sides of the top piece, to the forearm insides to allow for expansion when putting them on or taking them off?

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Thanks Krista. I think after reading your post and giving it a little more thought I now understand. Initially I think I unintentionally over-complicated things in my head - when in fact its a simple solution.

Basically the bands are placed so that in its natural at rest state they would hold everything in place - lid/Part C closed. You would then pull the lid on one edge to allow to more easily run your hand through - this would put the bands under tension but probably not require as much force as needed if velcro was used. Once the hand is through all you have to do is release the lids and the bands will retract back to the un-stretched state.

Edited by Vertex

Bravo, Serge! Yes.

You can see why it could more desirable than velcro. If you choose to go that route, I'd love to hear how it went for you. And… if you don't mind… where you placed the elastic. Pics of the inside of the forearm looking down from the elbow to the wrist would be quite helpful. If you're not comfortable posting a pic, I understand. 

Happy Building! -Krista  :atat:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where am at with this. My plan is to try one forearm with velcro and another with elastic and see which is better.

I've placed some strips of velcro in hopes have having enough material to provide a good close but not make it so its difficult to pry open.

The velcro seems to be holding up pretty good. There is a slight gap of perhaps .5 mm (or less) on the side that has the velcro between 8C and 8A. I think this can be reduced by adjusting the placement of the velcro. I do find it relatively easy to open and close.

zNGzZ2P.jpg

qFaA00a.jpg

I think this may be a viable option but will still try the elastic band on the other.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1