Brandon

Yellowing preventative measures

Are there any updates? I have FX armor and noticed a slight discoloration, still wearable but I would like to know if anyone has used retrobright and if they have seen results.

I've made a handful of suits for people in New Zealand. It's hard to get a regular supply of ABS over here so I've about 4 or 5 different suppliers and different batches of plastic. So some of my suits seem to yellow faster than others. Mind you the UV's over here are nuts. Burn time in NZ in summer is 3 or 4 minutes it must be hell on the suits!

But I have noticed that the suits pulled from straight ABS without acrylic capping have weathered really well and some of the acrylic capped has held up well too. I'd be keen to hear other people's experiences too.

• Like 1

We have yellowing issues with MTK, RS and AP. For that matter if you troop outside a lot, over time you are going to get the UV problem.

As a preventative from the beginning, you could try some of the UV protectant car polishes available, kinda like a sunscreen,but for your armour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't store armor in vinyl or gym / hockey type gear bags that have PVC in them. I'm talking about any plastic container or bag that smells like a plastic shower curtain etc.<br><br>

The PVC off gases, and will disclor and yellow your armor. Happened to one of my early ABS suits.

Edited by pandatrooper

I am dealing with this on my MTk armor but I troop at least once a month, outside in direct sunlight. I was told that you can use a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, spray it on your armor, and let it sit out side in indirect sun light. Has anyone tried this as I am about to tomorrow. I ahve an important troop coming up saturday which will be on tv and I want to look my best. 

I wonder how 303 protectant would work?

I have been using it for years on all my vehicles and unlike Armorall it is made for plastics and is not greasy.

I have seen several examples of Troopers using this product from Trooperbay:  https://trooperbay.com/tooperbay-armorwhite, and they came out great.

thats next if what I am doing now doesnt work. Have all my armor strewn about my back patio soaking today, while Im at work. I feel like Ive locked a child in the car! 

• Like 1

Looking at the yellowing pattern in the photos it has to be from direct sunlight exposure or another UV light source. The yellowing is only on the areas that are relatively flat and would get the most sun light hitting them. Areas normally in shadow like under the bump outs on back plate have no yellowing.

This has me a bit concerned since I'm waiting for my RS suit to arrive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Other things that you store your armor with can and will make it discolor. Boots, glues, neoprene, all have a bad effect on ABS. My first TK kit is yellowed, and It spent little time in direct sunlight. Nobody can make the rightful claim that their plastic does not yellow or discolor, even when acrylic capped.

At this point all you can do is repaint it. Use Krylon fusion and you wont have to prime it first.  

Do not store your armour in anything pvc vinyl based eg: gym or hockey bags etc. I've had armour yellow when in contact with pvc vinyl.

I ordered the stuff from trooperbay which should be here today. I found out by me keeping min in a suit case that has a plastic liner in it is most likely the cause. Ive been to cheap and busy to get a bin, which I will be getting now after I whiten it up. Ill post up some pics of the process. 

14725646_10209168592825762_346542170749514516420_10209170528634156_7729884831211

ok, this stuff works amazing!It came out just as if it were pulled from the molds. 

• Like 5

ok, this stuff works amazing!It came out just as if it were pulled from the molds. 

I've just started doing mine today. Did you rotate yours every so often so it was in direct sun light? Or just in the general rays? For 24hrs??

I'm going to give this AmorWhite a try.  I bought my armor from Hollywood FX about 16 years ago.   I want to display it now that i have the room.  When i took it out of the box (standard cardboard)  I saw the yellowing.  If I cannot get it to a nice bright white,  I am going to make it look sandie since I have a red pauldron already. 

Youngjedi  (TK267)

I am going to make it look sandie since I have a red pauldron already. 

Youngjedi  (TK267)

Why bother with the effort then? You'll be applying yellows/browns/blacks to it anyway?

BTW: Mine worked a treat. Really happy with it. I did have to do the helmet a second time though. 

Ian, That thought went through my mind as well. For the price, i gave it a try on a few pieces and found it work very well. Even on a cloudy day it managed to restore the white on my shoulder bell and thermal detonator caps and plate. Even though it is an old FX armor and doesn't fit, I may or may not make it a sandie. Haven't decided yet, I am looking to buy new armor (AM or something) that fits better for my physique. 5'9" 233 lbs.<br><br>

On the next sunny day, I'll try and remember to post some before and after pics.<br><br>

Youngjedi

Brandon, I use Meguiar's PlastX to polish my armor every few months or so and not only does

it clean and shine but it also removes any "yellowing". Due to another squadmate's mistake, I

was left with his "glued thumbprint" on my chest armor! I sanded it down to make it less visible

and as a result, removed the clearcoat. I've only seen that spot yellow once as it had been a

while since I polished everything. The polish is made to remove fogging of headlight covers

and can be purchased at any auto parts store for about $12. MUCH better than using the

Novus set and a lot cheaper.

I would like to second Ken's recommendation of the Meguiar's PlastX. My armor is about a year old and I tried the Novus polish awhile back and wasn't overly impressed. I tried the PlastX though last week and my armor looks new again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys - I realise this is an old post but just looking at addressing yellowing on my TK - does anyone know if a UV light such as a blacklight globe the way to go to help with the process of Retrobright? I'm going to give the PlasticX by Meguiars a go in the meantime. Cheers!

6 hours ago, phil said:

part of my armour went yellow. I used car T cut works great

Thanks mate - did you use anything else to polish afterwards?