Brandon

Yellowing preventative measures

So I know talking about what to do if your armor yellows is a fairly common topic around here....

Having just started a new TM build, I am not feeling too keen on playing the abs lottery in which I wait and see if the armor eventually turns yellow. My fx kit of 8 years still seems to be perfectly white to me, but I guess you never know right?

Has anyone discovered a preventative measure to stop yellowing? Maybe some sort of UV protecting layer or magic pixie dust?  I'm actually making a sandie with this one so I know the yellow wouldn't be as big a deal but i feel the yellow would still stand out especially with more subtle weathering approach. 

I've never said any ABS I use yellows. If anyone has armour from me that has yellowed, I'd like to hear about it because none of my armour I've owned for years has ever yellowed.

Direct quote from Troopermaster from one of my posts so I would say don't worry.

• Like 1

I think you should be fine, Brandon, unless you do a lot of trooping outdoors in direct sunlight.   I have read where this has happened, but it is somewhat rare, and can be remedied.  Since you are going for sandie, it might even look a bit more authentic!

TM ABS does not yellow. I think it's down the chemicals used in the production of ABS in the UK which are prohibited in other countries. I have never heard anyone with TM mention their armour has yellowed.

• Like 2

TM ABS does not yellow. I think it's down the chemicals used in the production of ABS in the UK which are prohibited in other countries. I have never heard anyone with TM mention their armour has yellowed.

Sorry Paul but I disagree with that comment as my 1.5mm TM suit has yellowed quite alot and it's only a couple of years old.

Sorry Paul but I disagree with that comment as my 1.5mm TM suit has yellowed quite alot and it's only a couple of years old.

Ooops, now it gets interesting...

This thread is worthless without pictures.

Brandon, I use Meguiar's PlastX to polish my armor every few months or so and not only does

it clean and shine but it also removes any "yellowing". Due to another squadmate's mistake, I

was left with his "glued thumbprint" on my chest armor! I sanded it down to make it less visible

and as a result, removed the clearcoat. I've only seen that spot yellow once as it had been a

while since I polished everything. The polish is made to remove fogging of headlight covers

and can be purchased at any auto parts store for about $12. MUCH better than using the

Novus set and a lot cheaper.

• Like 3

I wonder if yellowing could be attributed to other sources, especially in such a short period as TK3645 suggest his armor yellowed in. 

For instance cigarette smoke over time will yellow all sorts of materials and I believe even uncoated ABS.

I am considering protecting my armor with an acrylic sealant which also contains some UV protection.

There are many on the market and I have used several of them on my vehicles...

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&query=acrylic&x=0&y=0 

Just a thought....

Bob

Edited by bobio

This thread is worthless without pictures.

These are some pictures of my 1.5mm TM suit ( 2.5 years old)

Also the suit has only been trooped in, never been on display and I don't smoke.

HPIM0567.jpg

HPIM0569.jpg

HPIM0570.jpg

HPIM0568.jpg

HPIM0573.jpg

HPIM0572.jpg

HPIM0560.jpg

HPIM0561.jpg

HPIM0562.jpg

HPIM0565.jpg

HPIM0552.jpg

HPIM0556.jpg

HPIM0554.jpg

These are only a few pictures but you get the idea....all the suit has been affected and is such not troopable now.

Edited by TK3645

Ok guys I mentioned this in the ongoing Avovos post yesterday but is relevant to this post also, here is what I read on 'Instructables' about it:-

'The yellowing of ABS when exposed to Ultraviolet light is the result of a flame retardant added to the plastic during the manufacturing process. The most common of which is tetrabromobisphenol –A, or TBBP-A. When exposed to UV light the TBBP-A degrades allowing Bromine to become a free radical. The bromine forms a bond with readily available oxygen and causes the yellow color.

By irradiating the ABS with UV light in the presence of more hydrogen atoms, in the form of hydrogen peroxide, we break the bonds between the oxygen and bromine and allow the bromine to bond with the hydrogen, thus reversing the discoloration'

http://www.instructa...armor/?ALLSTEPS.

'Read through all the comments though as user 'mfilos' talks about how to prevent the process reoccurring!.'

• Like 1

Brandon, I use Meguiar's PlastX to polish my armor every few months or so and not only does

it clean and shine but it also removes any "yellowing". Due to another squadmate's mistake, I

was left with his "glued thumbprint" on my chest armor! I sanded it down to make it less visible

and as a result, removed the clearcoat. I've only seen that spot yellow once as it had been a

while since I polished everything. The polish is made to remove fogging of headlight covers

and can be purchased at any auto parts store for about $12. MUCH better than using the

Novus set and a lot cheaper.

I may have to try this on my 2 anovos kits when they come. As for the Sandie I wonder if this could be done without ruining the weathering

• Like 1

That's a new one on me. How long was it before it started to yellow and any particular polish you used?

I noticed the yellowing last year (so around  a year and a bit from new) and it's got worse the more times it was worn. No polish was used as I like the battle damaged effect on TK's. 

Right, well if anyone else has yellowing armour, chime in. Like I said, no one has ever brought this to my attention. Not that there is anything I or anyone can do about it, but it would be nice to know if it isn't a one-off.

None of my armour has ever yellowed but it rarely sees the light of day.

Right, well if anyone else has yellowing armour, chime in. Like I said, no one has ever brought this to my attention. Not that there is anything I or anyone can do about it, but it would be nice to know if it isn't a one-off.

None of my armour has ever yellowed but it rarely sees the light of day.

You may also want to know mysterious brown patches/marks appeared on the suit whilst the build was happening...I believe that another member on here has also reported these brown marks with his CFO suit some time ago. Whether there is a relationship between the brown marks and the yellowing..I don't know. I do know that I can't wear this suit due to the bad yellowing but hey as you said "Not that there is anything I or anyone can do about it"

You may not be able to prevent yellowing, but you can still wear the armour. A full refurbishment could be in order. There was a time when everyone had to paint their armour and some people still have to with their kits, even today. Never say never ;)

^I believe some of the original armor used for ANH had to be painted before use in ESB. So your armor should be even closer to accuracy.  :jc_doublethumbup:

tk-5246 shows how he did it with retrObright in my last post, its an open source formula! :D

http://www.instructables.com/id/Restoring-yellowed-Stormtrooper-armor/?ALLSTEPS

Yes! Sorry. I replied before following your link. :)

He made a great tutorial about it. :)

No worries Damian! ^_^  I can't speak from experience but that retrObright looks great,

I wonder how it would work on old collectable star wars toys that have gone yellowy.

No worries Damian! ^_^  I can't speak from experience but that retrObright looks great,

I wonder how it would work on old collectable star wars toys that have gone yellowy.

THAT should be tested by someone and posted here. Would be great.

I'm worried about yellowing since my research for the TK suits. It is a big topic, not only to white plastic. Was shocked to see Bryan's pictures as I have the same suit (but not the same problem - yet).

@ Bryan: was your suit exposed to direct sunlight for a longer time? (not meaning troops of a few hours, but maybe as static display on a mannequinn in a sunny room)

THAT should be tested by someone and posted here. Would be great.

I'm worried about yellowing since my research for the TK suits. It is a big topic, not only to white plastic. Was shocked to see Bryan's pictures as I have the same suit (but not the same problem - yet).

@ Bryan: was your suit exposed to direct sunlight for a longer time? (not meaning troops of a few hours, but maybe as static display on a mannequinn in a sunny room)

Hi Tino,

I only trooped in my suit and it wasn't on a static display. I must admit at some events i.e. comic conventions I wore the suit for around 7 hours or so...Maybe the long periods of time in all weather conditions has caused this? (We do get some sunny days here in the UK..not many but some :laugh1:)

I too was shocked when I first noticed the slight yellow tinge especially around the lid brow but in this hobby we all love I guess I put it down to a well used/trooped suit.

I have looked at the Retrobright info and haven't yet made my mind up whether to try the method or just paint the suit...The other thing is the suit has been repaired quite a bit with splits and cracks in the front ab and rear bottom (again it's been well trooped this suit has)...would the Retrobright method weaken the damaged areas even more? I doubt I would know until I tried.

Like Paul said I might of just been the unlucky one with a suit that's been affected...yours and all the other TM 1.5mm suits could be fine mate...but keep a close eye on it.

Hi Bryan, it seems as though its the oxygen causing the yellowing, depending on how much flame retardant is in the plastic.

Maybe after you used retrObright (if u use it) you could coat your armor with an acrylic lacquer that includes a 'UV Blocker' or 'UV Filter', some kind of automotive coat that would prevent the oxygen from reaching the plastic.

I havent tested this though and not sure how well different products would stand up to trooping but car products do seem to be fairly tough!

maybe a small test piece (thermal detonator) first!

Edited by welshchris77
  • Like 1