Starrfox's AP ANH Stunt Build (WIP) - Portland OR

Starrfox1

Hey guys, 

This will be a WIP for my ANH Stunt AP kit. I took most of the pictures that are scattered throughout the RPF, FISD, and on my local garrison's forum and combined them to make this post; I really need to start organizing my stuff better...

So, when my big brown (medium) box arrived it was in pretty bad shape:

f0eb62b579700208a09e3aa0baa881e7.jpg
9e10ea68987ad6dac4b3fc73d524b1df.jpg

Luckily the only thing that was really messed up was the cap:

8f2609fcd32e4a202d4daec07da8f151.jpg
f0ebe07a7a2f06419deafebe7aa378bb.jpg

However when I put the bucket together to see how bad the damage actually was...

d17e6f93564ff54e922eca4853530224.jpg
436910ae1c137291bcc38e7601d1b7f7.jpg

Not too shabby. Definitely a unique looking bucket, but hey, that's where the beauty lies, right? Really starting to appreciate the little intricacies with TK armor.

Ears will need some work:

ff6a3f3f8177e6f64535a7fd645e1431.jpg
f88f0e92023ccdeb6556348c08c40120.jpg

But other than that I think it looks pretty good. I'll have to disassemble to plastidip the interior but for now, I'm happy enough to throw some decals on:

251c25250a9360a7c80adc56ca6f4b83.jpg
a67039f48b269a15287cd2dfd2dd6dd7.jpg
5e3878f580724f853a909913763eaa9a.jpg
32ead44f66e309954865ac0cc66417d4.jpg

I'm really impressed with the decals. Very easy to mold to the contour of the bucket; I will remove these once I begin my centurion application and replace them with paint.

Also got some boots from imperialboots.com (super solid for the price and availability):

5d03f7bc22df955c10b59524916cc749.jpg

Just a small scratch on the side that has been covered with leather paint:

bfdb2ffbfa707cf0dd80ebc829f1da9d.jpg

Also... I got an E-11 from Germany (with real parts!) but it too has felt the wrath of USPS

b4c293f6e2c5e1f21b66fad30f6435d1.jpg
9078b32b91520b16c89eec8684467c1f.jpg
b31ac00513fb7bf8735d65c8989ca306.jpg
5518c3eedced200e6e75c4406386eaee.jpg
abd09c104504db29b28acea82e1af33c.jpg
ec87b826170c249324e4c114bf085a30.jpg

So, needless to say, I have some work to do. I will most likely be fixing the E-11 to use as a display piece as I have a Hyperfirm on the way and a DLT-19 hanging in my room. 

More to follow!

Honestly I kind of like how it looks... The cap is thin enough that when I put on the brow trim it flattens, but it leaves this nice little arch that I'm falling in love with more and more by the day. Eventually I'll probably fix it, but right now I'm terrified of the thought of applying heat to my armor :-P Also, I know it kind of looks like it in the pictures, but there is no crease on the cap where it's bent so if I eventually do decide to flatten it I'll have no issues. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Starrfox1

I've always loved Move Along, I think that's why I like the arch so much...

But I see what you're getting at  :P 

My girlfriend would murder me in my sleep if I ended up having both a Stunt and a Sandy... but then again she has something like 20 lolita dresses so I may have enough leverage to convince her. Almost bought that AM 2.0 kit that was in the "for sale" section, but luckily someone snagged it before I succumbed to my nerd-dom.... this hobby is dangerous, man.... Haven't even started trimming and I'm already thinking about other costumes and builds... I'm going to have to relinquish my credit card to the lady for safekeeping after I finish purchasing everything.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Here's a running list of things I already have or are being shipped:

- AP Kit from Mark, untrimmed

- E-11 from Felice (doopydoos w/real parts)

- Hyperfirm E-11 (on the way)

- Hyperfirm DLT-19 (on my wall)

- Boots (imperialboots.com)

- Holster from Gazmosis (on the way)

- Lexan scissors (on the way)

And here's what I still have to get: 

- E6000

- clamps

- magnets

- industrial velcro

- strapping brackets/snaps/rivets/hardware etc. (still undecided on strapping system and snaps vs. brackets)

- Dremel (could probably borrow my friend's)

- sandpaper (probably plenty of this at my friend's wood shop)

- undersuit - (got a shirt from a guy on here but unfortunately I haven't been lifting and my arms don't fill out the biceps.... the curse of being 5'11" and 130lbs is real....)

- canvas belt

- gloves/latex handplates

- x-acto blades

- helmet electronics: fan system (probably Echo's), functional Hovi mic tips (ukswrath), iComm/Rom/Fx

- neckseal (making this with help from the lady)

Ok.... now that I'm looking at this it seems like I have quite a few more things to get before even start thinking about assembling or even trimming - pretty overwhelming. Most of the spendier stuff is out of the way, but I still have a LONG way to go.

If there's anything that I forgot then please let me know, I would really appreciate it  :duim:

• Like 1

Wait until you have a wife and kids and then try justifying it! I don't use credit cards so I have to sneak in orders when and where I can. I kind of wish I would have jumped on the Anovos deal a few months back and could have picked up a second suit to use for a TK but my wife would have really killed me. I could have justified it and told the wife that for less of the price I'm paying for my TD backpack I could get a second costume. I got my canvas belt, Evil Boy helmet fans (will switch to Echos once I get a Legion ID), and neckseal off sellers here. I really want to get Tony's mic tip speaker set eventually and I believe he's developing his own environmental listening system so you can hear what's going around you with the bucket on. 

Yeah I messaged him about that a few days ago, I'd really love to see an all-encompassing system out of someone. Fans, voice, and audio put into one, easy to install unit would be amazing, I'm surprised nobody has done it yet. 

What kit do you currently have?

So I got my lexan scissors today... Took a small piece of ABS to practice on and tried to cover a variety of techniques. I tried the straight cut (score+snap seems to be better suited for trimming that requires long, straight cuts) and immediately noticed the thickness of the ABS. I've never CUT plastic before so it was interesting to see how the material reacted to cutting, sanding, and drilling. You guys are right, the first score and snap is like crack... Not speaking from personal experience but it was awesome seeing how this particular type of plastic reacted to cutting and sanding. I then tried cutting out a small coin to see how the curved scissors assisted in achieving a round cut - worked out pretty well. Experimented with different descending grits of sandpaper to try and achieve a polished look and succeeded for the most part. Also tried the boring tool that I got with the scissor set and hand drilled some nice holes with recessions (sorry if my terminology doesn't make sense, this is my first project) and had some pretty good results. Looking forward to getting covered in ABS shavings, this stuff gets EVERYWHERE!

Gaining confidence, stay tuned...

I end up doing most of my sanding outside because I don't have anything other than a dark, wet basement with a crappy sub-pump to work in. You'll learn by working with the armor where scissors are of better use and the same with score and snap. Just wait until you start the ears and if you end up cutting out hard hat mounts and you'll really be covered in abs dust. Most importantly, have fun!

Lolllllll I will post some when I get home, it's a beaut. I would really like to pick up another kit and go for MEPD swat, having the d-19 is making my wallet nervous... I will also post pics of my hyperfirm e-11, it got to the FedEx store today. I think I'm going to be happier with it than I am with my resin one. I'll also take some pics of the botched return edge, I don't think it's a big deal but it's a minor annoyance. I'm going to go much slower on the next piece

Updates:

Here are all 4 of my shin pieces. I'm having trouble identifying them and I think that 1 and 2 are identical. 3 and 4 are very different in shape, one seems to have a deeper angle at the knee...

OEqwmkO.jpg

Here are the two pieces in question, from above, and then staring directly down Through the knee. You can see on one of them that I trimmed the return edge off - pretty annoying but I'm hoping that it's half of the leg that has the sniper knee so that it will be covered. If not, I'm thinking of making some ABS slurry and fusing a small piece of scrap ABS to it so that I can sand down and create a new return edge.

UGqQh9E.jpg

uHzA3Rc.jpg

BTW sorry for the photo quality and lighting... I'm a pretty creative guy but photography is simply beyond my capacity. Please let me know if you want better pictures.

Also got my Hyperfirm E-11 in the mail, here are a few pics of it and then with big bro DLT-19

iNjlFza.jpg

HBDYJp2.jpg

fNKHw7B.jpg

Lastly, a bonus pic because I couldn't resist - please forgive the Rebel Alliance shirt, my imperial cog shirt is in the laundry :-P

NnGctv2.jpg

Nice!

If you're going for Centurion, you'll probably need to paint the scope on the E-11 black, and add a ring to the back of it. Both are super easy to do,  just something to consider doing when you're wanting to take a break from gluing and sanding armor!

Check, aaaaaand check! I'll probably do both once it gets closer to application day, I'm going to try and build as much to centurion as possible but the shin already has me worried... Can anyone identify those pieces so I can mark them? Lol

Parts 2 and 3 appear to be your right. 1 and 4 look to be the left. I bekueve there is a tutorial arelound here somewhere on how to identify them, but the link escapes me.

Maybe Tony or Mathias have it handy...or any other grizzled vet.

Parts 2 and 3 appear to be your right. 1 and 4 look to be the left. I bekueve there is a tutorial arelound here somewhere on how to identify them, but the link escapes me.

Man I hope you're right, That would mean the botched return edge on part 4 will be covered by the sniper knee!

Man I hope you're right, That would mean the botched return edge on part 4 will be covered by the sniper knee!

Type: Authenticprops (AP)

.......The left inner shin is actually a duplicate of the right outer shin........

So in your case Brandon is correct. 1&4, 2&3

Edited by ukswrath

Type: Authenticprops (AP)

.......The left inner shin is actually a duplicate of the right outer shin........

So in your case Brandon is correct. 1&4, 2&3

THANK YOU SO MUCH MASTER TONY!!! Confidence reinstated!

My day is officially made. Now that I know, I'm going to go home and label EVERYTHING because this is seriously the most embarrassing question I've asked so far (aside from "what armor should I get?"). In fact..... I don't think I'll have to now that both parts are trimmed differently. 

Lesson for the day: ALWAYS keep a slight return edge on every piece. It's a heck of a lot easier to take more off than it is to add back on - I'm happy that I dodged a bullet here, not having a return edge on the top of the right shin would drive me absolutely bonkers.

P.S. Tony has an incredible build thread going right now that I should have been following because after revisiting I see that virtually EVERY piece starts out with a return, but not every part ends with one.  

THANK YOU SO MUCH MASTER TONY!!! Confidence reinstated!

My day is officially made. Now that I know, I'm going to go home and label EVERYTHING because this is seriously the most embarrassing question I've asked so far (aside from "what armor should I get?"). In fact..... I don't think I'll have to now that both parts are trimmed differently. 

Lesson for the day: ALWAYS keep a slight return edge on every piece. It's a heck of a lot easier to take more off than it is to add back on - I'm happy that I dodged a bullet here, not having a return edge on the top of the right shin would drive me absolutely bonkers.

P.S. Tony has an incredible build thread going right now that I should have been following because after revisiting I see that virtually EVERY piece starts out with a return, but not every part ends with one.  

Thanks for the Kudos James but thank Brandon, I just followed up his lead.

BTW, there's no rule that says you have to have a return edge, anywhere. It's canon and looks cleaner that's all. 

edit: no return edge anywhere would a bit overkill since the sniper knee requires some, the ears, lol. May I should recant that statement. I think you know what I mean though right?

Keep up the good work.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by ukswrath

EVERYONE that has posted deserves a beer, I really appreciate both of you takin' a look.  :pint1:

Brandon my man, you're from Simi?! I grew up next to Moorpark High, went there for 2 years and then moved up here... I miss SoCal so much. You guys have sales tax though  :P
  • Like 1

EVERYONE that has posted deserves a beer, I really appreciate both of you takin' a look.  :pint1:

Brandon my man, you're from Simi?! I grew up next to Moorpark High, went there for 2 years and then moved up here... I miss SoCal so much. You guys have sales tax though  :P

First motto I learned here: "Troopers helping Troopers!", so no thanks needed.

Yes, my family and I currently reside in Simi, it's our second time in the city and I believe we will be here for quite some time.

Sales tax, property tax, gas tax...bleh too many taxes in California if you ask me, but the wife likes it here. Happy wife, happy life...

• Like 2

Dang Jason I wish I had paid more attention during that series, I've watched them probably 4-5 times over and I'm still learning/noticing new things... It's crazy how simple everything can seem before getting the BBB and then as soon as you have a kit it becomes incredible overwhelming and complicated. 

My secret weapon as of late? Gin and tonic  B)