My Build thread =0

Hi there, 

Its so nice to see another Incinerator taking shape.

Larry

TK21062

Hey Larry,

Do you have photos posted somewhere? I'd love to see what you've done. I'd also love to see some photos after you change your legs

Hey Larry,

Do you have photos posted somewhere? I'd love to see what you've done. I'd also love to see some photos after you change your legs

Hi Johan, 

Here are some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130766414@N04/?

The group ones are at the recent "Return to the Garrison" event where I was inducted recently. I have since been on another troop and its amazing how quickly you notice problems and get to tweaking the armour.

I would highly recommend the Baselayer Underarmour to keep cool as well as a balaclava from a similar material. Also, you may find your rifle heavy after a while, so I fitted a shoulder strap to take some of the weight. I shall be fitting a pair of helmet fans soon and next will be a ROM fx or similar for the voice.

I must admit, I got a lot of attention at the two events so far - which amazed me. I decided on the armour not really knowing about the game or the Expanded Universe in general. It was worth all the time, effort and money.

I will upload new photos of the dirtied boots later today.

Larry

Great pictures! I really like your weathering and scratches on the red paint.

Wow, you carry a blaster and a flamethrower, that has got to be heavy.

Because you troop in London I take it you'll be at celebration 2016. I'm hoping to be able to go.

Hi Johan, 

Here are some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130766414@N04/?

The group ones are at the recent "Return to the Garrison" event where I was inducted recently. I have since been on another troop and its amazing how quickly you notice problems and get to tweaking the armour.

I would highly recommend the Baselayer Underarmour to keep cool as well as a balaclava from a similar material. Also, you may find your rifle heavy after a while, so I fitted a shoulder strap to take some of the weight. I shall be fitting a pair of helmet fans soon and next will be a ROM fx or similar for the voice.

I must admit, I got a lot of attention at the two events so far - which amazed me. I decided on the armour not really knowing about the game or the Expanded Universe in general. It was worth all the time, effort and money.

I will upload new photos of the dirtied boots later today.

Larry

Great pictures! I really like your weathering and scratches on the red paint.

Wow, you carry a blaster and a flamethrower, that has got to be heavy.

Because you troop in London I take it you'll be at celebration 2016. I'm hoping to be able to go.

Gotta be prepared for anything - right?

The Flamethrower was a hoot to build and kids love it.

I wouldn't miss CE2016 for anything - see you there.

The CRL states "A separate kidney/butt plate is not allowed - the kidney and butt plate shall be combined/fused to a single plate/one piece." So originally I used snaps and kept them separate hoping no one would notice. Then as I did the trim I used blur tape to hold the two together.

20150714_161229-1.jpg

The more I thought about it I realized it really wouldn't be too hard to shim them together. So I started with the outside see as I was to dumb to pull the prim off and glue one side at a time.

20150714_163837.jpg

Using a heat gun I removed the middle snaps

20150715_082817-1-1.jpg

I wanted to try using Barge for the middle. It dyed a little more yellow as I had hoped but luckily you can't see that from the outside.

20150715_084530-1.jpg

And good as new. Like they've always been one plate.

20150717_144303.jpg

As a side note, if anyone tries this you need to heat up your shims with the heat gun and press them into place to mold them to the contours before you start gluing.

I found a great tutorial on how to make abs paste and fill the kidney holes that I drill wrong.

http://www.whitearmor.net/fisd/HOWTO:ABSpaste

I may wait a week to try this as its not necessarily for what I'm going for, it's just a small detail that bothers me.

I put a clear coat over everything to try to lock in the weathering and paint. I have two coats on my boots and may do a third.

20150714_172141-1.jpg

This is just if anyone wanted to see what I was using. Hairspray for the charcoal weathering. Matte finish clear coat. Red and dark gray prime.

20150718_110205.jpg

I swear, originally I wasn't going to do this to the Pauldron. I thought it was really cool that we are the only ones alowd to do this but I wasn't going to. However after looking at my photos I decided that keeping it flat and not rapping my shoulder with it makes my upper body look bigger making my legs look smaller. I mean I know I have chicken legs so anything I can do to make my shoulders smaller will help. And it's more in line with the game.

It looks pretty fantastic to me. Two points:

1. The Ammo pouch around the right knee is attached incorrectly. The ends of it should sit lower and it be inclined slightly upwards to the front. Recheck any reference photos.

2. Its just my opinion, but there seem a large gap around the top of your lower arm pieces, at the elbow. Would they benefit from resizing? 

Larry

Thanks for your advice Larry.

From the screen shots it looked like it was sitting high and inclined downward

SWTFU2011-03-1112-29-35-51-1.jpg

SWTFU2011-03-1112-26-06-01-1.jpg

Are looking at ANH or ROTJ reference photos?

As for the lower arm pieces, I was a little unhappy with how big they are. I had a lot of trouble shaping them and they still don't quite look right. I may end up trying to resize them. I wish we could have them come together with Velcro, then you could get a good tight fit around the wrist. As for the gap, I could try wearing the lower are higher and the biceps lower to try to close the gap.

It looks pretty fantastic to me. Two points:

1. The Ammo pouch around the right knee is attached incorrectly. The ends of it should sit lower and it be inclined slightly upwards to the front. Recheck any reference photos.

2. Its just my opinion, but there seem a large gap around the top of your lower arm pieces, at the elbow. Would they benefit from resizing? 

Larry

Thanks for your advice Larry.

From the screen shots it looked like it was sitting high and inclined downward

SWTFU2011-03-1112-29-35-51-1.jpg

SWTFU2011-03-1112-26-06-01-1.jpg

Are looking at ANH or ROTJ reference photos?

As for the lower arm pieces, I was a little unhappy with how big they are. I had a lot of trouble shaping them and they still don't quite look right. I may end up trying to resize them. I wish we could have them come together with Velcro, then you could get a good tight fit around the wrist. As for the gap, I could try wearing the lower are higher and the biceps lower to try to close the gap.

Re the knee ammo pouch. You are right. I hadn't really used those photos as a reference. I relied on my section Armourer as well as the FISD CRL for the Incinerator and, only by downloading the main photo and adjusting the contrast, can you see that the top edge of ammo belt is attached to the lower edge of the calf and inclined either horizontally or downwards a little (I hope that makes sense). So, maybe your armourer could advise as either may be acceptable.

As for the arms, maybe a little taken off would make a big difference visually. Its a mixture of whats "right" and what comfortable. You will need a certain amount of gap between the upper and lower arms, else the will pinch and bruise ) I know - mine did initially!). I took quite a bit off the lower arms at both ends to make it work and as a result can now put on the lower arms over my gloved hand.

Larry

20150717_155424.jpg

I'm going to try Barge to hold the foam in place, because hot glue is not working out.

I contacted the Florida Garrison GML and sent in my 501st application. Now it's a matter of waiting to see what kind of changes need to be made. I'll be joining the Everglades Squad as I live in south south west Florida.

20150717_155424.jpg

I'm going to try Barge to hold the foam in place, because hot glue is not working out.

I contacted the Florida Garrison GML and sent in my 501st application. Now it's a matter of waiting to see what kind of changes need to be made. I'll be joining the Everglades Squad as I live in south south west Florida.

Yay! Good luck.

20150725_192343.jpg

Alright, I got my Voicebooster from TK Products and I've been trying to fit it in my back plate. I tried putting it in the chest plate first but it's just too thick. I ordered the 10w one because it's supposed to be thinner than the 12w. It sounds good but it's still thick. I saw a tutorial somewhere on the best way to install this, I'll have to go dig that up.

I also cut my forearms down, there drying now. I'm looking forward to trying them on to see how they look.

This is interesting to me as I just bought a Disney Stormtrooper Mask and have gutted the electronics from it. So, I am mounting the PCB, batteries, switch and speaker in a small ABS box, with the hope of locating it in my chest plate. If it doesn't fit, I shall have to fit it in the rear, like you - but somehow have the speaker at the front to hear it properly.

I trooped a third time this week and more of my trim dislodged itself. Make sure yours is well secured. I was given a good tip re the belt canister - stick some of the soft side of velcro on the clips where they contact the armour. This will stop any damage.

Have you started making your Plasma rifle yet?

Larry

Have you started making your Plasma rifle yet?

Larry

I have started my plasma rifle, I'm about 75% finished and really happy with what I've got. I'll be starting a thread soon in the weapons locker for it. I'll also post some pictures here.

I trooped a third time this week and more of my trim dislodged itself. Make sure yours is well secured.

I used hot glue to attach my trim. The thought was if I needed to change anything I could just pull off the trim and reapply no problem. So far it's only started coming off on the back plate where it connects to the chest. I've already reapplied once.

What did you use to attach your trim?

I use E6000. It works for me - holds fast but can be prised apart carefully. Cooling or freezing the glued parts can help to separate them (so I am told). I was just a little lazy, only glueing the trim in certain places and then finding out that trooping really does take its toll on the armour. There are always running repairs. 

Looking forward to seeing that rifle!

IMG_20150728_151200.jpg

Its official, I'm in the 501st Legion! I'm so looking forward to my first mission. Though I'm still waiting for my bucket fans to come (which is essential for trooping in Florida). I've also been wideling away on my plasma rifle. I think another week and I should have it done.

TK 42131 reporting for duty

Thanks everybody for congratulating me!

11143382_10207176867322736_1317305577836

This awesome photo was taken at my first troop last weekend at Tampa Bay ComicCon. I hope to be posting photos soon in the field training section, however Photobuckets being a pain and not letting me upload multiple photos at a time from my phone.

• Like 2