Thermal Detonator Assembly AP/TE - How To assemble.

Meh. I guess they work for trooping. And that's the main point sometimes, right? But from an accuracy aspect they're too thick and not wide enough.

Main point for me is that i'm happy with them :)

You can still use this how-to for the build process. It's just the aluminium bars that are't quite right to begin with. But what's available locally may differ.

• Like 1

Meh. I guess they work for trooping. And that's the main point sometimes, right? But from an accuracy aspect they're too thick and not wide enough.

You can still use this how-to for the build process. It's just the aluminium bars that are't quite right to begin with. But what's available locally may differ.

How wide SHOULD they be? That pic Rob put up looks like 1"? I used 25mm, and the tutorial says 1".

How wide SHOULD they be? That pic Rob put up looks like 1"? I used 25mm, and the tutorial says 1".

25 mm isn't a bad estimate. It's our usual recommendation. It's about the same as 1". But looking closer you'll see it's more like 1" & 1/8. In mm that would be 3.175 (1/8 inch) + 25.4 (1 inch) = 28.575 mm

I created this tutorial using the best screws I could find.  Had to order a lot of them.  If Troopermaster can show the correct screw type I'm sure that would be helpful.

I know he uses wood screws with no washer or nut on them.  I like the look of the screws I use, they look very close to the ones on the original.

The width of the strip used is indeed 1/8" less than on the originals, because the scale of the TE/AP tube is also indeed smaller.  For the purpose of scale, this is why I

make the smaller AP tube with smaller strips.   The thickness of the strip is a little thicker for a robust part.

The front screw location on each strip can indeed be less than 1/2" from the front of the strip.  you can put it at 1/4" if you want.

My goal never was to create a tutorial on "prop replica" style T Dets.  My goal has always been to make the closest design with the parts that are in the TE derived kit.

if you want to look at my tutorial as a series of BAD ADVICE, I suggest you look at STEVE GAZA's comment about this tutorial.

I have always felt that some members of the FISD need to turn down the volume on their OCD.

I think I will add to the top of the list in this thread that this is not supposed to be used for anything but a TE derived T Det.

if Steve approved of this before, I personally cannot see why there is a necro post designed to point out what I have already pointed out.

• Like 1

Hmm, similar to the painted boots or 'off the shelf' boots. For 'accuracy', only painted black chelsea type boots would be accepted. Some discrepancies are accepted, some aren't. Oh well.

I didn't read the title too well I guess . Yes, the pics I posted are of a full sized TD , I hadn't realised the AP / TE. Ones were slightly smaller . This tutorial shows how to scale down parts to make an AP/TE /FX look ok . <br>

If you want yo upgrade to a screen accurate TD , reference my photos. ;0)

• Like 1

I didn't read the title too well I guess . Yes, the pics I posted are of a full sized TD , I hadn't realised the AP / TE. Ones were slightly smaller . This tutorial shows how to scale down parts to make an AP/TE /FX look ok . <br>

If you want yo upgrade to a screen accurate TD , reference my photos. ;0)

Excellent advice Rob!  I was glad to see your photos here! keep up the good work...

28mm or 1 1/8" wide strips. The screws are drilled in the wrong places and the screws themselves are wrong. But like Mathias said, they will do for trooping.

Can you help on the screw comparison?  thanks paul!

• 2 months later...

Never mind. I think I didn't think it all through before posting. But there is a significant portion of newbies here telling other newbies how to do things. More often than not, it's not only inaccurate, but sometimes even down right bad things that can have significant consequences further down the line.

Does this suggest that I'm a newbie?  The funny part is that I joined the forum here quite a long time ago... and I built 2 versions of the TK and submitted them on the same day.

way back in 09'

I always have a smile on my face, but you can't see it under the helmet.

Hi bondservnt, not sure about the permissions! I can't see them here embedded and when I click on a pic, it takes me to photobucket where the page doesn't do anything, tried on Chrome, Firefox and IE. Sorry for bothering you with this technical rubbish.

Hi bondservnt, not sure about the permissions! I can't see them here embedded and when I click on a pic, it takes me to photobucket where the page doesn't do anything, tried on Chrome, Firefox and IE. Sorry for bothering you with this technical rubbish.

What device are you viewing on?

Maybe have a look on a PC if you have one?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

In terms of basic assembly for any detonator, I left one of my end caps unglued- my idea was I could put my keys or other small objects in there while trooping.  I have done that exactly once, but the idea was sound :laugh1:.  It would be useful if you had an area where bin storage wasn't optimally secure and you wanted to keep your keys and cash on you.  Though a detonator would be the first thing a kid might steal (I say this because I have stolen TKs detonators while trooping my Jawa so I can attest to their vulnerability).  So that was likely entirely unhelpful.  

Actually helpful note would be putting the soft fuzzy size of white velcro onto the back of the clips so they won't scratch up the kidney plate.  

• Like 1

In terms of basic assembly for any detonator, I left one of my end caps unglued- my idea was I could put my keys or other small objects in there while trooping.  I have done that exactly once, but the idea was sound :laugh1:.  It would be useful if you had an area where bin storage wasn't optimally secure and you wanted to keep your keys and cash on you.  Though a detonator would be the first thing a kid might steal (I say this because I have stolen TKs detonators while trooping my Jawa so I can attest to their vulnerability).  So that was likely entirely unhelpful.  

Actually helpful note would be putting the soft fuzzy size of white velcro onto the back of the clips so they won't scratch up the kidney plate.  

You HAVE STOLEN TK T.D. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...