AM 2.0 Armor Build in Ohio

Lastly being a little shorter in the thighs I'm going to have to do some severe cutting to get the thighs to fit:

IMG_0407_zpsxk4mmscr.jpg

Is it OK to just sand the top after cutting, or is it necessary to bend the ABS back in?? Let me know what you think. Does any one know how to bend it in? Is this the best place to cut for size on thigh? Thread link? Help!! 

Thanks for reading and helping every one, just in case I haven't said anything yet.  :P

It's not required to have a return edge. I'm actually getting rid of mine so I can have that tiny bit of extra room to pull my thighs up a tad. Matter of fact, none of the guys I trooped with this last weekend had thigh return edges either. 

I got my sealing armor in the mail today, I'll cut a little at a time to see where it starts to fit, I the mean time I'll see if there is any good video on the iron, then I'll practice on some scraps to see what I can do, if it works good I'll do a little edge but otherwise I'll keep is smooth if it can pass muster. If I can't find a video maybe I'll make one to post of my experiment!

• 2 weeks later...
Playing with snaps on the chest and back plates.

FullSizeRender_zpsoydodkkk.jpg

Side View, is this about right?? Should I have some more space between the top shoulders?

FullSizeRender-3_zpsyftkghii.jpg

FullSizeRender-2_zps141hey9k.jpg

Trimmed and sanded the shoulder straps.

IMG_0430_zpsqiefdpui.jpg

Boy this is hard with only 2 hands!

Edited by rduda

If you haven't already done so, get the back plate and the kidney strapped together. That way those pieces are fitting correctly so all you have to worry about is the correct way to get it to join the chest plate. You'll probably need to trim some of the shoulder from both parts if they are still touching. Good thing of having AM2.0 is they give you plenty of space so there's more cutting but less need to add plastic. 

• Like 1

It really helps to take off all the return edges you don't need during your build you need to lose all the return at your wrist on your forearms . Also your drop boxes should be just touching or just a couple millimeters below your belt they look like they're hanging long . And as stated before get all your connections between back chest done now before you trim anything across the shoulders . And I'm a cat guy , those little guys are cute. Keep up the good work .

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help, I need it... The boxes off the belt are low, I trimmed the belt extra and left the boxes hanging, that's on the todo list. I'll start the snaps next for connecting the kidney plates and butt, what is the proper distance or space for between the shoulder (chest and back plate)? How do you determine how much to cut?

I don't think there's a determined spacing requirment, it's more so making it fit you properly then trimming what's not necessary. I've seen guys with long shoulder elastic and some with very small amount. Don't matter really as long as the chest and back are fitting properly and for TKs, the abs shoulder bridges cover them up all the way. 

• 2 weeks later...
Look! Something came in the mail today!!

IMG_0631_zpsz5x7tvhc.jpg

What could it be?

YEAAA!!! MY TK Boots are in!

IMG_0634_zps08buvb8i.jpg

Fits Great and Look more Awesome than I thought they would be, Great Product!!!

IMG_0636_zpsbbr0qfnj.jpg

One more Step Closer!!

Imperial note: Little Wookie Stuffed Bears make great companions for your force sensitive cats.

IMG_0510_zpstj7kj2kh.jpg

Got the curage to do some major cuts this weekend, I got short fat legs and and had to take a  good chunk off the thigh armor.

IMG_0523_zpsc9rzcgvi.jpg

First cut was a little short, need another 1/4"

IMG_0524_zpsixpkcjhr.jpg

Used a drummel and it was fast and easy, the rough edges were just melted bits from the heat of the drill and popped off and sanded nice and clean, and I think I took off the right amount all the way around, those photos to come later, stay tuned!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to add some shims onto the side of the kidney plates, so I have about an inch of glued plate now drying underneath both sides of the kidney plates leaving about two 2 1/2 inches on both sides extended. Though sometime soon I hope to remove the shims should I attach the snaps the same way I would a final set of armor with in regulations or with the shims can I be a little bit simpler? And fix once I take the shims off???

Here are my shims on the Kidney plate, Seems like I'll need to trim them down some, but at least there on now. Do you think this will hold or do you think I should make an overlap on the inside?

IMG_1145_zpspykxnohu.jpg

Made 14 snaps, only messed up 2 of them, not a bad margin of error so far.

FullSizeRender_zpsqbmmll8s.jpg

Only enough claps to glue on 2 snaps at a time…

IMG_1144_zpswxwujehu.jpg

Mean-while, trooper cat Boo isn't happy to give up the chair so I can load my entry into the forums, don't worry he's not hissing, just yeowning, I bore him.

IMG_1148_zpsspwkilto.jpg

For the shims you want a piece acting as the extention flush with the end of the kidney and a insider back used to connect the two parts. Then you fill in the seam with ABS paste, sand, and smooth. 

Where can you get ABS past?

• 2 months later...

Woo, been a long summer, but with the pass of the pro football hall of fame game fall is here!!! Well soon. And I've added a lot of snaps and cuts to berthed summer (told yea this would've a long build). But I finally ordered the last of my supplies! Within about 2 to 3 days I got my latest TrooperBay order, new world record for the post office California to Ohio, I was surprised to say the least! Neck seal, white rubber hand guards, and a few conector type parts blue paint holster and head sock, I'm so happy all that's left is attaching the large parts and I'll be ready to troop this October!!!! More than enough time for Rouge One.

Edited by rduda
  • Like 1

Where can you get ABS past?

Hi, You will have to make the ABS paste yourself. Take some offcuts of your abs that youve trimmed off your kit, and put in a jar, then add a fair few drops of acetone. It will melt the ABS into a paste.

Marc

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

ABS Paste, no real formula, so I took a handful of ABS strips and cut them into tiny pieces and put them in a glass jar with 2 or 3 teaspoons of Acetone (which I guess is a type of paint thinner). Waited about hour and mixed a little. Came out nice and white still, some chunks but I work through that… here are my shims on kidney plates not sanded yet, want the plastic to dry good. Thanks CTID for the help!

Ab01_zpsoin3xc7n.jpg

Ab02_zpscyvnmqz6.jpg

I cut to manny teeth out in the beginning so now the paste has it's second job.

Teeth_zpsfpwdapov.jpg

Holster went together nice and easy, but I noticed how much weight the Blaster is tugging at your belt… now I know why I see most trooper carrying there blaster.

Holster_zpstnl7avqd.jpg

Edited by rduda
  • Like 1

ABS Paste, no real formula, so I took a handful of ABS strips and cut them into tiny pieces and put them in a glass jar with 2 or 3 teaspoons of Acetone (which I guess is a type of paint thinner). Waited about hour and mixed a little. Came out nice and white still, some chunks but I work through that… here are my shims on kidney plates not sanded yet, want the plastic to dry good. Thanks CTID for the help!

Ab01_zpsoin3xc7n.jpg

Ab02_zpscyvnmqz6.jpg

I cut to manny teeth out in the beginning so now the paste has it's second job.

Teeth_zpsfpwdapov.jpg

Holster went together nice and easy, but I noticed how much weight the Blaster is tugging at your belt… now I know why I see most trooper carrying there blaster.

Holster_zpstnl7avqd.jpg

Looking good!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk