To Paint or not Paint?

Raylen

There's a lot of bondo work for seams on a number of parts. I was wondering...

1) Has anyone has painted JUST the bondo-ed parts versus every armor piece? (For example, paint the thermal det but not kidney plate). If so, how well does it match up?

2) What paint did you use? I was going to use Krylon Fusion

3) Clear coat???

4) Has anyone had issues with the paint chipping? This was why I thought maybe painted only the necessary parts might be best.

You will need to paint otherwise the shades of white will not match. (Who knew white had various shades??) The paint you will need to use so your armor matches the helmet is Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x UltraCover Paint+Primer in gloss white. Or at least, that's what the alphas were told to use so the ABS will match the helmet. 

------------

So far, paint chipping isn't an issue. Thoughts seem to vary on clear coating. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I would recommend using ABS paste.Basically it mixing pieces of ABS with acetone. Here's link on how to make it http://www.whitearmor.net/fisd/HOWTO:ABSpaste

Its a lot of work but totally worth it and no painting needed.....Once its dry, you can sand it down. Here's a pic on my kidney/abs where I had to cover up the seam for the piece I had to add for the gap I had to add....

7ESnZbo.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

To echo Shana and Wyatt, unlike most OT TKs where the base material is shiny ABS, the base material forthe ANOVOS helmet is not shiny ABS. Therefore, in order to match the helmet, the rest of the body needs to be painted to at least match the helmet. In nearly all the paint samples I saw you will have a color mismatch if you paint only the seamless "bondo" areas. While ABS slurry will provide a close color match to your ABS (If you are using the trimmings from your TFA kit) this still will not match the coloring of the helmet. As a helpful note: if you are not using the trimmings from your kit there is a sizeable liklihood that your "whites" will not match since ABS discolors over time, or may have a different batch of white ABS.

With regard to leaving the suit as ABS without paint, it is questionable whether the TFA TK in the movies will be as glossy as our current OT TKs. I realize that's another kettle of issues (screen color & sheen vs in-person exhibit color & sheen) however I think it's worth being aware. Of course, the minutia of a TFA TK as ultra-glossy, glossy, semi-glossy and so on might be best reserved for those wishing to have their kits with as much accuracy as possible. I would however, caution against an assumption that the difference in gloss and color shade by having some parts painted and other not, would be acceptable within the minmal standards.

I understand the choice to color match the entirety of the suit (armour + helmet). Hopefully, this doesn't produce different overal shades of white when comparing TFA TKs from different areas of the world where some paint is accesible and others are not. Hopefully, the ANOVOS helmet has been properly QA'd to insure minimal color variation, but I've read some of the issues that the helmet has had, and I would not be surprised if we're unable to color match across the alpha/beta shipments. I don't mean to "pick on" ANOVOS, but I imagine that soon we'll have other fan sculpts, which may be made of other materials and will not have an issue with the paint match. For example, if the helmet is made of ABS, which happens to color match to the suit, then we're moreso discussing the ultra/semi gloss aspect for that TFA TK suit. Although, attempts to color/gloss match to our brother/sister garrisons across the world would still be on point, and may require painting even though the suit itself would match.

Lastly, there was an inquiry about chipping. I've read diverse opinions on adding gloss veneer, or having a professional autobody paint shop apply a type of white paint that will withstand usual chipping. See above about glossy-ness, however another factor to consider could be the stability of the color. Will adding a veneer to prevent chipping "yellow" faster? If you simply paint, from what I've heard from the OT TKs that used to paint their suits, yes it will chip. This will mean an eventual choice between a "weathered" look or re-painting for a "clean" look. I've heard from the TFA TKs that have done Autobody paint shp work that the paint has resisted cautious wear and scuffs.

I realize this is a lot of info, but the decision to paint is an investment in your time to sand properly, prime and paint properly, or the literal financial investment to have a professional paint shop take care of the painting.  Good luck and best wishes for your build! -Krista :atat:

Hi Wyatt, Could you clarify your thoughts on the ANOVOS helmet? I know a few alphas some had variation (paint was not of the same gloss/sheen as others), which were the outliers not the norm, and those were rectified after addressing it with ANOVOS at Celebration. For my own helmet, I had a defect that was quickly addressed. It would be helpful to understand your point of view in dismissing the paint for all helmets, if that's your view. I may have misunderstood. 

Best, -Krista  :atat:

Thanks for all the input. If not difficult, it may be best to paint the helmet as well to ensure matching. I have NEVER had good experience with Rustoleum so I will be staying far far away. Always seems runny and takes about 5 years for even a thin coat to lose tackiness. Always had good luck with Krylon.

Hi Wyatt, Could you clarify your thoughts on the ANOVOS helmet? I know a few alphas some had variation (paint was not of the same gloss/sheen as others), which were the outliers not the norm, and those were rectified after addressing it with ANOVOS at Celebration. For my own helmet, I had a defect that was quickly addressed. It would be helpful to understand your point of view in dismissing the paint for all helmets, if that's your view. I may have misunderstood. 

Best, -Krista  :atat:

I held about a dozen ANOVOS helmets while I was at Celebration. The gel coat was not the best finish. Some were already starting to crack and chip. Painting fiberglass is a nightmare in itself, so I guess painting the armor to match would be the easiest rout. Personally, I would scuff it, wipe it down with vinegar, spray it with Kilz Lacquer Primer, wet-sand and repaint with the same paint I use on the body. Good luck and please share your results of whatever you decide to go with.

Awesome! Wyatt, thanks so much for taking the time to clarify. Your insights are helpful to glean different methods to get a consistant finish with armour/helmet. We're thinking of re-painting the entire suit, and with your insights we'll take a second look at the helmet to see how the finish is faring since April.

If you don't mind answering, how did you deal with the greeblies on the helmet? I don't think we'll want to remove them to get the sanding around the greeblies, but I suppose there are a variety of ways to deal with the affixed greeblies. We'll certainly share results- it's quite helpful to learn amoung each other what works well and what doesn't.

Thanks again for your time; it's appreciated!

-krista :atat:

Blue masking tape for anything you want to mask. Frog Tape is the best. I haven't painted the TFA helmet (yet) but I've painted other resin helmets and lots of resin parts. 

Too bad these helmets were not mold injected, like the MR., which makes filling, sanding and painting so much easier.

Good luck and have fun.