Vertex TFA TK build thread (88188)

The boxes have arrived! As others I'm starting with the usual box arrival pic. Need to take everything out and lay it on the floor and make sure everything is there and undamaged.

246B41DB-86B7-4E83-B123-522F25825F8D_zps

3AFAFF45-A54F-4D41-A68D-F0EAFD3308BD_zps

Got a confirm from the garrison that I'm the first TFA in Japan. :)

Edited by Vertex
  • Like 2

Not much progress thus far. Opted to start with something simple as the biceps as a confidence builder. Mark the lines and then got my trusty Dremel. I have the extension which comes in handy as I do get tired of carry the full weight of the Dremel - particularly during long cutting / sanding sessions. plus I feel I can be more accurate.

th_BF35FBDB-2A93-40E5-B8BD-A715DBCF1ECC_

6532C98E-4E33-4D87-AC5C-AD64B3F09C59_zps

Edited by Vertex

Not going to bloat this thread with the usual pics of armor being cut. Still have the upper body to go. Then I'll move on to sanding and glue.

I did nick my finger so I guess its now official now that blood has been drawn! :P

I was going to work on my gaskets but not sure how to proceed as I don't have the instructions. Im assuming that the assembly is identical to Wyatt's (4205) gaskets.

Can anyone confirm that's the case?

Lots of cutting and sanding done. At this point all I have left is the front/back armor and boxes. I've also started gluing the leg and arm armor. As mentioned in another thread I'm planning on using a Devcon product as filler for larger gaps or stress areas. For small non stress gaps Im going to try the Tamiya product pictured below.

E3CC269B-99AD-4999-A1C1-141C54563EF2_zps

Edited by Vertex

Intially I'm going to say yes but let me get back to you on that as this is my first attempt with this product. Instructions say 60 min cure time but going to let it go overnight and then put it to the test.

I do think that it will do just fine for smaller / non stress areas.

• Like 1

Posted this issue on a seperate thread but copying it hear as this could affect my build.

So I've taped up the forearms (parts 7/8 A-B-C) to see how they would fit and I can see why these get put under a lot of stress when being put on. I have quite large hands and to be honest I don't think once these are glue together I'll be able to put them on so I'm looking at possible alternatives.

I currently have two Ideas..

The first would be to have a wider backing strip on one or both butt joints of parts A and B. This would make for a larger space for the hand to go through at the wrist end. Of course the would increase the overall circumference of the forearm.

The second would be to work in some sort of velcro closure somewhat similar to what you see with shins. Placed along part C. Glued on the outer side of the forearm and velcro on the inner side.

Would like to hear what others may think of my ideas and if anyone else ran into the issues with big hands and how they got around it.

forearms_velcro_zpsuxz6fsgh.jpg

I dont have an Anovos tfa suit, so I hope you can permit me to post my 02 cents.......

Placing velcro is a good idea and more convenient to put on or remove. I would suggest dry mounting the velcro to check gaps or if the velcro will show.

My fiberglass tk ab plate has velcro and we used the 'industrial' strength kind which I presumed is thicker than the regular. We created a flange that would conform to the depth of the velcro which was about 3/8" so the exterior look is flushed. Wearing it at first is ok, but after prolonged use you get to feel that 3/8" depth digging into your sides.

With your tfa forearm, you might need to glue a new flange where the other side of the velcro would mount to - this would naturally make your forearms smaller inside.  This is of course when you close your forearm it would sit flush to the side and no velcro will be seen. But if you have large arms, it might not work.

Mardon (MLC)

• 4 weeks later...

Bought it earlier this year from the manufacturer with other intentions but figured it would work well for this. I'm pretty sure its 1000 cordura, it was about 35-40 bucks. Let me do some digging and I'll find you a link.

Edited by Vertex

• 2 weeks later...

Bought it earlier this year from the manufacturer with other intentions but figured it would work well for this. I'm pretty sure its 1000 cordura, it was about 35-40 bucks. Let me do some digging and I'll find you a link.

Yes, link please, this is sweet!