Return Edges

Evening All

As one of those who is about to begin a build, I have my kit but will not be starting till the end of July.

I was looking for a guide to which pieces have return edges ?, I plan on building to Centurion standard.

I know I saw something somewhere on this site, but I cannot find it.

Thanks in advance.

Art

No return edge at the wrist or ankles. All other return edges are trimmed (or not) for comfort of the wearer. Look at pictures in the Centurion request thread for some great references.

• Like 2

All return edges average 1/4 inch(6 mm) but can be up to but not much more than 3/8 inch (9 ish mm)

Chest: bottom edge against ab. Sides but taper down as you get closer to shoulders. Minimal to none around neck.

Back: bottom against kidney. Sides but taper down as you get closer to shoulders. Minimal around neck.

Kidney: top, bottom and slight in kidney notch. None on sides.

Butt: all sides

Ab: top under chest, lesser return edge around cod area. None on sides

Shoulders: none on edge against chest. Return edge against arm.

Biceps: minimal to none. Some leave return edge some remove it all together.

Forearms: none at wrist opening even up into the square indent ridge. Minimal to none at elbow side. Your choice

Thighs: return edge on tops and bottom.

Shins: return edge on top. None against boots.

• Like 17

Many thanks.

Even though I will not be starting my build (AM 2.0) till after San Diego Comic Con, I could not resist trying to size a few pieces, whilst I won't have to shim my kidney/ab (hoorah!)I think my legs and forearms will need a bit of trimming for comfort.

If you see an annoying Brit at Comic Con asking all the TK's questions about there armour and there builds, that will be me :)

Thanks Again

Art

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is just what I have been searching for!  Now I know what to leave and what to remove!

Thanks, Steve for putting it all in one spot!  :duim:

This info really should be pinned in the Assembly section!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have no return edge any more on my thigh tops. I had to remove 6 inches from the length of the thigh armor all around in order to make it fit my thighs. (Shorter legs than the armor allowed for.) Will that disqualify me?

I have no return edge any more on my thigh tops. I had to remove 6 inches from the length of the thigh armor all around in order to make it fit my thighs. (Shorter legs than the armor allowed for.) Will that disqualify me?

When it's all said and done, what really matters most is if your happy with your armor or not. And the reality of it is you must trim whatever you have to to make it fit YOU and also be comfortable to wear. Armor that doesn't fit is going to be a nightmare to wear for hours while trooping. Plus if it doesn't really fit, your not going to be able to move and be walking around like a robot.

I had the similar concerns when I first started building my armor as you do. The garrison armorer here told me basically what I just told you and he is correct. It's YOUR armor, YOU bought it, YOU have to wear it and YOU need to be happy with it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hate to necro, but I had a question regarding return edges in conjunction with shimming and mobility cuts for Centurion. Would i have to make false returns to fit the criteria: Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.

2SE8gYZ.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk

4 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Hate to necro, but I had a question regarding return edges in conjunction with shimming and mobility cuts for Centurion. Would i have to make false returns to fit the criteria: Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.

The raised ridges mentioned are the ones on the bottom, James (blue arrow).  I wouldn't suggest the angle you have shown in red, as the points it would create (yellow arrow) could potentially poke into the back of your leg.  If you need mobility cuts, I would go with something close to the blue line, but they are not a requirement for Centurion.

azT1gwy.jpg       ypz2U25.jpg?1  8d5xESW.jpg?1

• Like 2