Ukswrath's AM 1.0 build

ukswrath

Tony! I'm nearly complete thanks to YOU! Just one thing I saw that one of the pics you touched on and it showed straps that go from the thighs to the and armor to hold them up or in place. Do you have any tips on how best to make that happen? Thanks!

Hey Derek, thanks for the kudos brother. You can suspend your thighs a few different ways.

1. Take 2" or 3" wide Velcro and sew a loop at one end for a waist belt. On the other sew on some Velcro, then add Velcro to the inner thighs. There you have an adjustable suspension system that's supported by your waist.

2. Take 2" or 3" wide Velcro and sew on some Velcro on both ends. One side connects behind your Ab the other to the thighs. Again, adjustable suspension system.

3. Glue, or add snaps to each end of 1" nylon webbing (length is up to the wearer). Then glue webbing or snap mounts to the thighs and Ab. Split the webbing somewhere in the middle/upper and add an 1" adjustable buckle for dis assembly and adjustment.

4. Buy an already completed suspension system that's not only used for the things but for the torso as well.

Hope this helps  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, TK-42134 said:

This is an awesome build thread, as usual Tony. I will be receiving my AM 4.5 on Monday. I cant wait to get started. 

Thanks Mark, looking forward to your build :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, BigCara said:

awesome build thread, been a great help. What did you use to secure holster to belt, chicago screws? Can you use rivets? 

While we prefer actual rivets (as seen onscreen) Chicago screws or even snaps are acceptable.

10 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

While we prefer actual rivets (as seen onscreen) Chicago screws or even snaps are acceptable.

Thanks, I was planning to use normal rivets, as have run out of small Chicago screws.

1 hour ago, BigCara said:

awesome build thread, been a great help. What did you use to secure holster to belt, chicago screws? Can you use rivets? 

Thanks, glad it helped. THT :jc_doublethumbup:

1 hour ago, BigCara said:

Thanks, I was planning to use normal rivets, as have run out of small Chicago screws.

What joseph said :laugh1:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Repeating everyone’s kudos, amazing build thread that’s been extremely helpful to a newbie TK candidate trying to achieve Level 1 approval.

I purchased a ready-to-wear Stormtrooper Hero kit from Shepperton Design Studios, Andrew Ainsworth, in the UK.

Turns out this kit misses the 501st Legion CRL specs in quite a few places. (interesting considering SDS finalized & produced the original Stormtrooper kit back in 1977 for George Lucas)

As I’m making  modifications to complete my initial Level 1 certification review, I’m trying to conform to Level 3, Centurion specs.
A couple configuration questions;

1) It appears the helmet ear bars on the Hero vs. Stunt are 3 vs.4 bars & 2 vs. 3 screws.  My SDS Hero helmet has the correct screw configuration but has 4 ear bars. Do you know where I could source 3-ear bar ear pieces?

2) The SDS ammo belt came as an ABS belt. Following your TK build thread, I’ve fabricated a cloth belt with properly mounted accessory boxes. I’d like to confirm the holster mount for a Hero spec uses 2 fasteners per mount strap (4 total) vs. 1 per strap (2 total) for a Stunt configuration. I plan to use 8mm rivets per your personal preference. :-)

3) The SDS thigh ammo belt is rounded on both top and bottom of the strap extensions and was attached with screws & nuts painted white. My question, is there a minimum length spec for the strap extensions?  They’re presently 93mm. If I cut them off to achieve the square top & round bottom, that will make them 65mm long. (368mm - 28mm - 28mm = 312mm)

3) The knee plate on the left greave was also held on with screws. I’ve successfully filled all the holes using your ABS putty instructions and will glue it on and align it properly per the CRL.

4) All the arm & leg pieces front seams are butt & cover strip but are overlap on the back. I presume this will not meet L3 approval. I’m a pretty skinny guy so I think there’s enough room inside all 8 pieces to cut off the overlap areas and replace with the butt & cover strip configuration, following your build thread.

Oh, all of your helmet electronics have worked out perfectly.

Cheers, Greg (pending approval TK 27001)

5 hours ago, Oldracer said:

Repeating everyone’s kudos, amazing build thread that’s been extremely helpful to a newbie TK candidate trying to achieve Level 1 approval.

I purchased a ready-to-wear Stormtrooper Hero kit from Shepperton Design Studios, Andrew Ainsworth, in the UK.

Turns out this kit misses the 501st Legion CRL specs in quite a few places. (interesting considering SDS finalized & produced the original Stormtrooper kit back in 1977 for George Lucas)

As I’m making  modifications to complete my initial Level 1 certification review, I’m trying to conform to Level 3, Centurion specs.

1) It appears the helmet ear bars on the Hero vs. Stunt are 3 vs.4 bars & 2 vs. 3 screws.  My SDS Hero helmet has the correct screw configuration but has 4 ear bars. Do you know where I could source 3-ear bar ear pieces?

2) The SDS ammo belt came as an ABS belt. Following your TK build thread, I’ve fabricated a cloth belt with properly mounted accessory boxes. I’d like to confirm the holster mount for a Hero spec uses 2 fasteners per mount strap (4 total) vs. 1 per strap (2 total) for a Stunt configuration. I plan to use 8mm rivets per your personal preference. :-)

3) The SDS thigh ammo belt is rounded on both top and bottom of the strap extensions and was attached with screws & nuts painted white. My question, is there a minimum length spec for the strap extensions?  They’re presently 93mm. If I cut them off to achieve the square top & round bottom, that will make them 65mm long. (368mm - 28mm - 28mm = 312mm)

3) The knee plate on the left greave was also held on with screws. I’ve successfully filled all the holes using your ABS putty instructions and will glue it on and align it properly per the CRL.

4) All the arm & leg pieces front seams are butt & cover strip but are overlap on the back. I presume this will not meet L3 approval. I’m a pretty skinny guy so I think there’s enough room inside all 8 pieces to cut off the overlap areas and replace with the butt & cover strip configuration, following your build thread.

1: The issue with changing your ears is finding some from a maker with the right shade of white, we see very different shades from one maker to the next, some also look cream when compared, depends also what they are supplied.

TM (troopermaster) does a Hero kit so you may be able to contact him. Note you can use 4 bumps for basic approval The “ear” bars may have three or four bumps

2: 2 attachments per strap

bl96jhU.png

wAuLn8T.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400026460.318312.jpg

3: Some request an untrimmed thigh ammo belt from SDS, some purchase from another maker. As you can see by the references the thigh ammo belt wraps all the way around to both corners of the thigh. I think you will find it too short if you trim both the rounded areas off.

nlwDx7l.jpg?1

4: No they will not meet L3 approval. Your GML may allow for basic approval you would need to check

• Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

This is @Helotech's SDS upgrade thread you may find it helpful 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:26 AM, Oldracer said:

Oh, all of your helmet electronics have worked out perfectly.

Cheers, Greg (pending approval TK 27001)

Glad the build thread has helped, and you like the electronic goodies :jc_doublethumbup:. Thanks for the support.

On 9/7/2022 at 2:17 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

1: The issue with changing your ears is finding some from a maker with the right shade of white, we see very different shades from one maker to the next, some also look cream when compared, depends also what they are supplied.

TM (troopermaster) does a Hero kit so you may be able to contact him. Note you can use 4 bumps for basic approval The “ear” bars may have three or four bumps

2: 2 attachments per strap

bl96jhU.png

wAuLn8T.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400026460.318312.jpg

3: Some request an untrimmed thigh ammo belt from SDS, some purchase from another maker. As you can see by the references the thigh ammo belt wraps all the way around to both corners of the thigh. I think you will find it too short if you trim both the rounded areas off.

nlwDx7l.jpg?1

4: No they will not meet L3 approval. Your GML may allow for basic approval you would need to check

• Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

This is @Helotech's SDS upgrade thread you may find it helpful 

Glen you are an extremely valuable asset to this detachment. 

• Like 3