Ukswrath's AM 1.0 build

ukswrath

Whew! All that measuring made me dizzy!!!

Another great TK comes to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me about it, pictures, editing pictures, keeping up with this tutorial :blink: 

It was fun yet challenging with all the upgrades.  

Nice work Tony! Lots of solid pointers in this build.

Thank you

Fantastic job, Trooper Dad! Ok, now let's get to the electronic portions for the bucket :)

Thanks son. New electronics on the way.

Do you have any pictures of the back of the belt to show how close the snaps are to the top edge? When I placed my belt 1/4" below the abb button box it placed the snaps really close to the top like 1 cm. But your pictures almost make them look centered.

And does it matter how thick the drop boxes are? I saw someone in some post showing off that theirs were only 10 mm think.

Do you have any pictures of the back of the belt to show how close the snaps are to the top edge? When I placed my belt 1/4" below the abb button box it placed the snaps really close to the top like 1 cm. But your pictures almost make them look centered.

And does it matter how thick the drop boxes are? I saw someone in some post showing off that theirs were only 10 mm think.

Here ya go...

EDIT: FYI Double and triple check your ammo and cloth belt measurements in relation to the ab buttons. The AM belt runs a bit on the wide and will cover your lower buttons if not offset. 

IMG_1515.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1523.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Ok I see the snap on the wearer's left is a little higher due to the curve. At least I'm not crazy on that part. I took some pictures of my dilemma and put them on my build thread. (So not to junk up yours with pictures of stuff made wrong :P)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29910-seantx-am-20-stunt/page-2#entry420251

Where did you find your heavy duty snaps for the butt snaps and the side? Well all of yours are the same. But the Dritz ones I have access to don't have that little lip that makes them flush with the armor.

Go to the beginning of the thread. Everything you need is there.  :duim:

• 2 weeks later...

edit: to be clear, the cover strip corners will be chamfered, just not at the cannon level angles. for the sake of canon specifications germain's is correct regarding what cover strips should look like.

what is the angle on this? i'm not quite sure how much i should be taking off.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Edited by LoveMonkey

edit: to be clear, the cover strip corners will be chamfered, just not at the cannon level angles. for the sake of canon specifications germain's is correct regarding what cover strips should look like.

what is the angle on this? i'm not quite sure how much i should be taking off.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Here's some reference pics you cab draw your own conclusion regarding cover chamfer angles.

gallery_12157_59_6050.jpggallery_12157_59_32648.jpggallery_12157_59_29423.jpg

Tony, This is a great thread and I have it set aside along with your TFA build as my main tutorials. If you have the time can you explain how you did the fitment? That stands out as one of the most important steps (for obvious reasons) and I want to make sure I don't mess that up. I'm a firm believer in putting in the time before hand to make my armor the best it can be so I would like to understand this process better. Thanks very much for your time!

Tony, This is a great thread and I have it set aside along with your TFA build as my main tutorials. If you have the time can you explain how you did the fitment? That stands out as one of the most important steps (for obvious reasons) and I want to make sure I don't mess that up. I'm a firm believer in putting in the time before hand to make my armor the best it can be so I would like to understand this process better. Thanks very much for your time!

Hey Peter, first off a big Thank you for the kudos brother.

Regarding the fitment. Your front armor cover strips are primary. What I mean is they are most seen and need to be as accurate as possible. To achieve this, the measurement of the armor return edges at the armor half joints should be approximately 1mm wider on each side of the cover strip itself, 17mm total for the arms and 22mm for the legs. NOTE: Front cover strip widths are 15mm for the arms, 20mm for the legs. Rear cover strip widths are the same except for the rear calf which is 25mm.

Most armor is pretty close to where you want to be without cutting or adding material however, everyone is different. A good rule of thumb is if you don't have to cut or add, then don't. 

The return edges at the front armor joints should be cut first. Once cut perform a fit test using painters tape to keep the front sections together. Put on your under suit. If measuring your thigh for example install the thigh armor and measure the rear seam overlap, or gap.

If you have an excessive over lap you'll want to remove a even amount of material from both sides but leaving approximately 1" extra for leg breathing room. If you have to add, then add accordingly staying true to the measurements mentioned. 

Regarding the arm armor sections. Most armor in these areas can only be cut so much before it doesn't look correct and is almost impossible to assemble. When in doubt, ask before cutting.

As for height fitment, depending on your height you may have trim certain areas so the armor looks anatomically correct. 

Hope this helps

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Well I can honestly say that I am "a little short for a stormtrooper" as I'm only about 5'8". I'm still struggling with what is defined as the "return edge". I thought that was the part of the armor that "folds over" slightly on the top and bottom of the armor so that there is a slight angle rather than a sharp edge. I could see in the build thread where you were adding an additional 1mm to your cover strips so I think I understand that it's just the "where" do I measure from that's tripping me up. I wish I still lived in Concord I'd grab a BART and stop by and see just how you go from measurement to cut. I'm getting confident in the build techniques it's the fitment that I'm struggling with. Garbage in, garbage out as they say so I know my measurements and cuts have to be perfect. Just want to say thanks for taking the time to answer I really appreciate it! Have a great weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what a wonderful post! Definitely bookmarking this as my go-to as I get started.

A quick question about gluing. You mention cleaning off the excess glue that squirts out from under the cover strips. Is there a technique to that, or should I just grab some of it and pull? I thought about using an x-acto knife with a light touch to loosen it first, but I wouldn't want to scrape up the plastic!

Thanks,

Bill

Wow, what a wonderful post! Definitely bookmarking this as my go-to as I get started.

A quick question about gluing. You mention cleaning off the excess glue that squirts out from under the cover strips. Is there a technique to that, or should I just grab some of it and pull? I thought about using an x-acto knife with a light touch to loosen it first, but I wouldn't want to scrape up the plastic!

Thanks,

Bill

Excess glue. Just use a pies of scrap to get one end started then peel from there. Thanks for the Kudos Bill  :)