Ukswrath's AM 1.0 build

ukswrath

Day 4

2h. Calves cont.... Left calf rear cover strip install.

Measure the left calf section from just below the return edge just above the lower return edge.

Cut rear cover strip length, in my case 322mm and width 25mm.

Apply glue and install cover strip from just below the upper return edge to just above the lower return edge.

IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0332.jpgIMG_0333.jpg

7. Thighs

Staring with the front right & left inner thighs, right & left outer thighs. This procedure applies to all four front thigh sections.

Locate return edge. Mark cut line 10mm from return edge. 

IMG_0155.jpg

Cut and remove extra material. 

IMG_0156.jpg

7a. Right & left rear inner thighs.

From the fitment measurements we will be marking the thigh at the section where the 45% inner thigh return edge meets the horizontal return edge, approximately 45mm the area marked starting point.

NOTE: This measurement also leaves 10mm for the outer cover strip.

IMG_0166a.jpg

Cut and remove material.

IMG_0163.jpg

7b. Right & left rear outer thighs. 

From the fitment measurements we will be marking the thigh approximately 45mm in from the starting point. 

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

After cutting

IMG_0164.jpg

Once all the cut have been completed this is what you should be left with.

IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0168.jpgIMG_0167.jpg

7c. Install front thigh inner cover strips.

Using removed material, cut inner cover strips 20mm in width. Takig advantage of the AM design I was again able to use the natural contour of the cover strip material on the entire length of the inner thigh, approximately 410mm.

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Add glue to inner cover strip.

IMG_0271.jpg

Install inner cover strips on both left and right front. Secure with clamps at the end and earth magnets in between.

IMG_0272.jpgIMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

7d. Install front thigh outer cover strips. Reminder: Use outer cover strip material that came with your kit.

After removing all excess glue, prepare thighs for outer cover strip installation.

IMG_0326.jpg

7e. Measure and cut cover strips. In my case the length will be 400mm and the width of 20mm.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Bevel all edged and chamfer all corners of the cover strips. 

Apply glue.

IMG_0321.jpg

7f. Install cover strips. Secure strips with a clamp on each end and earth magnets in between. 

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Let dry.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

7g. Install thigh rear cover strips.

Cut rear inner cover strip from extra material. In my case the length measured approximately 295mm. The width was cut to 20mm, which is similar to the outer cover strip.

IMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

Taper the top of the cover strip to match the angle of the inner thigh.

IMG_0337.jpg

Add painters tape to help thigh sections stay together and aligned during cover strip installation and gluing process. 

IMG_0345.jpg

Apply glue to cover strips

IMG_0344.jpg

Install cover strips

IMG_0340.jpgIMG_0341.jpgIMG_0346.jpg

Let dry.

Edited by ukswrath

8. Chest & Shoulders

NOTE: After the AM chest, shoulders and back plates were completed it was requested we shoot for Centurion approval. AM 1.0 back plate does not meet Centurion standards so had to be replaced. At this time we also decided to the replace the large AM chest plate instead of trim it. The upper AM sections (chest, back and covers) were replaced with ATA. This update can be found on page 5.  

Starting with the shoulder strap cover strips,

Remove excess material leaving approximately 3mm from the edge of the bumps and 2cm from the end of the strip to the top of the first bump. 

IMG_0242.jpg

Before...

IMG_0239.jpg

Bevel all edges.

After....

IMG_0243.jpg

8a. Install mounting supports. 

As seen in some other builds adding support braces to the underside of the cover strip assists in the mounting process and helps to better secure the covers to the chest plate.

First measure the size needed, approximately 38mm in length and 5mm in width.

IMG_0244.jpgIMG_0245.jpg

Cut supports from extra cover strip material. Glue in place and let dry for 24 hours.

IMG_0246.jpgIMG_0247.jpg

8b. Installing shoulder covers. 

The AM chest plate has a huge contour in the armor where the cover strips are mounted. 

IMG_0283.jpg

There's no way to glue the covers in one shot so it will be done in stages.

First stage..

Glue the covers on the edge closest to the neck. NOTE: This location was selected because it has more surface area. I elected to glue it there first giving the covers a better chance bond with the chest plate. I'm also hopefully that by bonding the bulk of the cover first it will allow the second stage to bond correctly and effectively also.

Let's get started, apply glue to one side of covers. The side that will be closest to the neck obviously  :)

IMG_0288.jpg

Install covers on chest plate and check, and recheck cover angles ensuring they align with back plate.

IMG_0289b.jpgIMG_0290.jpgIMG_0292.jpg

Let dry for 48+ hours.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

8c. Shoulders, round two.

Remove clamps and asses the next step. YIKES! This aught to be fun  :blink:

IMG_0354.jpg

Our goal is to, ever so gently press the unglued portion of the cover to the chest plate.

IMG_0355.jpg

NOTE: To assist the plastic during the bending process I would set the chest plate in the sun for a few minutes. I'm not a huge fan of the heat gun but if you feel comfortable, have at it. Don't warm it up too much or it could soften up the dry glue.

Apple glue to the cover crevasse.  :D I have to smile because that's what it looks like.  Holding it on its side let the glue seep into the gap for a minute or two. 

IMG_0358b.jpg

Using a vise, a very strong wood clamp or something similar prepare to squeeze the two together. NOTE: I would keep a high tension clamp on the dried side for added protection.

NOTE: On the underside of the chest plate place a 1/2" thick x 1" W x 1" L piece of wood. This will help prevent crushing the outer chest plate return edge.

Place a t-shirt between the plastic and clamp. SLOWLY squeeze the sections together. NOTE: I would advise against trying to completely mate the two surfaces in fear of creating a crease mark in the shoulder cover.

IMG_0359.jpg

Let dry for 48 hours.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

7h. Thighs cont.....

Install rear cover strips.

Clean off excess glue and prepare to install cover strips.

IMG_0360.jpg

Measure rear thighs. In my case the rear cover strips are 275mm in length and 20mm wide.

IMG_0362.jpg

Cur out cover strips.

IMG_0364.jpg

Taper the top edge to match the top of the thigh 

IMG_0360-crop.jpgIMG_0366.jpg

Apply glue

IMG_0367.jpg

Install

IMG_0368.jpg

Let dry.

Once dried, remove clamps and magnets. If you so desire remove all excess glue from inner and out cover strips giving it a nice clean look.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0423.jpgIMG_0421.jpg

7i. Reduce all upper and lower thigh return edge material.

Before......

IMG_0420.jpgIMG_0425.jpg

After....

IMG_0429.jpgIMG_0430.jpg

2i. Calves cont....

Installing sniper knee.

Place knee plate on shin, hold in place with a few earth magnets or clamps and check alignment.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

If satisfied, apply glue and install.

NOTE: I was able to hold the sniper knee in place with earth magnets while glue dried. This may not be enough in your case. You may need clamps or similar.

Apply glue to lower corners of sniper knee.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Install glue at top of cover strip. About 1-1/2" worth.

IMG_0381.jpg

Attach to armor.

IMG_0391.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

After initial assembly is complete go back and add more glue to the corners and area you believe might become a issue.

Here I put it in the corners, the ares that are most prone to problems.

IMG_0387.jpg

Let dry.

2j. Calves cont......

Clean up and remove upper and lower return edges.

If you so desire remove excess glue for inner & outer cover strips and sniper knee.

NOTE: I forgot to mention this before but a great tool for glue removal is a piece of plastic a bit softer than the ABS your working with, in my case I used a cell phone LCD removal tool.

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Removing return edges.

Before....

IMG_0398.jpgIMG_0401.jpgIMG_0399.jpgIMG_0402.jpg

After.....

IMG_0404.jpgIMG_0405.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0407.jpg

1j. Forearms cont......

Cleaning and removing or minimizing all return edges.

Remove excess dried glue if so desired.

Before.....

IMG_0397.jpg

After ........

IMG_0396.jpg

Remove return edge and finalize all corners.

IMG_0434.jpgIMG_0435.jpg

Leading edge (nearest elbow)

IMG_0436.jpg

Trailing edge (nearest wrist)

IMG_0437.jpg

2k. Biceps cont.....

Install final outer cover strip.

Measure the length of the forearms and cur cover strip. In my case it was approximately 158mm in length and 15mm wide.

IMG_0348.jpg

Apply glue to strips.

IMG_0349.jpg

Install.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Let dry.

2l. In mt case I minimize the upper and removed the lower return edges

Before......

IMG_0408.jpgIMG_0409.jpgIMG_0410.jpgIMG_0411.jpg

After.......

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

7m. Reshape biceps. As you'll notice the biceps are oval in shape. I will attempt to give them a more cylindrical shape using the hot water technique.

NOTE: Since my biceps are already assembled I will be doing the shaping by hand. I will be reshaping the lower section of the bicep only since the upper is not that out of round.

NOTE: If you attempt this please use caution and wear all necessary personal protection equipment like full length clothing, heavy rubber gloves (the kind that will not only protect you from water but from heat also), and eye protection. 

NOTE: Practice this procedure several times before actually placing the bicep in boiling water.

1) Bring a pot of water (5" deep) to a boil. 

2) Place the bicep in the water for 30 to 45 seconds.

3) While waiting turn on your faucet, cold.

4) Remove the softened bicep

5) Placing you palms over the cover strips, squeeze the bicep in to the shape you desire.

6) Hold under the cold water for 2-3 minutes.

7) Repeat if necessary until desired shape is achieved.    

Before.....

IMG_0444.jpgIMG_0445.jpg

After.....

IMG_0452.jpgIMG_0454.jpg

Let cool

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

7n. Bicep cont......

Installing shoulder bell retaining clip

Using outer cover strip cut to 150mm in length and 15mm wide. Remove burs from edges before proceeding.

NOTE: Wear heat resistant gloves and eye protection..

IMG_0456.jpg

Starting at one end mark cover strip at the following measurements. 20mm, 50mm and 90mm.

NOTE: The reason I personally put two bends in the clip is to help prevent it from rubbing on your arm.

The first bend will be the loop section.

1) Lay the cover strip on a piece or wood marking up. Place two other smaller pieces of wood on each side of the 20mm line (approx 4mm apart). The two separated pieces of wood help concentrate the heat we want to apply to a specific location.   

2) Using a heat gun, heat the area of plastic in between the wood for about 15-20 seconds

IMG_0462.jpgIMG_0471.jpg

3) Remove and quickly fold over.

IMG_0463.jpgIMG_0465.jpg

4) Next using the same technique heat up the 90mm section. Once heated up bend to a 15 degree angle like so.

IMG_0473.jpg

5) Now the 50mm section. Bend it back 15 degrees.

IMG_0475.jpg

If all goes well your retaining clips should look like this.

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0484.jpg

7o. Attach the clip to the bicep.

Apply glue to the clip like so. You only need to add glue to a 20mm section.

IMG_0486.jpg

Place the glued section just below the thumb print and install clamp.

NOTE: The top of the clip should be approximately 23-25mm from the upper edge on the inner bicep.

IMG_0487.jpgIMG_0492.jpgIMG_0489.jpgIMG_0488.jpgIMG_0494.jpg

... and we wait. 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. life, armor changes, etc. Let's continue on.

Ab cont... today we'll be installing the belt snaps, trim and paint the ab button plates

4j. Belt snap installation. Following the ab snap template, measure and mark ab snap holes. The particular snaps I'll be installing are 15mm "S" snaps, aka poppers.

ab%20snaps%20for%20belt_zpsab0i0ote.jpg

Mark snap holes to drill

Starting with the left side measure 59mm from left center return edge. Then measure 15mm from lower return edge.

IMG_0768.jpgIMG_0771.jpg

Mark right side holes.

Measure 28mm from right center return edge. Measure 15mm from lower return edge.

IMG_0772.jpgIMG_0773.jpg

The distance between the two holes is 343mm.

Drill two 3/16" holes for the male post.

4k. Install snaps. Snap and install identification.

IMG_0967.jpgIMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpg

Install male eyelet through back of ab.

IMG_0815.jpg

Install stud on top of eyelet.

Place something flat and hard at the back of eyelet. I used very hard piece of wood. Using the Stud setter drive the stud down on to the eyelet.

IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0818.jpg

Ab snap complete.

4l. Ab button plates. Trim ab button plates and paint. 

Tools.

IMG_0673.jpgIMG_0686.jpg

Using painter tape cover a piece of excess cover strip material or similar.

IMG_0685.jpg

Using square cut out 9+ 15/32" holes on painter's tape and place over buttons. After all the buttons have been outlined cover remaining exposed ab plates.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0687.jpgIMG_0688.jpg

Prepare to paint grey buttons. Colors as per color chart.

ArmourandHelmetHumbrolPaintColours_.jpg

Cover blue buttons locations. 

IMG_0689.jpg

Paint. Let dry

IMG_0690.jpg

After drying, cover grey buttons and remove tape from unpainted blue buttons. Paint Blue as per color chart.

IMG_0756.jpg

Let dry then remove all tape.

IMG_0801.jpg

7h. Thighs cont.... Installing ammo belt

NOTE: AM belt replaced with ATA.

After trimming ammo belt measure 50mm from either left or right outer box to edge and trim excess. 

IMG_0744.jpg

The overall belt length is 334mm

IMG_0745.jpg

Starting with the right side of the thigh measure 6mm & 6mm from return edge corner and drill 3/32" hole for rivet.

IMG_0747.jpg

Measure mounting hole 10mm & 10mm from edge at both ends of the ammo belt. Drill 3/32" hole

IMG_0748.jpg

Mount right side ammo belt to thigh. Rivets and tools needed.

IMG_0977.jpg

Mount belt. Install eyelet post from the ammo belt inward. Install cap on eyelet. Place something hard under the outer eyelet then using tool drive cap down onto eyelet.

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Wrap ammo belt around thigh, drill a 3/32" hole into thigh at ammo belt left hole location, install rivet similar to right side.

IMG_0981.jpg

Belt should be centered with outer cover strip.

IMG_0983.jpg

In closing I generally apply a small amount of E6000 glue between the ammo belt and front of thigh.

IMG_0984.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

10. Thermal Detonator

Canon reference pic. 

RS%20TD.jpg

Trim excess plastic from caps and face plate.

IMG_0657-crop.jpg

Face plate is approximately 115mm in length. Circumference width approximately 85mm.  

TD%201.jpg

Cap width .78" or 20mm

TD%206.jpg

Cut 2" PVC pipe to 7-1/2"

IMG_0657-crop_1.jpg

10a. Measure .78" or 20mm from outer pipe edge. Reduce the OD (outer diameter) by sanding or other so that the end caps will slip on without much effort. Test before going to next step.

IMG_0662.jpg

Measure and find center of pipe.

IMG_0663-crop.jpg

Add painter's tape to pipe, enough to cover the width of the entire face plate. Locate center of face plate and position it on the pipe and center it with the pipe.

IMG_0665.jpg

Using a pencil outline the face plate on the painter's tape. 

IMG_0666.jpg

Remove outer section of tape that has been outlined.

IMG_0667.jpg

Scuff up the remaining uncovered pipe surface using 3m scotch brite pad or similar.

IMG_0668.jpg

Install painter's tape where end caps will be later installed.

IMG_0669.jpg

10b. Paint assembly grey with approved color. 

TD%2017.jpg

Let dry. After drying remove tape.

IMG_0679.jpg

Center and glue faceplate to tube with E6000. Let glue dry.

TD%2019.jpgTD%2021.jpg

After drying.

TD%2022.jpg

10c. Making TD clips

Using 1/16" x 1-1/16" aluminum band metal, cut two 9" sections.

IMG_0699-crop.jpg

Using a pencil measure and mark strip in the following sections. 1/2", 2-1/2", 5"

IMG_0694.jpg

Round corners on one edge. 

IMG_0700.jpg

Establish the center of the strip a drill a 11/32" hole at the 1/2 & 2-1/2" locations.

IMG_0702-crop.jpg

Using a separate pipe made of thicker material drill two holes for separate screw that will be used for bending the straps or use self tapping screws. Mount 1/2" hole to pipe.

IMG_0704.jpg

Place opposite end of pipe in vice or clamp to a table or bench.

Double checking to ensure strap in perpendicular to pipe, wrap strap around pipe 180 degrees from mount screw.

IMG_0708.jpgIMG_0709.jpg

Remove strap from pipe. Notice the section of strap on the 1/2" side is straight, you will need to bend this. 

Using a vise if possible place a piece of heavy cloth in the jaws. Install 1/4" section of strap, tighten and slightly bend a curve into the section. Note: a pair of pliers or channel lock wrench will work also but you'll need to take to evenly bend the area.

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Place the clips on the edge of a piece wood curved side up. Place the 5" marked section at edge. Placing one hand on the table side and the other on the exposed side begin to crease the metal.

IMG_0717.jpg

Place a 1/8" piece of round iron or similar in a vice or clamp to a table. Continue to fold the edge around until it is parallel with the curved but flat section. Note: it's not a great idea to use a screw driver as I did but it served a purpose. ;)  

IMG_0718.jpg

Using a file taped with duct tape place the file in between the bent sections near the end.

IMG_0719.jpg

Clamp section nearest to clip bend.

IMG_0721.jpg

After bend your clips should look like this.

IMG_0723.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Thermal Detonator cont...

10d. Final Assembly.

Temporarily install TD end caps. Install clips by first aligning them with the caps and face plate. 

TD%2028.jpg

Mark holes to be drilled.

TD%2031.jpg

TD%2033.jpg

Drill 3/32" holes and install #8 x 1/2" aluminum pan head screws or similar.

IMG_0693.jpg

TD%2036.jpg

Install clips.

Once installed though not a requirement slightly bending the clips roughly half way through the remaining straight section (seen below) will give the clips a little extra bite on the cloth waist belt hopefully preventing little hands from walking away with your TD during troops. 

IMG_0730.jpg

Side note: For the record, screen accurate clips have a slight bend (curvature) throughout the length of the straight section mentioned above, as well as a slight bend roughly 1/4" from the end as seen in the following reference photo. 

gallery_12157_59_4517.jpg

Using a piece of 1/4" round iron or similar, place iron under 50mm section (or half the distance of the straight section) and gently press strip towards assembly. NOTE: This can also be done prior to attaching the clips to the tube. 

IMG_0731.jpg

Glue end caps and paint screws. Don't forget to paint the screw heads black. This is a requirement at the higher levels of approval.

TD%2039.jpg

Overall length roughly 7 1/2"

TD%2041.jpgTD%2044.jpgTD%2045.jpg

TD%2037.jpg

Finished.

• Like 1

Nbd, just providing the most comprehensive, easy to follow build thread EVER... geez Tony, you're seriously knocking this one out of the park! Definitely looking to your expertise when in doubt, you make it look like child's play ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Starrfox1
  • Like 1

11. Belt assembly

In the following section I will be assembling the belt with the following items, AM ammo belt, Tkittle cloth belt (3" wide), "S" snaps (female), ATA drop boxes and holster (not sure sure who made it but is withing specs).

Starting with the ammo belt trim side edges to within 3mm of box edge. Overall length is 18-1/4" or 464mm, width is 4" or 102mm. 

IMG_0500.jpg

Measure and mark the center of the belt.

IMG_0502.jpg

From the center measure 1-1/2" in each direction for a over all width of 3"

IMG_0503.jpg

Using a angle square measure cut corners to 45 degrees. 

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

11a. Cloth belt.

Measure the length and width of the belt to determine its center. In my case the belt was 54" in length and 3" in width. The center was 26" and 1-1/2".

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Place and center ammo belt on cloth belt and align the ammo belt center mounting hole. Using a pencil mark the cloth belt through the outer ammo belt mounting holes.

NOTE: The ammo holes were already drilled at 1/8" 

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Before proceeding I highly suggest marking the cloth and ammo belt which direction is up to avoid accidentally incorrectly marking rivet and snap locations. Coming from experience. ;)  

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Determine and mark center of ab plate. This is the location the cloth belt will be centered to.

IMG_0805.jpg

Lay your cloth belt across the ab centering the belt with the ab. The top of the cloth belt should be approximately 1/4" below the return edge of the ab button plate return edge (sorry, forgot to take a picture here so I illustrated it, well...tried).  :blink:

IMG_0805_1.jpg

Ensuring the belt is level with the ab mark belt in locations opposite of male snaps on ab.

IMG_0813.jpg

Once snap locations are established, double check. Next using the punch tool provided with the "S" snaps (approximately 1/8"), punch holes in belt.

IMG_0819.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0822.jpg

11b. Installing drop boxes

Let's take a look at a our template. Were going to use the measurements for "Stunt"

drop%20box%2010.jpg

Measure and mark horizontal locations for holster Chicago screws. Start with the left mount hole closest to ammo belt, 20mm from ammo belt. Then measure approximately 114mm from left mount location to outer mount location. Finally measure 15mm from cloth belt edge vertically to the horizontal locations.

drop%20box%2011.jpgdrop%20box%2012.jpgdrop%20box%2013.jpg

Using 5/32" leather punch, punch hole for holster mount screw.

drop%20box%2017.jpg

drop%20box%2018.jpg

drop%20box%2019.jpg

Measure and mark holster mounting straps approximately 40mm from the top edge of holster pouch.    

drop%20box%2014.jpg

Using same punch, create hole for mounting screw.

drop%20box%2015.jpg

drop%20box%2016.jpg

Mount holster placing the female portion of the screw facing outward.

drop%20box%2020.jpg

11c. Drop box & installation

Trim outer and inner drop boxes

Measure and trim drop box width to approximately 10mm in width. Inner drop box a bit thinner.

drop%20box%206.jpgdrop%20box%207.jpgdrop%20box%208.jpg

drop%20box%209.jpg

Using 3/4" white elastic measure and cut a 10-1/2" (265mm) section x2.

drop%20box%2021.jpgdrop%20box%2022.jpg

Install elastic around cloth belt. Place belt approximately 2mm from ammo belt. Mark elastic and inner drop box locations.  

drop%20box%2027.jpg

Using 1/8" leather punch create holes in elastic.

drop%20box%2028.jpgdrop%20box%2029.jpg

drop%20box%2030.jpg

Drill 1/8" hole in inner drip box.

drop%20box%2039.jpg

Align boxes with ammo belt edge. Note location of elastic in relation to belt snap, mark and cut. Do this for both sides.

drop%20box%2042.jpg

drop%20box%2033.jpgdrop%20box%2043.jpg

drop%20box%2026.jpg

Using 1/8" x 1/4" pop rivet, rivet elastic to inner drop box. I personally use aluminum rivets and washers to avoid corrosion and the washer give the elastic a bit more to hang on to. In other builds I also added a bit of E6000 between the elastic and drop box for added strength.

63894b80-8208-4023-ad78-d0c1c9fcaf59.jpg

I personally ad a strip of E6000 between the elastic and canvas belt to keep the drop box from walking around.

drop%20box%2032.jpg

At this point glue inner drop box to outer drop box using E600 or CA glue. Another option is to place velcro between the two to use as storage boxes. 

drop%20box%2041.jpg

Finished. Note: later on in this tutorial this AM belt was replace ATA  which is Centurion approveable, this AM belt version is not. 

IMG_1501.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2