Ukswrath's AM 1.0 build

ukswrath

Hey all, I was asked by a fellow garrison member to assembly his AM armor and decided to post the build process. Enjoy.

Armor: AM 1.0 

Helmet: MTK (Initial ATA build idea was scrapped and a MTK bucket was purchased already built. No helmet build will be illustrated sorry)

Note: The original armor overlap connecting sections will be replaced with butt & strip found in current builds for Centurion level approval. The Chest and Back plates will be replaced for Centurion level approval. The Thermal Detonator was replaced for 501st basic approval and the thigh Ammo belt was replaced for aesthetics reasons.

For the record, INNER COVER STRIPS illustrated in my build are NOT required NOR are they needed to assemble armor. In my opinion only they make the AM armor assembly much easier and give the interior a cleaner look, for those who care about such things.  

Tools:

Pencil

Exacto knives, large & small

Scissors

Steel straight ruler (metric)

Dremel with sanding wheel or sand paper. Small carbide bit for helmet teeth or small file.

3M scotch brite pad (any color, gradient)

Drill

5/32" & 1/8" drill bits

Leather punch (5/32" tip)

Rivet setting tool

Hammer

Screwdriver (blade)

Spring clamps (set or 12 or more in various sizes)

Earth magnets 1/2" x 1/8" (12.7mm x 3.1mm), 20 to 40 magnets

Pop Rivet Gun

Scrap 2" PVC pipe

2" washers with 1/2" hole

Painters tape

PPE (Personal Protective Equipment): I can't stress enough how important it is to wear PPE, especially when working with some of the tools listed above. Wear it!

Safety glasses - Hardware store

Cut resistant gloves - Hardware store

1/2 Respirator. Sanding releases small carcinogens into the air. Protect your lungs. - Hardware store or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NDN29O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Material:

E6000 - two to three+ 2oz tubes, or two+ 3oz tubes

Zap-A-Gap & Zip Kicker

Nylon webbing - Black 1" wide (6' in length recommended)

Elastic - White 2" wide (2' in length recommended)

Elastic - Black 3/4" 

Paint:

Gloss black:     Humbrol # 21    Testors # 1747

Gray:               Humbrol # 5       Testors # 1138

French Blue     Humbrol # 14    Testors # 2715

1/8" x 1/4 Aluminum pop rivets. (waist belt)

1/8" Aluminum rivet washers (optional, waist belt)

Snaps & Rivets

1) Ab - "S" snaps (poppers) 15mm, (bag of 15 is the smallest)- http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2) Ab - "S" Snap die punch and set tool 15-17mm, (1x) - http://www.ebay.com/...=item5413a405e2

NOTE: For the "S" snaps and set tool kit you may need to contact the seller who is in the UK and have him set up a auction with US shipping. The original sales did not have a ship to US option at the time I purchased the items.

3) Thigh Ammo Belt - Double Cap Rivets (smallest bag available) - http://www.ebay.com/...=item35d9a33a26 or http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/or Hobby/Craft store.

4) Thigh Ammo Belt - Double Cap rivet tool (1x) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUBLE-CAP-RIVETS-SETTER-8100-00-8056-00-Rivet-ANVIL-BASE-Tandy-Set-Tool-Kit-/301606252893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463922315d, or http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/, or Hobby/Craft store

5) Ab/Kidney - Split rivets (bag) - http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f34d5521b or http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/

6) Ammo to cloth Belt - Pop Rivets (box) - 1/8" x 3/16", Amazon or any hardware store

7) Inner strapping - Line 24 snaps, nickle, 100ct (recommended), Tandy - https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1263-12.aspx. Fasnap - http://fasteners.fasnap.com/viewitems/snap-fasteners---screw-studs/standard-snap-fasteners? 

7a) Inner strapping (canon brackets) Not illustrated in this build. For informational purposes only -  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20859-accurate-anh-stormtrooper-strapping-brackets-v-20-now-available/

8) Shoulder to Bicep - Dritz Sew in Snaps, Nickle, Size #10 -http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Sew--Snaps-Size-10/dp/B000A8BMDQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437571813&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Dritz+4+Sew-On+Snaps+-Size+10&pebp=1437571823499&perid=1H34HYH1DNAAPPP1R3H1

Other:
Thigh Garter belt - 

Sections:

1. Forearms FINISHED

2. Biceps FINISHED

3. Calves/Shins (lower leg) FINISHED

4. Ab FINISHED

5. Posterior FINISHED

6. Strapping FINISHED

7. Thighs FINISHED

8. Chest and Shoulders FINISHED

9. Shoulder Bells FINISHED

10. Thermal Detonator FINISHED

11. Belt FINISHED

12. Back Plate FINISHED

13. Kidney FINISHED

14. Fitment Alterations FINISHED

15. Final Pictures FINISHED

16. EIB Submit FINISHED

17. Centurion Submit

IMG_0042-crop.jpg

Let's begin.

1. Starting with the Forearms (before trimming)

IMG_0044.jpg

1a. Prepare forearms for trimming. NOTE: Forearms were marked during fitment. 

Inner forearms - Locate fitment markings.

IMG_0047.jpg

Identify areas to be removed.  

IMG_0046.jpg

1b. Remove inner forearm excess plastic.

IMG_0058.jpg

1c. Outer forearms - Identify return edge. From return edge measure out 8mm. Mark location and prepare to cut off excess plastic.

IMG_0052%20corrected.jpg

1d. After trimming

IMG_0060.jpg

1e. In this section we will install cover strips on the inner and outer forearm sections on the side that faces towards the front of your body. 

NOTE: I've found with armor like AM that uses over lap seams, when converting to butt & strip, starting with the sides that face the front or your body give the armor a cleaner look.

NOTE: Prior to assembly leading forearm return edges (near elbow) were minimized and trailing return edges (near wrist) were removed. Fine tuning those areas will continue once the forearm assembly is complete.

Clean both inner and outer forearm sections and prepare for assembly.

IMG_0062.jpgIMG_0063.jpg

1f. Making INNER cover strips - Using excess material cut from initial trimming (or spare cover strip material) cut cover strips to 15mm, the same width in which the outer cover strips will be cut.

IMG_0065.jpg

Ready to assemble.

IMG_0068.jpg

1g. Applying the E6000 glue and cover strips - Apply glue to either the forearm sides or the cover strip.  

IMG_0070.jpg

1g. Using two clamps at the outer edges and earth magnets in between, secure the inner cover strip. 

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpgIMG_0075.jpg

NOTE: Regarding E6000 glue drying times. There's been much debate over drying times, in my opinion given the correct conditions 24 hours is plenty of time. Afterwards continue working with the area however, I would put any heavy stress on it. That I would wait 48 hours.  

2. Biceps. In this section we will measure, trim and begin to assemble the biceps

Before trimming

IMG_0076.jpg

2a. Preparing areas to be trimmed. 

As with the forearms, measurements taken for the initial fitment were identified. Starting at the return edge measure out 8mm and mark cut line.

Remove excess plastic. 

IMG_0077%20correction.jpg

2b. After trimming

IMG_0087.jpg

2c. Preparing to install the inner cover strips. 

NOTE: Like with the forearms we will install cover strips on the inner and outer forearm sections on the side that faces towards the front of your body. 

Clean both inner and outer bicep sections and prepare for assembly. Cut cover strips to 15mm, the same width in which the outer cover strips will be cut.

Ready to assemble.

IMG_0088.jpg

2d. Assembly. Apply glue to the bicep halves or the cover strip themselves,

IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0092.jpg

2e. Using two clamps at the outer edges and earth magnets in between, secure the inner cover strip. 

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0093a.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 5

Edit: Small typo mistakes have been corrected. It's never easy to work with a foreign measure system ! Don't ever ask me to work with inches, etc...  ;)

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 2

Why do you leave 16mm here? Shouldn't it be 8mm?

You're correct Germain, typo on my part. Corrected. I was dog tired when I posted this. Good catch  :duim:

Edited by ukswrath

Day 2.

2f. Biceps continued....

Remove clamps and magnets and clean up excess glue and prepare to install outer cover strip.

IMG_0119a.jpg

2g. I like to scuff up the area where the outer cover strip will be glued with 3M scotch brite. Gives the glue a bit more to hold on to, and in the case of AM connection areas this is highly recommended.

IMG_0121.jpg

Notice how the surface area is roughed up.

IMG_0122.jpg

2h. Measure and cut OUTER cover strips from outer cover strip to 15mm. 15mm is the standard outer cover width for the arms. I always add 1mm for any material lost while cutting and cleaning. Remove any burs or sharp edges from cover strips.

NOTE: Outer cover strip material is different from the inner cover strip material. It's usually provided in sheets from the armor manufacturer and you should have received some with your kit.

IMG_0124.jpg

2i. Install cover strips

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

1h, Back to Forearms.

Like with the biceps clean off excess glue, scuff area cover strip will be glued to. Measure and cut out outer cover strips 15mm.

IMG_0127.jpg

1i. Remove any burs from the edges of the cover strips before installing.

IMG_0129.jpg

1j, Glue outer cover strips in place. Again, use clamps on the outer edges and magnets in between the clamps. 

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

While the glue is drying on the forearms and biceps let's move along to the shin. 

3. Shins. AM shins are unique being though they appear similar in the front as most armor (inner and outer sections for left and right shins) however, they are much different in the rear. Like with the forearms and biceps the rear calf sections use a overlap connection.

Start off with establishing a return edge line on what will be the left front outer shin. Afterwards perform this task on all four shin sections.

IMG_0095_1.jpg

3a. After establishing return edge, we'll measure out 10mm to establish a cut line.

IMG_0099.jpg

3b. Remove excess plastic on all shin sections.

IMG_0100.jpg

3c. Now for the rear.

Sides WITH a return edge - Locate and mark return edge. Perform this on both left and right shin halves. 

From there measured out 13mm out (1mm for trimming) to establish a cut line.

NOTE: The total between both left and right sections will be approximately 25mm, the standard for rear calf cover strip. 

IMG_0106.jpg

Overlap side, WITHOUT a return edge - NOTE: Everyone's shins/calves are different so this section may differ on your armor assembly and fitment measurements. 

Being there is no return edge on this side first establish a "would be" return edge taking measurements from the opposite side, side with a return edge. From there measured out 13mm out (1mm for trimming) to establish a cut line.

IMG_0104.jpg

3d. Cut off excess material.

IMG_0106a.jpg

This is what you should have left over.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

2e. Prepare front shin sections for assembly.

Cut inner cover strips. The length of the inner cover strip may vary so basically I will place it just below the upper return edge to just above the lower return edge. The width will be the same as the outer cover strips 20mm.

Apply glue to shin halves or cover strips and install. 

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

While the calves are gluing let's work on the Ab.

Edited by ukswrath

4. Abdomen

First order of business, the cod. Slice off about 2.5cm, then rounded it off.

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

4a. Mark the cod rivet hole 2cm from the newly cut end of the cod. 

IMG_0196.jpg

4b. Drill 5/32" hole for cod rivet.

IMG_0198.jpg

4c. Take a split rivet and cut it down. 

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Test fit the rivet to the male snap.

IMG_0194.jpg

4d. Assemble cod rivet assembly.

Start by placing the split rivet on something hard like concrete or similar. Place a old t-shirt between the rivet and the hard object to help avoid scratching it. Using a small chisel and hammer drive the chisel into the split river like a wedge. This should force the rivet to to wedge against the male snap inner wall. 

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

4e. Ab side split rivets.

Measure and drill side ab split rivet holes per template.

splitrivetplacement.jpg

Starting from the top of ab return edge and measure down 20mm, 80mm, 150mm. This will evenly space holes. From the ab to kidney edge measure 10mm. 

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

4f. Using a 5/32" drill bit drill holes.

IMG_0210.jpg

Ab side rivet hole completed and ready to install strapping.

4g. Ab right side snap base. NOTE: In this section the right side snap will be made functional.

Starting at the top of the right side ab return edge measure down 20mm.

IMG_0213.jpg

Then measure for the ab to kidney side 20mm

IMG_0212.jpg

4h. Using a 5/32" drill bit drill snap hole. After drilling hole take a 3/8" drill and by HAND slowly counter sink the hole.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

4i. Install side snap base using snap setting tool.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Done with the Ab for now.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Time for the Posterior. EDIT: All armor adjustments and and rivet placements are made from preliminary fitment measurements of the armor owner. 

5. Posterior (Posterior & snaps)

Posterior - Remove excess snap section plastic. From outer edge measure and remove 4cm worth of material.. 

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

5. Install snaps. 

From newly cut edge, measure first hole to drill at 15mm, 2nd hole at 35mm. 

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

5a. Using 5/32" drill bit, dill both holes. Once completed take a 3/8" drill bit and by HAND counter sink the newly drilled holes on the exterior side of the armor.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

5b. Install male snap and base.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Remove burs, bevel edges and chanfer corners with a dremel, sand paper or exacto knife.

Posterior completed for now. Day 2 completed.

Edited by ukswrath

Ok I was bored in between assemblies and made a few snap mounts for the strapping system we'll be using.

6. Strapping system

Starting with 1" black nylon webbing, I cut and cauterized twenty 1-1/2" long sections.

IMG_0222.jpg

6a. Using a 5/32" leather punch, punched holes for the male snap mount.

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

6b. Using snap setting tool assemble snap sets.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Ok now I'm done for the day.

Day 2 completed.

Edited by ukswrath

About the cover stripes, i don't see it mentionned but one thing i like to do before gluing them is to cut the corners:

img_0110.jpg

med_gallery_12157_59_60802.jpg med_gallery_12157_15_51563.jpg

And for the butt plat, i think i would have removed all the flat section and place the two snaps accordingly. If the guy you're building this armor for isn't that large, that would certainly have been enough:

img_0111.jpg

• Like 1

About the cover stripes, i don't see it mentionned but one thing i like to do before gluing them is to cut the corners:

And for the butt plat, i think i would have removed all the flat section and place the two snaps accordingly. If the guy you're building this armor for isn't that large, that would certainly have been enough:

EDIT: To be clear, the cover strip corners will be chamfered, just not at the cannon level angles. For the sake of canon specifications Germain's is correct regarding what cover strips should look like.

As for the cod rivets. From preliminary measurements the rivets will remain where they are however, anybody that has built armor knows things change as may this area. Stay tuned.

How did you decide to cut the butt off by 4cm?  Was that a fitment decision, or based on some other piece of armor?

From preliminary measurements of the armor's owner.

:popcorn: What a lucky guy to have you working on his armor! Are you planning on giving the bucket your electronic makeover too? 

HAHA thanks Jason, he will get the Hovi speaker system and possibly my new Stormtrooper Hearing Assist System (aka SHA). Since the complete system is still under development that honor is still reserved for just me......at the moment lol   

Edited by ukswrath

Installing the male snap using the split rivet in the cod plate is an idea I will definitely be adding to my build. Very smart indeed!

Edited by Khazid
  • Like 1

Installing the male snap using the split rivet in the cod plate is an idea I will definitely be adding to my build. Very smart indeed!

Hey Brandon, Thanks, works very well. 

I had my snaps the same way on the butt plate.  Like you said though, things do change.  After some test fits and some uncomfortable poking, I cut a portion more off that tab and put a snap there and another one on the curved section of the butt plate.  FWIW.  Great build so far and awesome job with documenting it.  i'm guessing it was a lot easier that the first order TK.   Your making want to build another TK....so addicting.

I had my snaps the same way on the butt plate.  Like you said though, things do change.  After some test fits and some uncomfortable poking, I cut a portion more off that tab and put a snap there and another one on the curved section of the butt plate.  FWIW.  Great build so far and awesome job with documenting it.  i'm guessing it was a lot easier that the first order TK.   Your making want to build another TK....so addicting.

Hey Jamie, thanks brother. Yea at first I wasn't sure that I wanted to build another classic TK but after starting in on this one it's been a blast so far. Funny, all the things you learn during and after your first build comes into focus on everything afterwards, granted it stays fresh in your mind lol.

• Like 1

Day three.

1k. Forearm cont... 

Installing the opposite side inner cover strips.

Preparation, Clean forearm sections. Cut inner cover strip material. NOTE: Width can vary though I personally cut them the same size as the outer cover strip which is 15mm.

IMG_0259.jpg

On this side we'll need a little help with keeping the two halves together so painters tape works excellent. Stronger clamps will also be needed to help keep the two halves aligned and secure while the glue dries.

IMG_0260.jpg

At this stage applying glue to the strips is the only logical option.

IMG_0262.jpg

Place them into position. Add clamps and magnets.

IMG_0263.jpg

1l. Installing the outer cover strips.

Preparation, after glue has dried clean off all the excess glue.

Cut cover strips width 15mm. The length will vary due to the leading and trailing forearm edges will not be completed until this portion has been completed. Bevel rough edges and chamfer corners on cover strips. Apply glue to strips.

IMG_0311.jpgIMG_0312.jpg

Installing cover strips.

Center the cover strips between the two forearm sections and between leading and trailing edges. Again, leading and trailing forearm edges and cover strip lengths will be finalized once glue has dried. 

IMG_0314.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

2j. Bicep cont... Prep opposite side for assembly.

Install painters tape to help secure align the two halves. Place outer half of bicep in vise or wood clamp to align sides.

Apply glue to inner cover strips.

Install and secure with end clamps and earth magnets.  

IMG_0316.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

2f Calves cont.... Installing front cover strips.

Clean excess glue from calf cover strip surface.

IMG_0317.jpg

Measure distance from the top calf return edged to just above the lower return edge. 

Cut cover strips. In my case the length was 372mm. The width will be 20mm. 

Bevel rough edges and chamfer corners. 

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Apply glue to cover strip. Install cover strip from the top of the shin to the bottom just above the return edge. Secure with clamps and earth magnets.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

2g. Installing calf rear cover strip (right calf). 

Measure the right calf section from just below the return edge just above the lower return edge.

Cut rear cover strip length, in my case 326mm and width 25mm.

Beveled rough edges and chamfer corners. 

IMG_0294.jpg

Apply glue and install cover strip from just below the upper return edge to just above the lower return edge.

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Edited by ukswrath