In Memoriam

Notable Troops
Memoirs of a Stormtrooper

Storming Australia
Advanced Tactics Awards
Follow FISD

http://whitearmor.net/images/newsletter2015/fromthedetachmentleader.png

Aloha kakou, 

This edition of Detachment Leader newsletter rambling is all about our Costume Reference Library (CRL). 

As mentioned in the last newsletter the Female Legacy Trooper CRL was finished earlier this year. I still have to update the images with higher resolution versions but more importantly with it going green Garrison Membership Liaisons (GML) can now approve the costume locally. The CRL was written out on the open with input from the FISD community. This was a fun process to participate in and watch. 

That process is happening all over again with The Force Awakens (TFA) First Order Stormtrooper CRL in the detachment area of the forum. We have some words down but there is still a lot of work to be done. My hope is to have a version of this CRL up on the 501st site in early July. This will allow the first wave of TFA troopers to be approved paving the way for the next group. Also written up in the last newsletter is we received confirmation via a Vanity Fair article that the TFA TKs are in fact bad guys. I am quite relieved that here is no ambiguity about the antagonists in TFA

Recently the detachment voted on (only 29 votes?!) enacting a CRL change policy. As it stands now there is no formal process on the Legion level for a Detachment Leader to propose changes to the Legion Membership Officer. To ensure that every future FISD DL follows the same procedure this policy was created. 

The two main takeaways from this policy are:

• Every change must be communicated to the detachment by the DL regardless of the method
  • Having the detachment vote on a CRL change is the preferred way of modifying our standards.

FISD CRL Policy

INTRODUCTION

This document serves as the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (FISD) policy pertaining to changes to the Costume Reference Library (CRL) for all Stormtrooper costume variants. As of this writing of this policy no formal 501st Legion process has been implemented for a detachment to advise the Legion Membership Officer (LMO) on changes to the TK CRLs. The purpose of this detachment level policy is to ensure consistency in the process as well as create a clear understanding within FISD on how and when CRLs are updated. 

ROLES

Legion Membership Officer (LMO)
Per the Legion Charter the LMO supervises the Detachment Leader and represents the detachment on the Legion Council. The LMO has final say regarding all changes to the FISD CRLs. It is preferable that the LMO consult the FISD DL before updating the CRLs, however LMO may make changes at his/her discretion. 

Detachment Leader (DL
As the chief administrator of FISD the DL is the solely responsible fo communicating with the LMO on all CRL matters including proposing changes and edits. The DL coordinates all activity within the detachment related to CRL changes. These activities include the scheduling of voting on CRL changes, deciding what CRL changes are to be voted on by the detachment membership, and communicating any and all changes to the detachment membership. 

FISD Provost Marshal (PM)
The PM is responsible for posting and moderating CRL change discussion threads and creating the CRL change poll threads. 

FISD Detachment Membership 
The detachment membership consists of registered forum users with approved TK costumes. All detachment members encouraged to participate in the discussions surrounding proposed CRL changes in addition to voting for proposed CRL changes. 

CRL CHANGES

There are three mechanisms by which a FISD CRL is changed. They are detachment membership vote, DL discretion, and LMO intervention. All CRL changes regardless of the method must be communicated by the DL to the detachment membership in a timely manner. 

Detachment Membership Vote
A vote by the detachment membership is the preferred method for changing the FISD CRLs. If a DL decides to amend the CRLs in any way only one period of voting per DL term shall occur. The voting process is split into three phases. The first phase is staff discussion, the second phase is a detachment membership discussion period and the second is the voting by way of forum thread poll. 
The steps by which a proposed change is put up for vote are as follows:

• Once elected the DL decides if and when to change the CRL.
  • DL creates a post in the staff area of the forums detailing the proposed changes one month before the membership discussion period. 
  • Two weeks before the voting period the PM creates discussion threads in the Detachment Only section of the forum. Each thread shall have the proposed wording changes or additions listed in the first post. 
  • Voting begins after two weeks of membership discussion. The PM shall create a thread per change with a forum poll associated with the change. The exact wording of the changes must be listed in the first post. The membership then votes for the specific wording in the poll thread. 
  • At the conclusion of a two week voting period the DL posts in the GML section on the 501st forums proposing changes for the LMO’s review. 
DL Discretion
There may be special circumstances when the DL requests a CRL change directly with the LMO. If the DL decides to make a change the membership must be notified by posting in the Detachment Only section of the forum.

LMO Intervention
The LMO has final say on all CRL changes and may decide to make a change without consulting with the DL. This method is discouraged by FISD.

There is a discussion currently open in the detachment area of the forum about removing the Centurion requirement for the kidney notch. I alone proposed this change on principle. I alone proposed this and I may be the only one who feels this way among the staff.

My first reason for proposing a vote on it is that the change went in without the detachment voting on it. This is of course the discression of the DL (see above). AT the time there was enough uproar over it that I feel a vote is required. This requirement goes against the spirit of the Centurion program and starts to creep into the tenuous area of prop replication. I am drawing a line in the sand with this one requirement.

Additionally our CRLs are already too restrictive and often a barrier to people leveling up with their armor. Why make it harder for members to reach Centurion for something that no fan is ever going to notice? While there are many level 3 requirements that fans cannot see, this small thing is one too many for this Detachment Leader. My assertion is that when cut into a kidney plate that does not have the notch it ends up looking worse than if there was no notch at all. Seeing as most of the armor out there has no notch I believe it to be unnecessary extra work for someone trying to achieve Centurion. As you read this please also bear in mind that I am the DL who made it so overlap construction was no longer allowed for Centurion. It is not a matter of me not caring about accuracy, this is a matter of caring about the state of our CRLs. 

To remove any and all ambiguity our new LMO added explicit wording to each and every FISD CRL that the FX helmet is no longer permitted for new approvals.

The other tidbit that was removed last year from the FISD CRLs is the mention of the MRCE/eFX helmets needing modification for basic approval. I will be adding that wording back in at my discretion later this week. 

In other news racing shirt orders will start up later this week, patches are due to arrive around the same time, and you'll likely see FISD hats for sale in the middle of the summer. Stay tuned for all your swag needs.

gallery_14191_43_109668.png

Racing Shirt V2 teaser!

With Aloha and Unquestioned Loyalty,
Eric Brager
TK-9674 "Darth Aloha"
Detachment Leader

http://whitearmor.net/images/newsletter2015/inmemoriam.png

Sir Christopher Lee, 1922-2015

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ytDAJ1is--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1292538955476549157.png

The legendary British actor Sir Christopher Lee — known to many for his roles as Dracula, Scaramanga in The Man With The Golden Gun, Saruman in The Lord of the Rings and Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels — has died. Lee, who was suffering from respiratory problems, passed away in Hospital on Sunday (6-7-15).

A veteran of World War II, Lee’s acting career began in the late 1940’s, but shot to stardom in the following decade thanks to several starring roles in the Hammer Horror film series, including Frankenstein’s Monster, the Mummy, and of course, Count Dracula — a role he would go on to play 10 times in his long career before finally laying it to rest in the 1970’s.

With over 280 acting credits to his name, Lee’s career is far too dense and varied to list in its entirety, but he was defined by his villainous roles: aside from Dracula, he is of course known for roles like Lord Summerisle The Wicker Man (a role Lee considered to be his finest), Francisco Scaramanga in the 1974 James Bond film The Man With The Golden Gun, and more recently as Saruman the White in both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, as well as Sith Lord Count Dooku in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. He was knighted in 2009 for his services to Drama.

Adapted from i09.com. For the complete article with videos, click here.

For 22 incredible facts about the life and career of Sir Christopher Lee, click here. Highly recommended read.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Count_Dooku.png

Buckets off troopers.

With Unquestioned Loyalty,
Clint
TK-16311 "cm325i"

FISD Imperial Propaganda Department

http://whitearmor.net/images/newsletter2015/notabletroops.png

This month's Troop of the Month goes to the first 2015 Disney Star Wars Weekend at Disney World because any large gathering of shiny whites is worth mentioning. Thank you to both PiettLives and BadBatch for sharing their photos

In choosing June's Troop of the Month it has come to the staff's attention that not enough people are posting their troop photos on FISD. We encourage everyone to do so because we love seeing what everyone is out there doing in costume. It helps to not only inspire prospective troopers but the less active ones to get out there and make some kids smile.

gallery_14191_43_94425.jpg

gallery_14191_43_116465.jpg

gallery_14191_43_422199.jpg

gallery_14191_43_260258.jpg

FISD Imperial Propaganda Department

"May the 4th" Troop at Disney World's Hollywood Studios

Living in the Florida Garrison, we get a lot of very special troops. Don't get me wrong... I love all the charity events we do but as a SW fan, this one was incredible. We received a request from Disney for "20 classic Stormtroopers.

Special requirements: Disney requested that these Stormtroopers be “the best of the best, as close to uniform symmetry as is possible." Of course, I jumped at the chance to be a part of this troop with no idea what we were required to do.

They split us into two groups by size, one morning and one afternoon squad. I have to say that Disney really treats us right! They put us in this killer Prop Room for us to change and rest in. They also fed us Jersey Mike's subs, cookies (gotta have um right?) and drinks. I was in the first squad and after a brief practice we were off on our 20 minute march through the park. Our officer (A Disney cast member) was fantastic as he barked out Imperial decrees and ordered hecklers "shot."

We had 4 different routes through the park and all the while, none of the park guests knew we were coming! We stopped a few times for photos with the guests which was interesting. There were so many people that pretty much only "selfies" could be taken. The best part was that even though there were no official shows, appearances or postings about any special Star Wars events happening in the park that day, EVERYONE was wearing some sort of Star Wars swag!!!

I couldn't have been more proud to stand there and pose with soooo many fans that were celebrating "May The 4th" in their own way. So many shocked and happy looks from the guests as we marched by...simply incredible! I will never forget this troop and to be able to share it with my Florida Garrison TK brothers (and one from Georgia) is all the more special! Thank you Disney for having us out to support the Saga we all hold so dear. I was honored to patrol your park that day!

Ken Heavenridge

"PiettLives"

TK-60168

Tim
TK-51878 "DarkCMF"

FISD Amabassador

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/glenmurry/storming.png

Storming Australia - Mission Complete

jHL7FH8.png

After spending more than 18 months, a total of 430 days on the road walking around the continent of Australia and over 15,000 Km's (@ 9,320 miles), today 15th June has seen Scott Loxley (TD-4857 of 501st Terror Australis Garrison - TAG) finally complete his charity trek!
Media coverage here: http://tenplay.com.a...--storm-trooper

aUH6XgK.jpg

Scott unofficially crossed his start/finish line at Monash Children's Hospital in Melbourne on 7th June a little of ahead of his due date.

Scott at the finish line with some of his fellow Knightfall squad members

dbOB6qt.jpg

sD0O2PI.jpg

Scott spent the week back at home and doing some media then on 14th he walked to the Melbourne Cricket Ground were he met up with other 501st members who shook the tins one last time. For those not aware the MCG is one of the biggest ovals in Australia and it will be hosting an Australian Rules Football game between Collingwood v GWS GIANTS that day with over 100,000 fans in attendance. Over $8000 had been raised on the day.

lUqBve8.jpg

KSxa2Wn.jpg

LKb13Ca.jpg

Monday the 15th Scott then finished his walk from the MCG to Monash Children's hospital which officially ended his round Australia walk.

N4TYhS4.jpg

After raising over $8000 at the MCG, he also received a generous donation from Disney Australia & New Zealand | The Official Home of Disney Down Under, and his fundraising goal of $100,000 was accomplished.

QIhMefc.jpg

Scott, a former Australian Defence Force member, is not sure what he will do next.

"I've got a wife now that's really grounded, and she'll point me in the right direction," he said.

Scott is now looking forward to spending some time with wife Sal in front of the television with a cold drink from the refrigerator.

cs4QFIT.jpg

Donations are still welcome for the next few days https://newmonashchi...aroundaustralia

Glen Rhodes
TK-85421 "gmrhodes13"
Imperial Attache

http://whitearmor.net/images/newsletter2015/advancedtactics.png

This month the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment would like to congratulate:

Expert Infantry Badge Award:
http://www.whitearmor.net/eib/expert_infantry_badge1.png

Ruben Santos  "Crusader_6" TK-34281

Alex "Spycee" TK-42178

Christian Schießl "Saifai" TK-30514

Yessid Ramírez Romero "YESSRAM"  TK-99988

Chad Brewer "Spacebrew" TK-12121

Joseph Pedigo "justjoseph63" TK-10963 (2nd EIB!)

Rid Irnaldi "riddeth" TK-14014

Tommy Heroux "tjr2d2" TK-68911

Dan "MechaPumpkin" TK-66668

Centurion Award:
http://www.whitearmor.net/eib/centurion_badge.png

Marc Hense "Paggeldiwwer" TK-55255

Luke Killam "Lidocaine" TK-44228

Yessid Ramírez Romero "YESSRAM"  TK-99988

Stand tall and be proud of what you have achieved troopers. You will now be deployed into the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Advanced Tactics Roster. Make us proud troopers!

The FISD is always looking for new applicants for our Advanced Tactics program so please do not hesitate to apply if you meet the standards! Our Deployment Officer and armorers are here to help and guide you through to success!

Feel like your armor is up to standards and worth of recognition? Apply for the Expert Infantry Badge Program now!

Want to go the extra mile, raise the standards of Stormtrooper armor, and be the envy of your peers? Apply for the Centurion Program now!

Note: Applicants need to be EIB approved before applying for Centurion.

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan_loh"
FISD Public Relations Officer

http://whitearmor.net/images/newsletter2015/followfisd.png

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor
If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/FISD501st or @FISD501st
follow FISD on Twitter!

Instagram: www.instagram.com/501stfisd

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan_loh"
FISD Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff and the Imperial Propaganda Department,

<End Transmission>

• Like 6

Another excellent read, thank you to all involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk