digitalkid56's: My FIRST TK build (AP Armor)

Hey guys!! Super stoked to start my build! Today is my Big Brown Box day I just got delivered from Mike Gordon from AP.. Just unpacked, ordered a bunch of things off amazon that should be arriving in about a week (clamps, magnets, glue, etc)

Just wanted to introduce myself and start my build/journal the day I received it! I'll be posting my progress along the way, and would welcome ANY suggestions and/or tips (i.e. where to actually start..) my goal is to be 501st approved, then eventually clear centurion.

Meanwhile I'll be referencing all of YOUR build threads all while trying not to mess up as I go along. PEACE OUT from the 808 state for now!! ðŸ¼

post-21550-0-27043300-1434794867_thumb.jpg

post-21550-0-00014600-1434794878_thumb.jpg

post-21550-0-52517600-1434794890_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by digitalkid56
  • Like 1

Welcome Jason! 
Have a load of fun with your build, I'll be following it :)

To start; make sure the ab plate is comfortable around the groin area, for trooping purposes, strap it up to check the movement. Don't cut anything up until you've done that :)

(I'm sure there are many other ways to start, but this method I've heard from several good troopers out there) 

• Like 1

Hey Jason, congrats on getting your brown box. I have the AP armor and love it. You'll have more fun, while challenging, than you think.

Measure and try on the pieces multiple times and cut a little less than measured to start off and always keep your cutting knife sharp.

Congratulations, Jason, on the arrival of your big brown box!  It's an exciting moment that we all love to share.  As everyone has already mentioned, measure several times before making those cuts and ask as many questions as you can think of.

Since you're ultimate goal is to reach Centurion, it's best to start with those standards from the get go.  It's a lot easier to go from the beginning straight to Centurion as opposed to stopping at EIB along the way.

Welcome and good luck. Im just over half way through my AP build. I started with the TD canister as its one of the easy parts.

Make sure you have good lexan curved scissors, an exacto knife, magnets and LOTS of E6000 glue.

Take your time and try to enjoy what can be quite frustrating. Lots of amazing info, help and people here. Anything is possible within these pages!

Orange tip and the wires from the counter to the power cylinders looks wrong... Plus $700!?! A DoopyDoos kit is less than $100 shipped to US... And you get to make it yourself. (:

@kredal I was more interested in the fact that it was a sterling conversion.. I think I would like the feel of a metal blaster vs a light plastic one.. Beyond the orange tip and the wires, anything else off?

UPDATE: 

I started with the helmet, probably not the smartest way to do this, but I used a dremel to trim down the edges.. I'm not quite sure how much to trim off especially around the eyes, so I figured I'll slow it down and sand the rest by hand.. (hopefully i didn't take it down too far).. The edges of the helmet seems like they get covered by the ears or black trim so i just smoothed it out a little after I trimmed along the lines.. I'll take better care once I start the ears since those edges appear to be the most exposed..

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

• 3 weeks later...