Ukswrath's FOTK build thread

ukswrath

Accuracy update cont...

Disclaimer - These accuracy modifications are not mandatory 

Biceps

Another challenging area to update :blink:  

Starting with the pill boxes, mark and prepare to cut out recessed area like that of the chest and ankle.

IMG_3400.jpgIMG_3402.jpgIMG_3403.jpgIMG_3403.jpgIMG_3404.jpg

Now for the seam and ribbed locations. Locate and mark.

Cut area indicated in green.

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

Scribe and cut long seam 

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

Using a dremel or other remove section in red

IMG_3545.jpg

Using a belt sander and dremel or other remove return edges

IMG_3546b.jpg

IMG_3547b.jpg

V notch (return edge removed). Note: Once I have an official name for this area I'll change the wording.

IMG_3549.jpg

Seem trimmed

IMG_3550.jpg

Using a file sharpen V notch giving the edges a sharp look.

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Check overall edge alignment

IMG_3554.jpgIMG_3559.jpgIMG_3561.jpg

Creating inner cover strip. This by far is the most challenging part. The entire seem needs to be covered, this includes the V notch location, greeblie buckle indent and return edges.

I started by measuring the area the inner strip would need to cover and ensure there was enough room to glue. These are rough measurements. Once I have the final cover strip I revise the info here.

Width

IMG_3562.jpg

Length

IMG_3564.jpg

Using left over cover strip material, measure and cut a section for each arm.

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

Making some checks

IMG_3568.jpg

Locate the buckle indent. Measure the bend angles and mark the cover strip where the bends will need to be made.

IMG_3571.jpgIMG_3569.jpg

Establishing the areas to bend 

IMG_3576b.jpg

This is where it get tricky

NOTE: Use heat resistant gloves.

Using a heat gun, wood and heavy duty cardboard, concentrate heat to the bend area and shape them to the bicep. 

Note: This is my first attempt 

IMG_3577.jpgIMG_3580.jpgIMG_3583.jpg

Not too pretty I must say

IMG_3584.jpg

Test fit

IMG_3585.jpgIMG_3588.jpgIMG_3589.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 1

Accuracy update cont....

Belt and center boxes

By now some may be aware the two center belt boxes are 2/3 rubber and the rubber of the belt boxes is shaped in the the contour of the belt. Also the belt itself has a 1/4" thick strip of neoprene rubber between the floor mat material and the nylon belt. 

In this section I will be creating the rubber mount for those boxes and illustrate the 1/4" neoprene strip though the belt assembly as a whole will be discussed in a later post. This is for the accuracy update only.

Starting with the rubber material purchased through Amazon. It's 1" thick x 6" x 6" Sorbothane isolating padding. Pliable and strong.  

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

The boxes. Already assembled they now needed to be split at the joining seems.

7b2266b5-95fe-41c1-9f7a-bc70c438a330.jpg

Once split, starting with right side box (non ribbed), measure the interior dimensions.

IMG_3487.jpgIMG_3490.jpg

Mark and cut rubber section.

IMG_3491.jpgIMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

Using belt sander or other shape to fit box cap correctly, rough up glossy edges and trim corners as needed.

IMG_3532.jpg

Test fit

IMG_3493.jpgIMG_3494.jpg

Measure the left box. Measure and cut rubber

IMG_3495.jpgIMG_3520.jpgIMG_3521.jpgIMG_3526.jpgIMG_3530.jpg

Measure and cut indent in rubber to match indent on box cap

IMG_3533.jpgIMG_3534.jpg

Test fit

IMG_3536.jpg

Ready to drill holes for Chicago mount screws

IMG_3538.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 3

Accuracy updates cont...

Ab box edging

I've seen some pretty awesome corners on reconfigured boxes coming from recent builders. I'm a bit sketched out on how thin my plastic was in the corners so my edges may not be as defined as some but I'm satified with them.

Sand all corners of boxes to give them a sharper look. I used my Black & Decker mouse sander with 220 grit.

before..

IMG_2774.jpgIMG_2773.jpgIMG_2772.jpgIMG_2771.jpg

after...

IMG_2782.jpgIMG_2780.jpgIMG_2779.jpgIMG_2777.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 3

Accuracy update cont...

Bicep one updates complete.

Well after a week or so of being sick I back at it.

So I left off test fitting the inner cover strip. Now let's glue that sucka down. I started with the side with the notch so I know I'll have a nice flat side to glue my notch steps.

IMG_3597.jpg

Install cover strip and clamp

IMG_3595.jpgIMG_3599.jpg

Once dry measure a 2-3mm gap width at the cover strip as the distance between halves.

IMG_3602.jpg

Glue the other side

IMG_3604.jpg

Sand down the cover strip surface to allow for good bonding of the notch steps as well as prep for primer later.

IMG_3609.jpg

Using .75mm yard sale sign material cut out the lower (base) step. From what I've seen in canon pics this is how I believe it's done, who am I kidding, I'm sure it's 3d printed.

NOTE: There are exact measurements for this that are not being disclosed but I will tell you this, take the overall depth of the notch and divide it into 3rds, cut and glue the steps in place as follows. This will be close enough to accuracy trust me. We're talking milometers here.

IMG_3610.jpg

Check fit

IMG_3611.jpg

Cut out step 2 and check fit. 

IMG_3615.jpg

Finally the 3rd layer, and of course I forgot to take a pic, splendid.

So let's assemble these sections.

Start by sanding each section, top and bottom.

IMG_3616.jpg

Apply glue to the cover strip, lower level.

IMG_3617.jpg

Install lower (base) level

IMG_3618.jpg

Install 2nd (middle) level

IMG_3620.jpg

... and finally the 3rd (upper) level

IMG_3621.jpg

Finished!

Before... (though the opposite forearm)

18ddfc85-4535-411b-b6b9-556901567f7f.jpg

After..

IMG_3623.jpgIMG_3626.jpg

Finalize with a bit of level sanding and we're good to go.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Yea well I estimate the screen armor is around 6mm thick judging by some of the pictures I've seen. Since ANOVOS armor is 1/3rd that if not less it doesn't leave us with many options. .75mm was the thinnest plastic I could find and still be able to define the layers. As you said, definitely better than before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, time for a massive photo update. Sorry for the delay, new AWESOME!! job duties tied me up a bit.

Ab reinforcement 2 (ANOVIS really!?)

So during a little paint prep work, which I'll get into a bit later I notice a small crack developing just outside one of the reinforced areas I spoke about earlier on during the reinforcement section. Long story short I decided to reinforce a 6" section on each side of the ad to give it even more support. I'm not going to go into huge detail explaining the steps however, I'll illustrate it with pics. I'm sure you can figure out the jest of it.

Crack... :angry2:

IMG_3787.jpgIMG_3786.jpg

Resolution

IMG_3785.jpgIMG_3789.jpgIMG_3790.jpgIMG_3791.jpgIMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

Heat up the cover strip and form it to the ab BEFORE GLUING!!

IMG_3795.jpgIMG_3796.jpgIMG_3797.jpgIMG_3798.jpg

Apply and little Devcon welder glue, install and clamp (full cure time 45 minutes)

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3807.jpgIMG_3808.jpg

Finished.... again.

IMG_3844.jpgIMG_3843.jpgIMG_3845.jpg

Accuracy updates cont..... well sorta

Ab boxes

After sanding edging I preceeded to start the box mounting process by drilling 1/4" holes in the ab plate box sections.

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Afterwards In installed the 1/4" by 1-1/2" nylon bolt I'll be using to secure the ab boxes to the ab itself. Apply a bit of Devcon Plastic Welder on the head of each bolt.

NOTE: To be clear, in a earlier post I used E6000 to apply adhere the bolts to the boxes. That was temporary, They are now being held on by the Devcon Plastic welder.

IMG_3801.jpgIMG_3802.jpg

Positioned the bolt on the hole.

IMG_3803.jpg

Installed the box and apply clamp.

IMG_3805.jpg

Ensure the bolt is firmly pressed against the box and aligned correctly.

IMG_3809.jpgIMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

Once dry remove either install the nylon nut to secure or as I've done I removed the them for installation at a later date, after painting.

Ab%2035.jpgAb%2034.jpg

Accuracy update cont....

Belt boxes cont..

After making the screen accurate rubber mounts for the center belt boxes and looking at some screen shots I realized both boxes are supposed to be the same thickness, mine were not. The box without the rib was 4mm shorter. This is how it's designed by ANOVOS, nice!

The screen accurate boxes are equal in height in the screen shots, the box with the rib appeared to be most accurate, the box without was not. 

IMG_3538.jpg

To resolve the issue I had to re-glue the base to the box, the box without the rib to be clear. Once dry measure and hacksaw the un-needed section off.

First I measured the width of the Ribbed box which was around 12mm. BTW this is the edge of the original  trim line so I'm assuming it's accurate, or as accurate we're going to get without actual specs..

IMG_3676.jpg

Re-glue the box base, measure and hack off the section I didn't need.

IMG_3677.jpgIMG_3678.jpg

After a bit of sanding it's now the same height as it's brother.

IMG_3680.jpg

• Like 1

Paint Preparation

So this week I prepped the armor for painting. My armor will be painted by a professional painter friend of mine. As mentioned in a earlier post I'm also painting all the greeblies separate from the armor to give the armor a overall cleaner look. This is the reason you haven't seen me glue them on yet. That'll be done after the panting work is completed.

First order of business, using E6000 glue screws to the back of the greeblies, belt boxes, knee caps and hand plates (the screws will be remove later of course) This is done so the items can be place on a foam board for painting.

Important SAFETY information reminder, PLEASE READ!!

So many chemicals we use to assembly armor are toxic. Products like adhesives, fillers, paint, sanding byproducts, these are all toxic to your health and may cause cancer or organ damage over long periods of exposure. I can't stress enough how important it is when using these products to do so in a well ventilated area and/or wear a proper respirator. NOTE: When sanding a well ventilated area in NOT good enough, USE A RESPIRATOR suited for the job.

Thanks for reminding me of this Byranmc

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

Once the glue has dried using scotch brite pads and/or wet & dry 400 grit sand paper remove the gloss from the plastic.

IMG_3708.jpgIMG_3710.jpg

Once done place these items on the foam boards.

IMG_3861.jpgIMG_3860.jpgIMG_3859.jpgIMG_3854.jpgIMG_3853.jpgIMG_3852.jpgIMG_3851.jpg

• Like 1

Paint Preparation cont...

Building up yoke with Devcon plastic welder and applying filler

Instead of using bondo or similar to fill in joints and areas that needed to be built up I elected to use the Devcon Plastic welder being it's strong and pliable enough to be used as a filler. Fortunately for me the only section that required this approach was the yoke. Everything else will receive spot filler.

Regarding how to apply the spot filler. Either add filler to a spreader or apply directly on area to be filled. Using the spreader evenly spread out the filler. There's several Youtube videos that demonstrate how to apply fillers

Devcon Plastic Welder

IMG_2260.jpg

Spreader

Z-_IDzfo5oy.jpg

Here's how it looks after the plastic welder and spot filler putty is applied. 

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg
IMG_3703.jpgIMG_3702.jpg

Once dry sand until you've achieved a smooth surface.

How it looks after sanding. 

IMG_3818.jpgIMG_3817.jpgIMG_3815.jpgIMG_3814.jpgIMG_3724.jpgIMG_3725.jpgIMG_3727.jpg

Ready for primer.

Now for everything else apply spot filler.

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3701_1.jpgIMG_3700_1.jpgIMG_3699.jpgIMG_3698_1.jpgIMG_3697_1.jpgIMG_3697_1.jpgIMG_3695_1.jpgIMG_3694_1.jpgIMG_3693.jpg

Let dry overnight. To be cont....
  • Like 1

Sanding & shaping filler. Sanding plastic gloss off 

First off sand away filler leaving only the valleys and divots. Using 400 grit wet & dry sand paper and a bucket of water I removed the filler as needed. 400 grit is the recommended choice of pre painting by most automotive finishers. 

IMG_3731.jpg

When I needed to get in tight areas like the shin boxes i used a piece of cover strip mater and sand paper.

IMG_3732.jpgIMG_3733.jpgIMG_3734.jpg

Once the filler has been sanded away continue sanding off the ABS plastic shine. Primer and or paint will have a difficult time sticking to it if you don't.  

Here's some before and after pics.

Bell before

IMG_3716.jpg

after

IMG_3717.jpg

Cod before

IMG_3713.jpg

after

IMG_3714.jpg

All components after sanding. Ready for primer.

IMG_3818.jpgIMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3748.jpgIMG_3749.jpgIMG_3750.jpgIMG_3755.jpgIMG_3758.jpgIMG_3759.jpgIMG_3760.jpgIMG_3761.jpgIMG_3762.jpgIMG_3769.jpgIMG_3773.jpgIMG_3774.jpgIMG_3775.jpgIMG_3776.jpgIMG_3777.jpgIMG_3778.jpgIMG_3779.jpgIMG_3781.jpgIMG_3782.jpgIMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3856.jpgIMG_3857.jpgIMG_3858.jpg

To be cont...

​Final preparation

In this section I'll be taping off areas where either greeblies will be glued to later or to protect buckles from the paint.  

NOTE: If you choose to add the greeblies later as I've done tape off the greeblie areas so that they don't receive paint. These areas will be hidden by the greeblies.

Starting with the spats

IMG_3825.jpgIMG_3828.jpgIMG_3829.jpgIMG_3830.jpgIMG_3833.jpgIMG_3836.jpgIMG_3837.jpgIMG_3838.jpgIMG_3839.jpgIMG_3841.jpg

At this point you can choose follow ANOVOS's or anyone else's instructions regarding applying spray can paint or have it professionally painted.

UP NEXT!    More belt accuracy updates, internal strapping and other connections.

• Like 2

Great updates! May I ask a few questions?

1. What did you use to cut out the pill boxes? I'm afraid my Exacto knife skills aren't up to that challenge.

2. I'm still hunting to find PPG DFL1 for filler but my searching has found some alerts about its toxicity. Are you taking any safety steps when using it or is it not as big a deal as I'm reading?

Great updates! May I ask a few questions?

1. What did you use to cut out the pill boxes? I'm afraid my Exacto knife skills aren't up to that challenge.

2. I'm still hunting to find PPG DFL1 for filler but my searching has found some alerts about its toxicity. Are you taking any safety steps when using it or is it not as big a deal as I'm reading?

1. Dremel with carbide cutter as seen here on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDJK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

1a. First drill a hole then use the dremel and carbide bit to do the final trimming. BTW thanks for the reminder to add this to my list of tools.

2. PPG is one of many fillers that can be used. I would encourage you to contact a auto body parts supply in your area and ask if they carry the PPG if not what they recommend that is similar.

As for toxicity, so many adhesives we use to assembly armor are toxic. I can't stress enough how important it is when using these products to do so in a well ventilated area or wear a respirator. Also when sanding, USE A RESPIRATOR people!   

Thanks for mentioning this Bryan, very important safety topics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work so far, will you be showing the attachment of the clip greeblies. What size goes where, etc?

Hey Rob thank you and yes, when everything is back from the paint shop. As illustrated above greeblies and the like will be installed last. 

I now know why your build is taking so long. You spend most of your time taking photos ;)

Awesome build thread, and great details Tony, I just need t win the lotto, and maybe I will get me one of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I now know why your build is taking so long. You spend most of your time taking photos ;)

Awesome build thread, and great details Tony, I just need t win the lotto, and maybe I will get me one of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're probably right, I swear it almost takes as much time to document the build as the build itself.