Ukswrath's FOTK build thread

ukswrath

Gaskets

In this section I'll be assembling the internal gaskets. 

NOTE: Assembly compounds and what to use. The original kit calls for a two part glue (provided). After experimenting with it and CA glue I decided to go with the CA for a couple reason.

1st, I've seen where the seems have came apart for unknown reasons using the factory glue. My thoughts are either the material wasn't prepared (cleaned) well enough or the glue mix process is not fool proof.

2nd, is time. Given the setup times with the factory glue (hours) and the CA (minutes) CA seemed like a more logical choice. I've used CA on many rubber types of compounds and it's worked flawless for me almost every time. I encourage you to MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION. Trial both glues on scrap material and determine for yourself what course to take. If you elect to use the provided two part epoxy please follow the manufacturers instruction in regards to application and precautions. Regardless of which glue you choose to use please wear you PPE, listed below.

Gasket to armor connections: Velcro or snaps. I've seen people use either or. I'll be using Velcro 

Gasket to Body Harness connection: This will be discussed in detail in the Body Harness section later on.

The assembly itself will not change depending on which glue you decide to go with.

Tools:

Scissors

Exacto knife

Old shirt or towel

Stick of wood

Sewing machine or needle and thread (black, canvas strength)

Dish soap

Denatured Alcohol (to remove any oil remaining after the initial washing) 

Material:

ANOVOS two part glue, or CA glue

Velcro (hook side)

NOTE: You can either use Velcro or snaps. (if using snaps I'd suggest using the female on the rubber side and male on the armor side)

PPE:

Latex gloves

Safety glasses

NOTE: In the "1. Identify components" After picture, beneath each shoulder gasket is a longer, single piece of connecting material . I'm assuming it can be, or is supposed to be used to cover the two smaller connection materials giving the area added strength. I couldn't find a reason to use them and so decided to keep them around as extra material in the event something should need repair.

On with it then, first order of business....

1. Identify components. 

Before trimming. Gaaaaaaa! more trimming,  lol

Gaskets%201.jpg

After.

Components are labeled by:

Body location

Assembly Material

Assembly Locations

Connection (armor attachment) locations 

Gaskets%202b.jpg

Bath time...

2. Wash material

Wash with soap and warm water, especially on the back near the edges to be connected. Regarding the connection material, clean both sides yet concentrating on the shiny surface.

Gaskets%203.jpgGaskets%204.jpg

3. Installing velcro (hook side)

Cut the velcro in the following sizes: Average width is 25mm, length is 55mm.

Shoulders - 2 per shoulder (4 pieces total)

Elbows & Knees - 4 per section (8 pieces total)

Gaskets%205.jpg

Gaskets%2011.jpgGaskets%2012.jpg

Gaskets%206.jpgGaskets%207.jpgGaskets%208.jpg

Using a sewing machine or other sew velcro to gasket tabs

Gaskets%2015.jpgGaskets%2016.jpgGaskets%2017.jpg

After...

Gaskets%2018.jpg

To be cont...

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Gaskets cont...

4. Gluing joints (assembly locations)

Starting with the shoulders. Place shoulder gasket ribbed side down, connecting material shiny side up.

Using the Denatured Alcohol clean entire connection material surface and the gasket material approximately 1" from the edge inward. Notice the dull finish.

Gaskets%2089.jpg IMG_2867.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2865.jpg

Place the two small connecting material sections shiny side up with the indented square overlapping each other as such.

IMG_2871.jpg IMG_2873.jpg

Ensure the placement is correct in relationship with the shoulder gasket (ribs facing upward) 

IMG_2876_1.jpgIMG_2875_1.jpg

Apply glue in the following green areas.

Gaskets%2030.jpg

NOTE: DO NOT apply glue in the square area between the two connecting materials, only on the top section. 

Gaskets%2027.jpgGaskets%2028.jpg

Place shoulder gasket over connecting material.

IMG_2874.jpg

Place you hand or a piece of wood over the area for about 20 seconds. Allow for the glue to penetrate both the connecting material and gasket material.

Gaskets%2020.jpg

Let it cure naturally or apply Zip Kicker

Gaskets%2021.jpg

Gaskets%2022.jpg

Flip gasket over, ribbed face down.

Gaskets%2024.jpg

Fold the right side over the back.

Gaskets%2033.jpg

Apply glue to the following areas.

Gaskets%2035.jpg

Fold left side over onto the connecting material with the freshly applied glue. Wait a few seconds and/or apply Zip Kicker

Gaskets%2036.jpgGaskets%2039.jpg

If you still have a gap between the ribs reapply glues to the ribs then fold forcing the ribs together.

Gaskets%2040.jpgGaskets%2037.jpgGaskets%2041.jpgGaskets%2042.jpg

After glue dries your should be left with this.

Gaskets%2043.jpg

Now turn the gasket inside out like this.

Gaskets%2045.jpg

Grab the free Arm pit section with your left hand and twist to the left. The goal here is to ensure the connection materials will align when finished.  

Gaskets%2046c.jpg

Note: The box shaped ends should twist free on top of one another. If any glue made it between and fused the two you will need to separate them before proceeding.

Gaskets%2051.jpg

Continue to twist until the connecting material are aligned with the points facing each other. Check alignment. OK? move on.

Gaskets%2049.jpg

Now fold the material with the newly glued connecting material towards you. 

Gaskets%2054.jpg

Apply glue in the following areas.

Note: Ensure there is no glue on the connecting material boxes. Gluing of the two will be done last.

Gaskets%2056.jpg

Fold the remaining gasket onto the newly glued connecting material. 

Gaskets%2057.jpg

Once glue has dried recheck the alignment of the seam.

If all is good, add glue to the remaining connecting material corners (square areas)

Gaskets%2053.jpgGaskets%2052.jpg

Once dry fold the gasket ribbed side out. Inspect material seam alignment.

Gaskets%2059.jpg

Test fit.

Gaskets%2025.jpg

Finished with the Shoulders. 

Knees & Elbows are much easier and basically the same assembly process.

Apply glue to 1/2 of connecting material. Align and place gasket material (ribbed side up) over the glue.

Gaskets%2065.jpg

Being this is a longer seem it is best to use a block of wood or something similar to evenly distribute the applied pressure.

Gaskets%2067.jpg

Once dry flip gasket ribbed down. Fold over newly glued section (in this case the right side). Apply glue to connecting material then fold unglued (left) section onto it. 

NOTE: It's a good idea to place a towel underneath the sections to be glued to prevent unwanted bonding of other areas.

Gaskets%2073.jpg

Gaskets%2095.jpgGaskets%2096.jpgGaskets%2098.jpg

Check the seem

Gaskets%20100.jpg

If any ribbed seems are not completely bonded, apply more glue to those areas and simply fold the ribs onto themselves.

Gaskets%2076.jpgGaskets%2077.jpgGaskets%2078.jpgGaskets%2079.jpg

That's it!

Remove any remaining connecting material protruding from the edges.  

Finished

Gaskets%20113.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 5

Wow. We're definitely going to have a team build at my place. And you will be the teacher!!!!

Heck someone needs to put out an instructional video for this thing  :laugh1:

Wish I had a build team  ;)

• Like 1

Awesome gasket section above. I will soon make my own choice on which glue etc

My question :any feedback on going w CA glue for this one, (gaskets) so far? Any cracking sounds w movement and or splitting?

Touch ups?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I haven't trooped in it yet so I can't give you a real world experience review. I've used CA glue with other plastic, elastics and rubber materials without any issues hence the reason I went that route. I believe there are others that have also used CA. I would encourage you to ask around from those that are completed and have trooped in their armor to what they're using and how it's working for them. 

Thanks for the compliments  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Trimming cont..... BTW this is going to be heavy pics... FYI.

Before I get started I'd like to add a new tool to my arsenal, the belt sander. Used it in my last TK build and immediately switched over to this bad boy for 90% of the trimming. Loving it. Sorry if this isn't a tool we should be promoting but it's a sanity saver.

IMG_1902.jpg

What grit sandpaper are you using on your belt sander for your armor? I picked this one up based on your recommendation (along with about everything else on your list).

Thanks!

Cripies ! What a build. I went through this whole thread and all i can say is "glad your doing it and not me!"

This will be exciting to see complete. Much luck !

I know you will have another gem to climb into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cripies ! What a build. I went through this whole thread and all i can say is "glad your doing it and not me!"

This will be exciting to see complete. Much luck !

I know you will have another gem to climb into.

Hey Russell how ya doing my friend? Common you know you want to joint this build group haha

Still thinking of a Rebel Fleet Trooper

Well let's get to it. Another russellr2d2 build thread, looking forward to it.... WAIT! WHAT?

Wrong forum buddy  :angry:   :laugh1:

Getting off track just a bit, here's a teaser of accuracy updates so far.

Chest plate

I'll detail the process and progress this weekend.

Teaser%201.jpgTeaser%202.jpgTeaser%203.jpgTeaser%204.jpgTeaser%205.jpgTeaser%206.jpgTeaser%207.jpg

Teaser%208.jpg

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 3

Helmet Electronics in progress. This has nothing to do with the build obviously I just needed break free from all the cutting and sanding and gluing and.... lol

IMG_3297.jpgIMG_3300.jpg0648909c-e9ea-4dd9-a69a-654e59788796.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Accuracy updates: The accuracy updates are not mandatory and not needed for 501st approval. It's simply to make the armor more screen accurate. Feel free to skip ahead past the accuracy update sections or follow along.

Warning: To perform these updates you'll have to cut sections of your armor, grind, file, sand, modify and reassemble. These modifications are not easy to perform but can be done.   

Chest Accuracy Update

Chest before...

Chest%204.jpg

We will start by cutting out the the return edges from the following areas. The return edge material in question is approximately 3mm in width.

Chest%204b.jpg

Chest left. Red line indicate where the cut will be made. You may also notice a double edge indicated in green, this will need to be sanded out.

Chest%207.jpg

Right...

Chest%208b.jpg

Mark the area to be cut

Chest%209.jpg

After cuts..

Chest%2010.jpg

Remove remaining return edge using a belt sander or other.

Chest%2011.jpgChest%2013.jpgChest%2015.jpg

After trimming return edge. Check section edge alignment.

Chest%2016.jpg

Making a template for the inner cover strip joining material. I started by outlining the center, left and right sections.

Chest%2017.jpgChest%2018.jpg

Template measurements:

3mm gap between center chest and outer sections

8mm extra for mounting

Chest%2021b.jpg

Left template finished

Chest%2023.jpg

Section indicated here can either b cut out or bent to accommodate for greeblie buckle indention

Chest%2023b.jpg

Test template

Chest%2022.jpg

Cut connecting material from cover strip material or similar.

Chest%2024.jpgChest%2025.jpg

Mark areas to bend or remove

Chest%2027.jpgChest%2029.jpgChest%2030.jpg

After bending

Chest%2031.jpg

Test fit before gluing

Chest%2032.jpg

Chest%2034.jpg

Apply glue between connecting material and chest section. I used CA glue with zip kicker

Chest%2033.jpg

Chest%2035.jpgChest%2036.jpgChest%2037.jpg

As mentioned before the left chest has a double indent near the crease, it will need to be sanded out.

Chest%2039.jpg

Prepare to glue left side. Mark connecting material 3mm from chest section.

Chest%2041.jpg

Apply glue

Chest%2043.jpg

For some stupid reason I forgot to take pics gluing the outer sides. At this point make the template and create the connection strip for the right side.

Right side..

Chest%2048.jpgChest%2049.jpgChest%2050.jpgChest%2051.jpg

Chest%2052.jpg

Teaser%204.jpg

Glue into place..

Chest%2053.jpgChest%2054.jpg

After gluing the sections together.

Chest%2056.jpgChest%2055.jpgChest%2057.jpgChest%2058.jpg

Teaser%207.jpg

Check the contour of the chest.

Chest%2046.jpg

Chest%2059.jpgChest%2060.jpg

NOTE: If adjustments are needed simply cut out a template from heavy cardboard. Using  heat gun concentrate the heat on a small section of connecting strip. bend as needed.

Chest%2047.jpg

• Like 1

Chest Accuracy Update cont...

Pill boxes and center chest

The pill boxes are hallow with unique black fabric material and gaffers tape behind them.

The center chest replacement upgrade from ANOVOS is acceptable the way it is however, in my opinion it's less than stellar design leaves a lot to be desired and little room to install the screen accurate vinyl decal that's supposed to be used. That said, I've elected to sand it down from the inside until enough material is removed leaving it hallow. By doing this the inside lines will look cleaner and sharper. Afterwards I'll place black vinyl behind it.  This process is just preference and not a CRL requirement, the vinyl decal inside the recessed area is.

Before...

Chest%2062.jpg

Chest%205.jpg

Sanding. I used a hand held Black & Decker Mouse with 80 grit. Took a whole 15-20 minutes. Be careful not to sand too far, only to the point the material wears through.

Chest%2061.jpg

After...

Chest%2063.jpgChest%2064.jpg

Sand and cut out pill boxes.

NOTE: There are exact specifications as to what the pill sizes are to be. If someone is at liberty to say what they are please post it here  :D

Simply put I started sanding from the inside until almost flush with the existing armor. From them there dremel out the remainder.

After...

Chest%202.jpgChest%203.jpg

More to come...

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 3